GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time Travel - Why We Can't Go Fowards"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/12/03 at 03:00
Regular
"Selected"
Ok, it's late at night and my computer seems to be crashing after every letter I type so bare with me on this. I'm going to explain why we can't travel into the future if time travel becomes a reality.

Firstly, you must understand that we exist in one timeline. What we're doing right now is the first of what we're doing that has ever been done. Ever. This explains why somebody hasn't come back through time and told us that we invent a time machine - we haven't done it yet! Since we're living at the very front of our timeline (we must be, somebody would have come back by now (either that or we don't invent a time machine in the future at all)) it means we can't go further foward because nothing has happened ahead of our time. If we could go foward, then destiny and fate would be proven to exist. If you go to 2020 and look yourself up, you'd be doing the same thing if you went back to your own year and waited the time difference (unless you interacted with your future self). As such, since we can't go fowards, fate and destiny don't exist.

The only way foward would be to appear in an alternate universe which has a timeline ahead of ours, but then you wouldn't time travel into your future but an alternate version of your future which, technically, is completely different to the one you exist in.

As such, when/if we invent a time machine, we can go back but not foward.

Lécture Êt Fin.
Sun 28/12/03 at 03:00
Regular
"Selected"
Ok, it's late at night and my computer seems to be crashing after every letter I type so bare with me on this. I'm going to explain why we can't travel into the future if time travel becomes a reality.

Firstly, you must understand that we exist in one timeline. What we're doing right now is the first of what we're doing that has ever been done. Ever. This explains why somebody hasn't come back through time and told us that we invent a time machine - we haven't done it yet! Since we're living at the very front of our timeline (we must be, somebody would have come back by now (either that or we don't invent a time machine in the future at all)) it means we can't go further foward because nothing has happened ahead of our time. If we could go foward, then destiny and fate would be proven to exist. If you go to 2020 and look yourself up, you'd be doing the same thing if you went back to your own year and waited the time difference (unless you interacted with your future self). As such, since we can't go fowards, fate and destiny don't exist.

The only way foward would be to appear in an alternate universe which has a timeline ahead of ours, but then you wouldn't time travel into your future but an alternate version of your future which, technically, is completely different to the one you exist in.

As such, when/if we invent a time machine, we can go back but not foward.

Lécture Êt Fin.
Sun 28/12/03 at 10:28
"Darkness, always"
wrong wrong wrong.

It's theoretically possible to travel forwards in time using an orbital shuttle travelling close to te speed of light and a pair of enormous magnets.

Travel backwards is impossible, and not a good idea anyway, due to the high likelihood of creating a paradox simply by appearing in the past where previously you were not.
Sun 28/12/03 at 10:46
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I just invented a time machine:

1 2 3 4 5

Look, now you're 5 seconds forwards in time and it only took 5 seconds to get there! So time travel forwards is possible, but also a massive waste of time.

Here are some other time machines I invented:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
(for this one I reccommend wearing some sort of futuristic all-in-one silver body suit, just in case you end up so far in the future that you get stuck there)
Sun 28/12/03 at 10:58
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Although that wasnt maybe the best of posts by monkey_man he had a good point, 'time travel is a waste of time'. Is it? Why do we need to travel in time, everything happened for a reason so leave it alone. You may think that its a good idea to go back in time to kill Hitler or some one else like him. But this had to happen and it has happened so dont change it, leave it. If we killed every bad person like Hitler in the world it would just cause more problems.
Sun 28/12/03 at 10:59
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Final message:

It happened, leave it alone.
Sun 28/12/03 at 11:10
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
What I think ST means here is "cause and effect".
Sun 28/12/03 at 11:11
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
monkey_man wrote:
> What I think ST means here is "cause and effect".

Yeah, like that Saint once said "The Chain of effects and actions" or something like that.
Sun 28/12/03 at 13:53
Regular
"That's right!"
Travelling forwards is possible - freeze yourself. Worked in that film, that old one. You know the one I mean.
Sun 28/12/03 at 13:57
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Silën† Thundêr ™ wrote:
> Yeah, like that Saint once said "The Chain of effects and
> actions" or something like that.

The patron Saint of Time Travel? Are you sure?
Sun 28/12/03 at 14:23
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Travel backwards is impossible, and not a good idea anyway, due to
> the high likelihood of creating a paradox simply by appearing in the
> past where previously you were not.

It is also impossible to travel to a time BEFORE you built your time machine.

There was a program about time travel on a few weeks ago, quite interesting in a brain boggling kind of way.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.