GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time Travel - Why We Can't Go Fowards"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/12/03 at 03:00
Regular
"Selected"
Ok, it's late at night and my computer seems to be crashing after every letter I type so bare with me on this. I'm going to explain why we can't travel into the future if time travel becomes a reality.

Firstly, you must understand that we exist in one timeline. What we're doing right now is the first of what we're doing that has ever been done. Ever. This explains why somebody hasn't come back through time and told us that we invent a time machine - we haven't done it yet! Since we're living at the very front of our timeline (we must be, somebody would have come back by now (either that or we don't invent a time machine in the future at all)) it means we can't go further foward because nothing has happened ahead of our time. If we could go foward, then destiny and fate would be proven to exist. If you go to 2020 and look yourself up, you'd be doing the same thing if you went back to your own year and waited the time difference (unless you interacted with your future self). As such, since we can't go fowards, fate and destiny don't exist.

The only way foward would be to appear in an alternate universe which has a timeline ahead of ours, but then you wouldn't time travel into your future but an alternate version of your future which, technically, is completely different to the one you exist in.

As such, when/if we invent a time machine, we can go back but not foward.

Lécture Êt Fin.
Wed 31/12/03 at 03:48
Regular
You're all assuming that should we be able to go back in time, that we could interact with it. As the whole idea is theoretical, is it not just as possible that should we travel back in time, that we could NOT interact with it in any way, that we are 'out of phase' with this previous reality. Viewing it would be like watching a video or DVD - you can watch it all happen, but can in no way interact.

To extend this theory - maybe reports of ghosts and UFOs (which I am highly skeptical about) are in fact future humans who have travelled back in time, but cannot communicate as they are out of phase.
Wed 31/12/03 at 00:01
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
mikelar wrote:
> This explains why somebody hasn't come back through
> time and told us that we invent a time machine - we haven't done it
> yet!

What if we have built one in 2020, and they come back to 2004 from 2030?
We'd have built it already, but in 2020, surely?
Tue 30/12/03 at 22:13
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> There's something else that's interesting.
> How do you know we won't live to be like 150 or something. Because
> you won't until we (that is, this generation) actually get there, or
> the slightly older.
> Should be fun.

I guess because medical science isn't yet advanced enough to help our bodies cope that long as we get older, and because our diet is on average less healthy than preious generations, and our environment is generally poorer too.
Tue 30/12/03 at 21:56
Regular
"That's right!"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> How do you know we won't live to be like 150 or something.

-------

Because the nuclear wars won't let us. We'll be dust.
Tue 30/12/03 at 21:51
"period drama"
There's something else that's interesting.
How do you know we won't live to be like 150 or something. Because you won't until we (that is, this generation) actually get there, or the slightly older.
Should be fun.
Tue 30/12/03 at 20:39
Regular
we are all able to look back in time anyway.

just go into your back garden and look up, you are viewing light from stars, that light may have taken 10,000 years or much longer, so in effect you are seeing back in time. However, even if you could travel at the speed of light towards that star, you would still only arrive when the light had been emitted. to get there before it was emitted, you would have to fly faster than the speed of light, which is theoretically impossible, as it would require almost infinite power to reach that velocity.

I suppose worm holes are the way round this problem, but they only exist in theory aswell, and the chances of us seeing anything like that in our lifetime is virtually nil - we barely have enough technology to (attempt to) land on mars.
Tue 30/12/03 at 19:36
Regular
"That's right!"
I could go into some sort of stasis field that would make me disappear. The rest of the universe would tick by, until, sometime later, I would reappear, and to me, it'd be instantaneous. Everyone else would have aged however many years I stayed in the thingy for.

If time travel ever WAS cracked, I can assure you it would be to go forward, and there would be NO going back. It wouldn't be time travel in the sense of the word we use today, but a person could "travel through time" over great distances.
Tue 30/12/03 at 18:53
"period drama"
This is so incredibly weird.
Too weird.
I was going to do a topic on the exact same thing.
Spooky.

But now I've nothing to write except agree.
You never know what's going to happen, so going forward in time would mean our lives are fated - every tiny detail is concrete from the start.
The same backs up that thing about going backwards when you can't change anything. Because it would change the future and, to use your words, we'd have slipped into another time-line.
Tue 30/12/03 at 18:14
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Geffdof wrote:
> Theoretically if you trsvel at the speed of light you wont age and can
> go to the future. Kind of like Flight of the Navigator.
>
> Also if you travel faster than the speed of light you can
> "view" the past because you will be ahead of the old light
> (and we see using light btw), but you would need a pretty long road
> and a fairly fast car to get to that sort of speed.

It is scientifically impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, the higest speed that can be reached is 99% of the speed of light.
Tue 30/12/03 at 15:26
Regular
"lets go back"
Theoretically if you trsvel at the speed of light you wont age and can go to the future. Kind of like Flight of the Navigator.

Also if you travel faster than the speed of light you can "view" the past because you will be ahead of the old light (and we see using light btw), but you would need a pretty long road and a fairly fast car to get to that sort of speed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.