GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Breaking and Entering?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/12/03 at 23:51
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Basically what started my thoughts on this was what happened early this morning.
Some mong attempted to break into my house at about 5am, lucky enough I wasn't sleeping to great at the time and heard a noise from outside then spotted the torch light from my bed through the blind and decided to have a look, few seconds later I heard a smash.

Ran downstairs quickly and found the back door window smashed but nobody to be seen. Police were called etc.

But after some much needed sleep this afternoon I had more thoughts on it all, annoys me to think that there are people out there who would break in to steal from folk especially so near to christmas. But thats life these days I guess.

But the real issue is what if they had got in. Remember the farmer guy Tony Martin or something along those lines. The guy who shot and killed the intruder and injured another. I had always thought that what he did was right but he went too far by shooting them.

If someone came into my house then I would guess they are there to steal or to do some other criminal activity (God they could kill you in your sleep, rape your sister etc etc)
I would do all I could to prevent them from doing anything. I'm sure by law you are allowed to use a certain amount of force and also to act in self defence. But what I can't grasp is how when someone breaks into your home and you use force to catch them or get them out then in courts you seem to become the guilty party. It just baffles me that they have gone out of there way, fully knowing what they are doing, to break into your house and then to take part in some crime and the owner (most likely acting on adrenaline, fear, anger) would then do what first comes to their head to protect their family.

Well I guess we were lucky in that they didn't come in and nothing really serious happened.

Just wondered what other peoples views on it where, what would you do if you heard someone entering your house at night?
Just how much force can you get away with?
Wed 24/12/03 at 14:28
Regular
"That's right!"
If they have a bat, you can use a bat.
If they have a knife, you can use a knife.
If they have a gun, you can use a gun.

However, you can't use a knife if they have a bat or a gun if they have a knife, you have to be on the same level as them. Of course, if *I* kept a gun in the house, I wouldn't wait for them to throw down their bat and get a gun themselves, I'd be sticking it in their face quicker than you can say "Oops, it went off in my hands."

And you can beat them up, but only if it's a continuing fight. ie, you can't knock them to the ground then continue to beat them with the frying pan.
Wed 24/12/03 at 14:56
Regular
"Laughingstock"
A burgular deserves all he gets, but by the same token, a houseowner who lies in wait with a weapon or uses excessive force to stop an intruder also deserves all he gets.

Unless your life is threatened, the best thing to do is phone the police and get house insurance.

Surely no one in the right mind wants to injure or kill someone (or be injured or killed themselves) over a few material items?
Wed 24/12/03 at 15:01
Regular
Black Glove wrote:

> Surely no one in the right mind wants to injure or kill someone (or
> be injured or killed themselves) over a few material items?

it's easy to say that, but what if the person in your house has more evil intent? what if you have young children in the house? I think if I had kids in the house and I found somebody skulking around, I wouldn't be waiting to find out if he merely wanted my VCR. He'd be getting the heaviest instrument I could find in the legs, and while he is writhing in agony, I would call the police.
Wed 24/12/03 at 15:22
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I can understand the instinct to protect a young family, but I still don't think I would instigate an attack on an intruder.
I suspect 99.9% of burgulars would flee if they knew the houseowner was awake - the sneaky snides that they are.

But in truth I don't know how I'd react. I've never been put in that position. Maybe I'd grab a 4-iron and creep around like a madman. I dunno.
I'm just not sure it's a good idea to pre-plan a "hit first, ask questions after" approach.
Wed 24/12/03 at 15:48
Regular
"That's right!"
Personally, when I'm living out of this house, I'll be getting a baseball bat for protection.

Sure, you can claim on the insurance, but that's like letting the little scumbag win. They've taken your hard earned items and sold them for a tenner down their grotty little pub. And they'll do it again. And again.

I still wish I could've caught the little piece of uneducated filth who broke into our car and took the MP3 player. I bet they didn't even know what they had, and sold something worth a few hundred quid for a fiver. Scum.
Wed 24/12/03 at 15:50
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
The other night I was ready to hurt someone, even wanted to go out looking for them cause I knew the obvious places near by that would be ideal to hideout for a while.

But I didn't.
I don't plan anything, if they come back then they come back. Hopefully I will awake and catch them in the act but I don't want to cause them serious injury or none of that, I just want them to get what they deserve.
Wed 24/12/03 at 15:50
Regular
"That's right!"
AliBoy wrote:
I just want them to get what they deserve.

--------

Which is serious injury.
Wed 24/12/03 at 16:50
Regular
"SOUP!"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> If they have a bat, you can use a bat.
> If they have a knife, you can use a knife.
> If they have a gun, you can use a gun.

Surely a bat is more powerful than a knife... I mean, it takes a deep stab to really get someone *bad* with a knife, but one swing at the head with a bat will knock them down. There is a longer range on a bat too.
Wed 24/12/03 at 16:50
Regular
"SOUP!"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> AliBoy wrote:
> I just want them to get what they deserve.
>
> --------
>
> Which is serious injury.

And herpes.
Wed 24/12/03 at 16:52
Regular
is it legal to pull their hearts out and show it to them before they die, or is that overstepping the leniency given for self defence situations?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.