GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Questions for Tony"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/03/01 at 22:21
Regular
Hey there, Big Tone...

Two questions, if you have the time...

1. Do you have any means of telling exactly when someone actually joined SR, maybe using the membership number?

2. Special Reserve used to be just one part of the club - there was another section, under another name, which I think was more aimed at adventure gamers. I've been racking my brains and I can't remember what it was called - can you enlighten me?
Tue 13/03/01 at 22:21
"High polygon count"
Hey there, Big Tone...

Two questions, if you have the time...

1. Do you have any means of telling exactly when someone actually joined SR, maybe using the membership number?

2. Special Reserve used to be just one part of the club - there was another section, under another name, which I think was more aimed at adventure gamers. I've been racking my brains and I can't remember what it was called - can you enlighten me?
Tue 13/03/01 at 22:26
Regular
I am intrigued at the second question...

3) Whatever happened to the Special Reserve web cam?

Duckcam, was it?
Tue 13/03/01 at 22:31
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Does anyone remeber when gameing mages had Adventure specific help sections?

Where you'd get clues to adventure game problems...

New Quill based adventures...

and getting out of the Goblins cave in the Hobbit?
Tue 13/03/01 at 22:37
"High polygon count"
> I am intrigued at the second question...

Showing my age now. :-)

The reason I asked about the joining date is because I just had the scary thought that I've been a member of SR since before some of you were born!

Aaaaaarrrggghh! :-(
Tue 13/03/01 at 23:26
Regular
You're not THAT old are you wookie!?!?!?!?

:-)
Tue 13/03/01 at 23:26
Regular
Sorry about spelling your name wrong mate, its been a looooonnnnggggggg day!
Wed 14/03/01 at 00:26
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Whatever happened to the Special Reserve web cam?

> Duckcam, was it?

It was PATHETIC, not even worthy of the name Duckcam.
Wed 14/03/01 at 00:34
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Ah Wookiee - you must remember "The Pawn"

"Official Secrets" was launched before Special Reserve and its magazine was called "Confidential". It was indeed an adventure club.

The cover of Confidential was printed for 10 issues at once. It looked like a manilla file with a Post-it note stuck on the back and a tea stain on the front. Each issue we over-printed different wording on the Post-it note.

The club was almost called "What Burglar", after the booklet in "The Guild of Thieves".

OS was launched at a small computer show and took 104 members at the show. Anybody with a two-digit membership number joined there.

It was quickly evident that something more cut-price was needed so Special Reserve was created for a more commercial approach.

The two clubs ran side by side for several years.
Wed 14/03/01 at 00:37
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Very early members were recorded on a PC - blah!

But quite early on we changed to Macintosh and I still have a computer on my desk which runs the original program from 1989. And I still use it to create stats.

So, yes we may be able to track the date of joining.
Wed 14/03/01 at 01:25
"High polygon count"
> Ah Wookiee - you must remember "The
> Pawn"

Vaguely!

> "Official Secrets" was launched before
> Special Reserve and its magazine was called
> "Confidential". It was indeed an adventure club.

That's the one! I wanted to join that one, but I seem to recall it cost more than the "Special Reserve" - and I couldn't get enough money together!

> OS was launched at a small computer show and took
> 104 members at the show. Anybody with a two-digit membership number
> joined there.

I signed up at one of the World of Commodore shows (Novotel in Hammersmith I think it was) - I'm was sure it was earlier than the 1989 you mention though - 83-84 I thought? The reason I say this is because I lived in London at the time, and we moved to Northampton in 1986.

Anyway, my membership number... you think it would be wise to post it here for you to check (if you wouldn't mind)?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.