GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microfilter for Broadband help please... *ASAP*"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/12/03 at 21:34
I've recently ordered Broadband and will have my connection enabled on Monday. I ordered an external ADSL Modem/Router 4 Ethernet Port/USB with two microfilters.
My problem is the microfilters. I need one on every live phone connection in the house right? So one downstairs and one up stairs. The problem comes when the phone upstairs is located in my parents room and the PC that will be getting broadband is in my room. Currently there is an extension lead that runs into my room that has a phone and a 56K modem connected.
Would I need two microfilters? One in my parents room with the phone and extension connected and then one on the end of the extension (which is in my room) with a phone connected? That means I'll need one more microfilter (three in total incl. downstairs).
Im going to order an extra one if so. In the meantime I'll disconnect the phone in my parents room and just put the microfilter on the end of the extension lead (located in my room) with the phone connected, just to check whether the connection is working, would this work?

A lot of questions there I know!, but your help is greatly appreciated. Cheers guys.
Sun 28/12/03 at 21:34
I've recently ordered Broadband and will have my connection enabled on Monday. I ordered an external ADSL Modem/Router 4 Ethernet Port/USB with two microfilters.
My problem is the microfilters. I need one on every live phone connection in the house right? So one downstairs and one up stairs. The problem comes when the phone upstairs is located in my parents room and the PC that will be getting broadband is in my room. Currently there is an extension lead that runs into my room that has a phone and a 56K modem connected.
Would I need two microfilters? One in my parents room with the phone and extension connected and then one on the end of the extension (which is in my room) with a phone connected? That means I'll need one more microfilter (three in total incl. downstairs).
Im going to order an extra one if so. In the meantime I'll disconnect the phone in my parents room and just put the microfilter on the end of the extension lead (located in my room) with the phone connected, just to check whether the connection is working, would this work?

A lot of questions there I know!, but your help is greatly appreciated. Cheers guys.
Sun 28/12/03 at 21:43
"I love yo... lamp."
Stick a microfilter on the main socket coming into the house and then take the extensions off from the microfilter. That's what I do. Hence I only have one.
Sun 28/12/03 at 21:49
I did think of that but the wire that goes into the ADSL part of the microfilter is not long enough, I only have the wire that came with the modem which is about a metre long?!? And that wire needs to stretch from the modem in my room to the live socket.

Cheers Notorious Biggles

Any other info? I might just try and do it with the two microfilters and order a third if needs be and plug it into my extension cable? Hopefully problem solved. :$
Sun 28/12/03 at 22:06
Regular
I think this is your only option http://www.aowi52.dsl.pipex.com/Image1.jpg

the borg

P.S. Ask at bbs.adslguide.org.uk
Sun 28/12/03 at 22:11
"I love yo... lamp."
You ordered two microfilters yeah? So plug one in at the main socket like I said and the second one in at the end of the extension going into your room.
Sun 28/12/03 at 22:14
"I love yo... lamp."
Now looked at Borg's picture and read your post again, properly. What I said last would stand. Once the connection has been filtered everything else coming off of it is fine without a microfilter. So one at the main plug would do the filtering and one in your room would give you a way of connecting router to the line.
Sun 28/12/03 at 23:11
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
theborg wrote:
> I think this is your only option
> http://www.aowi52.dsl.pipex.com/Image1.jpg

That does NOT work. My friend had a similar situation as they have everything from just one socket. He put a microfilter on the socket and then put another microfilter to connect the ADSL near the PC, so 2 microfilters on the same cable. The modem will NOT sync and therefore you will get NO connection. Its ok if you have them on different sockets but you can not have more than one microfilter on the same cable.

The solution would be to get a phone socket in your room or to run the ADSL cable from your parents room. A ADSL cable is basically a phone cable(RJ11) so you might have a long cable around somewhere or you may have to go and get one.
Sun 28/12/03 at 23:16
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Now looked at Borg's picture and read your post again, properly. What
> I said last would stand. Once the connection has been filtered
> everything else coming off of it is fine without a microfilter. So
> one at the main plug would do the filtering and one in your room
> would give you a way of connecting router to the line.

Doesnt work like that, see my post. You could filter the main socket if everything came off it, but you cant connect another microfilter. You could run another cable from the modem to the microfilter. My friend uses his ADSL with no microfilter on the line, and then a microfilter near his PC which allows him to connect it. He only has the one socket downstairs, so for him this is his only way at the moment. If the phone rings he gets disconnected. He could get a long phone cable(RJ11) and run it to the main socket, but his dad cant be bothered to do it.
Sun 28/12/03 at 23:26
"Bothered!"
AS LONG AS THERE IS A MICROFILTER SOMEWHERE BETWEEN YOUR MODEM AND THE WALL JACK...All is fine.
Mon 29/12/03 at 00:07
adrian wrote:
> My friend had a similar situation as they have
> everything from just one socket. He put a microfilter on the socket
> and then put another microfilter to connect the ADSL near the PC, so
> 2 microfilters on the same cable. The modem will NOT sync and
> therefore you will get NO connection. Its ok if you have them on
> different sockets but you can not have more than one microfilter on
> the same cable.
>
> The solution would be to get a phone socket in your room or to run
> the ADSL cable from your parents room. A ADSL cable is basically a
> phone cable(RJ11) so you might have a long cable around somewhere or
> you may have to go and get one.

OK, cheers Adrian. Do SR sell these RJ11 cables? Where could I get one from at a reasonable price?
I then connect this cable to my modem and run it all the way into my parents room and connect it to the microfilter on the main socket. Got it. Do I need a microfilter downstairs too, according to the guide and insatllation info I got it says all sockets need a microfilter on otherwise there will be some interference?...

Should be allright, just need a cable now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.