GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time Travel - Why We Can't Go Fowards"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/12/03 at 03:00
Regular
"Selected"
Ok, it's late at night and my computer seems to be crashing after every letter I type so bare with me on this. I'm going to explain why we can't travel into the future if time travel becomes a reality.

Firstly, you must understand that we exist in one timeline. What we're doing right now is the first of what we're doing that has ever been done. Ever. This explains why somebody hasn't come back through time and told us that we invent a time machine - we haven't done it yet! Since we're living at the very front of our timeline (we must be, somebody would have come back by now (either that or we don't invent a time machine in the future at all)) it means we can't go further foward because nothing has happened ahead of our time. If we could go foward, then destiny and fate would be proven to exist. If you go to 2020 and look yourself up, you'd be doing the same thing if you went back to your own year and waited the time difference (unless you interacted with your future self). As such, since we can't go fowards, fate and destiny don't exist.

The only way foward would be to appear in an alternate universe which has a timeline ahead of ours, but then you wouldn't time travel into your future but an alternate version of your future which, technically, is completely different to the one you exist in.

As such, when/if we invent a time machine, we can go back but not foward.

Lécture Êt Fin.
Tue 30/12/03 at 13:20
Regular
"Selected"
*makes mental note about going back in time to stop self from posting this*
Tue 30/12/03 at 12:00
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Well it does kind of because by their perspective they've casued the apocalypse and we are just yet to encounter it. By their perspective though it's done. They've gone back in time, slipped up and screwed us all. HURRAH! Anyway I don't know or care I don't haev a degree in astrophysics ro whatever concerns time travel. I'm just spraffing.
Tue 30/12/03 at 01:53
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Yes, but that has nothing to do with my statement.
Tue 30/12/03 at 01:51
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Or have they! If someone went back in time to the year 2004 then this January the 1st coming could be our apocolypse in their past.
Tue 30/12/03 at 01:23
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
We will never invent a time machine, because if we did, someone, at some point in history, would go into the past and let slip. And they haven't.
Tue 30/12/03 at 01:08
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
mikelar wrote:
> Firstly, you must understand that we exist in one timeline. What
> we're doing right now is the first of what we're doing that has ever
> been done. Ever.

Prove it. For all you know this could have all been done a million times before! Even if time travel isn't real we could be experiencing some other kind of time distortion like a repeating time loop in which we relive a certain time period again and again each day completely forgetting what we've done as it hasn't happened yet...but it has happened as we are repeating it...if you get my drift.

> This explains why somebody hasn't come back through
> time and told us that we invent a time machine - we haven't done it
> yet! Since we're living at the very front of our timeline (we must
> be, somebody would have come back by now (either that or we don't
> invent a time machine in the future at all))

But if they came back in time they could alter the time line in ways that could destroy the future in which they exist. No one wants to do that so even if we had time travel they would use it unless they knew that it wouldn't effect the time line and they could actually get away with it.

> it means we can't go
> further foward because nothing has happened ahead of our time. If we
> could go foward, then destiny and fate would be proven to exist. If
> you go to 2020 and look yourself up, you'd be doing the same thing if
> you went back to your own year and waited the time difference (unless
> you interacted with your future self). As such, since we can't go
> fowards, fate and destiny don't exist.

But if our destinys could be seen visualy then destiny would no longer exist as we would be given a choice to betray that possible future.

> The only way foward would be to appear in an alternate universe which
> has a timeline ahead of ours, but then you wouldn't time travel into
> your future but an alternate version of your future which,
> technically, is completely different to the one you exist in.

We could go into the future though if we found a way to suspend ourselves in a state in which time passs around us but we don't age. However this would be a one way trip unless we could figure out how to go back in time which you say is possible anyway.

> As such, when/if we invent a time machine, we can go back but not
> foward.

BRAVO! *claps*
Tue 30/12/03 at 00:50
Regular
"thursdayton!"
cookie monster wrote:
> There was a program about time travel on a few weeks ago, quite
> interesting in a brain boggling kind of way.

Saw that.. some egghead saying it was scientifically possible to travel forward in relative time, you just needed a machine half the mass of the galaxy to do it.
Sun 28/12/03 at 23:47
Regular
The idea of travelling forward and meeting a future you makes no logical sense - there is no future you, only the you that skipped forward in time. As you made the jump forward in time, you ceased to exist in all time following that, up to the point where you skipped TO. To anyone aware of the experiment, you would simply disappear, then reappear at the chosen time in the future.

This is illustrated on Back to the Future - when the radio controlled delorean first jumps forward in time, flames appear, the car disappears, then reappears at the destination time (2 minutes later or whatever). The car ceases to exist between those two times.

Yet in the second film, this is completely contradicted. Marty travels forward in time where there is a future version of himself. How can this be? As has already been established in the first film, anything/one travelling forward, ceases to exist between the time of leaving and arriving. So there would NOT be two versions of the same person.

These two ideas completely contradict each other. I realise this is just a mid 80s sci fi adventure film, but they are valid arguements for a subject we know nothing about. Travelling back in time is another subject entirely, and far more complicated if you ask me.

We always assume that if we were able to travel back in time, that we could change what was there, but to consider that idea, you have to also believe in the idea of parallel universes, infinite possibilities and other such brain bending stuff. *scratches head*
Sun 28/12/03 at 21:15
Regular
"None Stored"
You said we cannot go forward since we are at the head of the timeline, and because no one has come back yet. Surley that would mean that we cant go back either, because the you in a previous time would have realised the same thing?
Sun 28/12/03 at 20:10
Regular
If I stand with my arms out like a helecoptor and spin anticlock wise really really fast I can go back in time.

True story.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.