GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Breaking and Entering?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/12/03 at 23:51
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Basically what started my thoughts on this was what happened early this morning.
Some mong attempted to break into my house at about 5am, lucky enough I wasn't sleeping to great at the time and heard a noise from outside then spotted the torch light from my bed through the blind and decided to have a look, few seconds later I heard a smash.

Ran downstairs quickly and found the back door window smashed but nobody to be seen. Police were called etc.

But after some much needed sleep this afternoon I had more thoughts on it all, annoys me to think that there are people out there who would break in to steal from folk especially so near to christmas. But thats life these days I guess.

But the real issue is what if they had got in. Remember the farmer guy Tony Martin or something along those lines. The guy who shot and killed the intruder and injured another. I had always thought that what he did was right but he went too far by shooting them.

If someone came into my house then I would guess they are there to steal or to do some other criminal activity (God they could kill you in your sleep, rape your sister etc etc)
I would do all I could to prevent them from doing anything. I'm sure by law you are allowed to use a certain amount of force and also to act in self defence. But what I can't grasp is how when someone breaks into your home and you use force to catch them or get them out then in courts you seem to become the guilty party. It just baffles me that they have gone out of there way, fully knowing what they are doing, to break into your house and then to take part in some crime and the owner (most likely acting on adrenaline, fear, anger) would then do what first comes to their head to protect their family.

Well I guess we were lucky in that they didn't come in and nothing really serious happened.

Just wondered what other peoples views on it where, what would you do if you heard someone entering your house at night?
Just how much force can you get away with?
Sun 04/01/04 at 03:30
Regular
"Monochromatic"
my house my rules.if you break into my house ill deal with you how i see fit.if i feel threatened god help you.
Sat 27/12/03 at 22:40
Regular
"That's right!"
"personally i feel if someone is in your home illegally then they forfeit all rights."

That's a good point. If they're in your house it's because they're a scumbag, and they deserve a hiding. Of course, I'm too much of a coward to dish it out, but maybe I could hit them from behind or something as they ran off clutching my widescreen TV...

The system failed them? They failed themselves.
Fri 26/12/03 at 21:59
Regular
Someone broke into my flat when I was like 14, my Mum was out and so was my Sister so I was alone.

I ended up drawing a kitchen knife onto the man which scared him off, as well as the fact he was a little shorter than him and I shaved late so I looked older than I was, but that stuff still shakes you up so much.
Wed 24/12/03 at 21:00
Regular
"cachoo"
I'm glad that Tony Martin shot that boy. As cold, harsh and insensitive that may seem I don't care.

Not sure what time of year it happened to them, but imagine that though. Someone breaking in on Christmas Eve, taking all the presents etc and getting away with it. You would be SO angry. So angry that the words "I will find him and kill him" will at one point come out of your mouth.. maybe! I'm fully backing Tony Martin up, no matter if he killed some boy. Some lad who was probably a worthless, drug-taking, stealing b*stard who didn't give a crap about peoples' feelings.

It's like you don't care about the people who do that anymore. They don't deserve anything for recking peoples' Christmas. Bumholes.

Now.. if I heard someone in my house at night, it would take me a long, long time to pluck up the courage to actually go see what was happening. So I would make sure I thought of bad things, made myself angry, grab the baseball bat behind my bed especially for burglers and try and hit them. I wouldn't talk, they could have a weapon or anything or have something else on their minds; like rape. I wouldn't take ANY chances. Straight away with the bat. If I killed them.. I'd be thankful my families Christmas wasn't ruined.

Anyhoo. You're lucky Aliboy!

*touch wood*
Wed 24/12/03 at 19:04
Regular
you could say that while they were skulking around in the dark, that they tripped over some bunched up carpet and bashed their heads on a poker next to the fireplace - repeatedly.
Wed 24/12/03 at 18:26
Regular
"you've got a beard"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> Hit him with the sledge hammer, then rub the handle on his hands, and
> say he came in with it and tried to hurt you, so you took it off him
> and made him bleed. The finger prints will back you up.

possibly a tad excessive, but i see your point. however, that constitutes "falsifying evidence" and they the victim does indeed become the guilty party.

the trouble with these cases is that you never know what the other guy was intending to do. if it were proven that the robbers in the Tony Martin case were planning to kill him then perhaps his shooting would've taken a different light.
personally i feel if someone is in your home illegally then they forfeit all rights. but i DO see the problems with my own way of thinking there, for example if this person were not of sound mind then they may not have been 100% sure what they were doing.

it's certainly a tough question....
Wed 24/12/03 at 18:11
Regular
"That's right!"
Hit him with the sledge hammer, then rub the handle on his hands, and say he came in with it and tried to hurt you, so you took it off him and made him bleed. The finger prints will back you up.
Wed 24/12/03 at 17:18
Regular
MoJoJoJo wrote:

> My point IS you can't go overboard. You can only use force deemed
> necessary. So pulling out your dad's bren gun and pasting the guy to
> the wall when he's unarmed is out the window.

man that'd be great. what about some sort of mace, sword or battle axe though, surely there'd be a consensus that he had it coming?
Wed 24/12/03 at 17:18
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Stupid "reasonable" force crap!
Wed 24/12/03 at 17:16
Regular
"That's right!"
Paradox wrote:
> Surely a bat is more powerful than a knife... I mean, it takes a deep
> stab to really get someone *bad* with a knife, but one swing at the
> head with a bat will knock them down. There is a longer range on a
> bat too.

--------

My point IS you can't go overboard. You can only use force deemed necessary. So pulling out your dad's bren gun and pasting the guy to the wall when he's unarmed is out the window.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.