GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microfilter for Broadband help please... *ASAP*"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/12/03 at 21:34
I've recently ordered Broadband and will have my connection enabled on Monday. I ordered an external ADSL Modem/Router 4 Ethernet Port/USB with two microfilters.
My problem is the microfilters. I need one on every live phone connection in the house right? So one downstairs and one up stairs. The problem comes when the phone upstairs is located in my parents room and the PC that will be getting broadband is in my room. Currently there is an extension lead that runs into my room that has a phone and a 56K modem connected.
Would I need two microfilters? One in my parents room with the phone and extension connected and then one on the end of the extension (which is in my room) with a phone connected? That means I'll need one more microfilter (three in total incl. downstairs).
Im going to order an extra one if so. In the meantime I'll disconnect the phone in my parents room and just put the microfilter on the end of the extension lead (located in my room) with the phone connected, just to check whether the connection is working, would this work?

A lot of questions there I know!, but your help is greatly appreciated. Cheers guys.
Sat 03/01/04 at 22:25
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
slice wrote:
> hey drazen i got a problem could u help i got a bt yahoo broadband
> connection and a usb/adsl modem, i purchased a network adaptor for
> the playstation 2 but to run it i need to have a normal adsl modem is
> theere a router or something i could buy

Have you got a network card in your PC? If so buy a crossover cable(£5) and then set the ADSL connection to share the internet, and connect the crossover cable to the PS2 and the network card and thats it. You need to have the PC on at the same time as the PS2, but at least it saves you a good £50 or so on a router.
Sat 03/01/04 at 21:08
slice wrote:
> hey drazen i got a problem could u help i got a bt yahoo broadband
> connection and a usb/adsl modem, i purchased a network adaptor for
> the playstation 2 but to run it i need to have a normal adsl modem is
> theere a router or something i could buy

Heres the router that was supplied with my package from Freeola:

http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/ [SPACE] q_GG9852_adsl_combined_mode.html

Its a good modem/router, easy to set up and configure. A wireless one might be more useful if you cant handle all the wiring etc. Type router in the search box above and you'll see a few routers that maybe of use to you. Read some of the reviews to see what others think. Im sure someone else will post with a reply soon!

Good luck.
Sat 03/01/04 at 20:19
Regular
"Hot Gun On Ma Waist"
hey drazen i got a problem could u help i got a bt yahoo broadband connection and a usb/adsl modem, i purchased a network adaptor for the playstation 2 but to run it i need to have a normal adsl modem is theere a router or something i could buy
Sat 03/01/04 at 20:14
*oooh! super quick* :D
Sat 03/01/04 at 20:14
GWD wrote:
> All sorted!
> freeola emailed yesterday evening to confirm my line had 'now' been
> successfully enabled.

Me too!

> To configure the router you visit address 10.0.0.2 using your
> browser.
> Look at the adsl router setup docs on freeola for adding username and
> password.
>
> Router seems fine so far with a couple of PC's hanging off it...
>
> (Tip: Make sure ALL your phones are connected via a filter!)
>
> Good luck.

All working now, after a lot of fiddling with the router I decided to reset all the details and start from scratch using the freeola router guide. Everythings working great now. Cheers GWD for all your help, and the rest of you who posted suggestions, thanks.
Hope all goes well GWD, a good start!
Sat 03/01/04 at 17:26
Regular
All sorted!
freeola emailed yesterday evening to confirm my line had 'now' been successfully enabled. This afternoon! things started working.

To configure the router you visit address 10.0.0.2 using your browser.
Look at the adsl router setup docs on freeola for adding username and password.

Router seems fine so far with a couple of PC's hanging off it...

(Tip: Make sure ALL your phones are connected via a filter!)

Good luck.
Thu 01/01/04 at 17:54
GWD wrote:
> It seems Drazen and myself have both gone for the freeola broadband
> offering with their router. The router is an eTEC (epic router)
> PT-3812 using the Conexant chip set.

Yep we have...

> I am running Windows XP (and ME which will also share the router).
>
> A lot of confusion comes from the fact that the docs that freeola
> send with the kit are wrong. They have documented things on the basis
> that you are using an ADSL modem and not a router - hence the stuff
> on setting up a dial up connection. You also have to follow the
> online ADSL setup instructions regarding entering your SR account
> details into the routers configuration.

Exactly!...

I ain't done any of the router setup due to the fact that the line isn't connected and that Im rather confused with all the wrong stuff!
How did you setup the router GWD?
Thu 01/01/04 at 15:28
Regular
Thanks for that -the borg.
I also came across this link which seems to have become an unofficial forum for this sort of router: http://peteashton.com/001128.html

Just waiting for my line to be ready before I can connect.

If anyone out there is using freeola and their (pt3812) router feel free to post here. I did ask a few months ago if any readers of this freeola forum used freeola broadband - but I didn't get any useful responses then.
It doesn't look good if entanet support is required...
Thu 01/01/04 at 14:08
Regular
As long as the computers and router are on the same ip range (e.g.10.0.0.**) and the router is set up with the username and password then xp should just detect the internet connection (once activated) automatically through the network. There is no need to set up a dial-up connection at all - silly freeola!

If the dabs conexant router is a similar beast then try this guide http://www.cazart.plus.com/conexant/index.html it look fairly helpful.

If using Win 9x you will need to go to your network settings' properties, double click on TCP/IP and in gateway, enter the router's ip address as a new gateway.

the borg
Thu 01/01/04 at 12:27
Regular
theborg wrote:
> What is the make and model of the router/modem and what windows
> version? Without this information it is all just guesswork and
> conjecture.
>
> the borg

It seems Drazen and myself have both gone for the freeola broadband offering with their router. The router is an eTEC (epic router) PT-3812 using the Conexant chip set. A search on google shows there happens to be LOTS of unhappy owners...!

I am running Windows XP (and ME which will also share the router).

A lot of confusion comes from the fact that the docs that freeola send with the kit are wrong. They have documented things on the basis that you are using an ADSL modem and not a router - hence the stuff on setting up a dial up connection. You also have to follow the online ADSL setup instructions regarding entering your SR account details into the routers configuration.

Drazen and myself have been rather unlucky that our lines activation date of 29/12/03 fell when entanet (the broadband supplier) have shut down for Xmas and freeola can't contact them. I'm hoping that BT have done there bit and when entanet eventually turn up, they finish the job off.

freeola help desk can tell me that the ADSL line isn't fully enabled yet - hence my flashing wan light - and no connection.

Any useful comments appreciated...
Thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.