GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Execute him!""

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/12/03 at 16:23
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
"What are we executing him for again?"
"He executed thousands of others."
"Ah."

It would be utterly ridiculous to execute Saddam. On a very basic level, we would be executing him for executing others. Which is, at the very least, hypocritical. How we could justify that is beyond me. Sure, you may believe in "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth," but how then are you better than the person you're punishing?

On another level, we would be executing him for executing others who don't agree with his political ideology. And we don't believe in executing people who don't agree with our political ideology. So because of this, we're going to execute someone who doesn't agree with our political ideology. Way to go, assholes.

If Saddam is executed, I really will laugh hard. While I'm watching the event on rotten.com, of course.
Tue 16/12/03 at 00:33
Regular
"relocated"
I just saw the start of Newsnight and they showed a few seconds of footage of Saddam's 'medical exam': some bloke sticking something into his mouth and forcing it around a bit. It made me feel a bit queasy, to be honest, to see a man - whatever crimes he might have committed - being pushed around and filmed by the government for no other reason than to show that we CAN push him around. I thought it was totally unnecessary and counter-productive. Perhaps this sort of stuff impresses shotgun-waving rednecks. All it reminded me of was those people who hang around outside courts to throw rocks at the police vans taking suspected child killers to and from prison: people with no personal connection to a tragedy making themselves feel good because all of a sudden they are more powerful than some media-created bogeyman.

And how is that sort of thing going to play in the Arab world, where we are supposed to be stopping terrorism? They had an interesting bit on the channel 4 news tonight about how Saddam's capture had gone down in the Middle East: some were glad, others resentful, others said that the fact that it was AMERICANS who had done the capturing was an insult to Arabs everywhere. I don't have any sympathy with Saddam but it's easy to see how it could be created and Saddam turned from dictator to martyr, providing more recruits for Al Quaeda, unless his treatment and trial is treated very carefully. It's too easy, I think, for Bush to use this a bit of re-election triumphalism without thinking about the wider consequences.
Mon 15/12/03 at 22:00
Regular
Solitary Confinement, Till death.

Worst possible punishment possible.
Mon 15/12/03 at 18:09
Regular
"Beaten with sticks"
Good point I must admit...*ponders*
Mon 15/12/03 at 17:21
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
With his head down that hole, I bet he felt a bit ostricised.
Mon 15/12/03 at 17:01
Regular
"relocated"
Allow me to put it back in again:

When does Saddam have his dinner?
When Tariq 'as 'is.

I think there will be rich comic material in finding Saddam down a hole: this thread is surely the place to test drive new jokes and revive old ones?
Mon 15/12/03 at 16:51
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Thanks for pulling this topic back out of the toilet.
Mon 15/12/03 at 16:50
Regular
"Laughingstock"
unknown kernel wrote:
> In any case, is killing someone - however evil - really a sensible
> way to start the life of a newly free nation?

Well I'm against the death-penalty even for genoicidal tyrants... but that's easy to say from where I'm standing.
Mon 15/12/03 at 16:45
Regular
"relocated"
Black Glove wrote:
> The only people who will be executing him is the Iraqi people via an
> Iraqi court trial.

But right now I'm not sure that there is an 'Iraqi court trial' to be had. Presumably the old justice system was riddled with Saddam's cronies, and any new system won't have a democratic basis until Iraq is being run by an elected rather than an appointed council.

In any case, is killing someone - however evil - really a sensible way to start the life of a newly free nation?
Mon 15/12/03 at 16:38
Regular
"relocated"
No, but only because back then Furbys weren't around to legislate against.
Mon 15/12/03 at 16:38
Black Glove wrote:

> Personally, I'd like to see him on Parkinson: well-groomed in a smart
> suit, smoking a cigar and chatting about his life and loves... I bet
> he's hilarious.

No, that will be reserved for the former Iraqi Information Minister.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.