GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The simple"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/05/05 at 11:39
Regular
If you had to pick a single Nintendo gaming moment what would it be?

The moment you first turned on Mario 64?
Riding Yoshi in Super Mario World?
Capturing your first Pokemon in Pokemon Blue?
Breaking into Hyrule Castle in Ocarina of Time?
Managing to nip past all 3 competitors at the final bit in Mario Kart?

Fantastic moments I'm sure you'll agree. But are Nintendo proposing to get rid of them? Lower production values, simpler games, quicker releases. Fresh, innovative, clever yes, these are the types of game Nintendo are proposing. Think Wario Ware, think Four Swords... think Jungle Beat.

There's no denying that all 3 of those games are superb. Fantastic, enjoyable and of course they have the added "pick up and play" factor.

But as great as they are, they don't quite create the powerful memories of the real legendary Nintendo games.

Are Nintendo proposing to get rid of them? This simple new game style to see to the mass market. To be honest I'd rather Nintendo stuck with their niche following.

Some people may argue that the Gamecube lacks the power of previous Nintendo systems. But I flatly disagree. Floating around the Deku tree in Wind Waker, racing around on a Blooper in Mario Sunshine, getting all the treasure in Pikmin 2, fighting in Glitzville in Paper Mario and those meaty gun fights in Metroid Prime. All of these are fantastic Nintendo related memories. And I'm expecting a load more where they came from with the new Zelda and Pokemon XD titles.

I guess all I can base my assumptions on is the new Nintendo DS and I am not overly optimistic. The Nintendo DS' wonder titles include PacPix, Yoshi's Touch and Go, Touch! Kirby and Wario Ware. Games that displays the future of Nintendo. Super Mario 64: DS will be one of a series of games that buck the trend, but does it live up to its predecessor? Does Nintendo's new "control method" damage the oppertunity for the "Nintendo epic".

Admit it, that's why we stick with Nintendo. We can live with the barren spells, the poor third party support and the lack of online support. As long as we get our Mario, Pokemon, Metroid or Zelda then we'll be fine.

My faith in Nintendo, as Die Hard as I am, began to waver slightly this time last year. Harvest Moon was the only real game to shout about from the first 6 months. But when October arrived that all changed. Pikmin 2, Paper Mario 2 and Metroid Prime 2. I have yet to play the latter as much as I'd like but I have finished the other 2. And they were fantastic, epic, enjoyable, amusing, sad but most of all... fantastic.

Faith restored.

Come the first 6 months of this year and, Resident Evil aside (not a Nintendo game anyway) and I feel I've been slapped in the face. There was no denying the fun involved in Four Swords and Jungle Beat but come on! Mario Power Tennis has no depth whatsoever and Starfox Assault is just a let down. Mario Tennis and Golf this year was clearly evident of lazy developing, nothing new, nothing fresh and where was the depth? No wonder Mario Kart and Smash Brothers repeatidly outshine them both in sales and playability. Nintendo and Hal can make a good Mario spin off. Camelot are becoming increasingly shallow. Stick to Golden Sun.

Nintendo never used to make these shallow games. Under genius and scary head Hiroshi Yamauchi all Nintendo games took ages to make. He was the reason there were tonnes of delays, he is the reason Nintendo games were released so slowly. But he was also the reason that the NES, SNES and N64 recieved so many classics. He is the reason we love Nintendo.

Are Nintendo now threatening to go the other way? I can deal with short/sweet games, some can be incredibly fun (as mentioned, Jungle Beat, Four Swords and Wario Ware) but I cannot agree with removing my Zelda's and my Mario's. Imagine a day when Pokemon was just a simple RPG scraper, or the main Zelda series is Four Swords or that Mario was forever proping up ever other franchise under the sun.

I'm not talking about deserting the company I love. I'm just worried that the "Nintendo Epic" is becoming extinct. They certainly don't fit in with Nintendo's new Philosophy.

Then again are Nintendo really ready to ruin their fanbase? The upcoming Zelda epic proves that maybe Nintendo are not willing to destroy their fanbase. I mean it is slightly hypocritical that Nintendo are talking about simple games whilst harping on about their new epic Zelda title. Are these games for the hardcore? And if so will they continue to come?

It would be nice, if once in a while, whilst harping on about the "simple" games that will appeal to the mass market... that Nintendo should tell their fans that "don't worry, you'll still get the games you love as well".

I know it'd make me feel better.

Dringo.
Sun 15/05/05 at 23:02
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Herr Dark Wolf wrote:
> Link's Awakening is amazing. It's the first Zelda game I played, and
> it's still my favourite. The end Boss is utter class.

Yay for a fellow Link's Awakening fan :) Sounds weird but it's probably my favourite of the series so far too just because I know it so well and have such great memories going through it with my best mate at the time.
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:48
Regular
"8==="
I played it a fair bit, but then again we had 4 players and all were reasonably skilled so we had close matches.
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:42
Regular
"0228"
The level design in South park was awful. The only good thing about that game was the gun that made people dance. How I laughed (for the first couple of times before I got bored).
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:40
Regular
"8==="
Nope.

They were simple and larger but suited the weapon sets.
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:35
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Not from what I remember. In fact I remember the levels in South Park multiplayer being attrocious.
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:32
Regular
"8==="
gerrid wrote:
> It was just Turok 2 multiplayer without dinosaurs.

Much bigger levels.
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:25
Regular
Tphi wrote:
> First walking along the first level on Super Mario Land, Christmas Day
> 1996, after waking at half four in the morning to see my Gameboy had
> come.
> Completing Link's Awakening.

Link's Awakening is amazing. It's the first Zelda game I played, and it's still my favourite. The end Boss is utter class.
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:23
Regular
"bit of a brain"
It was just Turok 2 multiplayer without dinosaurs.
Sun 15/05/05 at 19:20
Regular
"8==="
South Park was good if you had friends.
Sun 15/05/05 at 18:27
Regular
"thursdayton!"
First walking along the first level on Super Mario Land, Christmas Day 1996, after waking at half four in the morning to see my Gameboy had come.
Completing Link's Awakening.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.