GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Going to disassemble my PS3"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/07/09 at 14:43
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Some of you may have read my Sacred 2 guide and will understand why my PS3 is now acting like Iggy Pop on the insurance ads.

Due to this I am going to attempt to disassemble it to clean and dust it, and check the cooling system. It is my hope that this is the cause of it sounding louder than Paris Hilton on a night out, and be easy to resolve.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Tue 21/07/09 at 11:36
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I'll look into CP.

I am fairly confident it is overheating to be honest, not sure why you mentioned the disc drive.

The symptoms are random and seem dependant on what type of action I am performing. If I watch a DVD its ok, most ps3 games ok. When I play Sacred 2, or play online multiplayer it crashes, freezes, whirs and does everything but blow up after 30 mins or so.
Tue 21/07/09 at 07:38
Regular
No disassemble! Number 3 is alive!

Mon 20/07/09 at 21:22
"possibly impossible"
It's unusual for the PS3 to sound that loud to say the least. Sounds like the heat from the main board is putting too much pressure on the fan. I doubt it's the disc drive.

Still, it's worrying as it may be a sign of worse things to come, Are you covered by Continous Play? If not I'm afraid they're not taking more customers at the moment due to people signing up just to get their console fixed then cancelling. Luckily I got in there in time and when my PS3 broke (Blu-ray reading error) it took 2 days to get a replacement.

CP should come back at some point with a new set of rules to stop people taking advantage of the insurance just for a quick fix.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, anyway.
Mon 20/07/09 at 15:37
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
As an update, I bailed out of doing this over the weekend. Couldn't find a Torx screwdriver and didn't really have time. Will do it tomorrow hopefully.
Sat 18/07/09 at 16:51
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> pete_21 wrote:
> Being an Xbox 360 owner I'm used to having a games console
> which
> sounds like a hovercraft anyway ! :)
>
> Especially the elite! :P I can hardly hear myself think over it!
> xD

Lol you think? :S

Anywho. That's the guide I had based my decision around Pete. That and the YouTube video too. I'm also installing a new cooling system, and if push comes to shove I may have to replace the laser. Hope not but at this point I'm just cleaning the old gal out.
Sat 18/07/09 at 15:38
Regular
"How Ironic"
pete_21 wrote:
> Being an Xbox 360 owner I'm used to having a games console which
> sounds like a hovercraft anyway ! :)

Especially the elite! :P I can hardly hear myself think over it! xD
Sat 18/07/09 at 15:29
Regular
"I like turtles"
Don't know if this guide is of any use to you ?.It seems pretty straightforward to follow : Here

I suppose any guide which ends with the line 'Congratulations! You now have a completely disassembled Playstation 3!' has to be helpful !.

Being an Xbox 360 owner I'm used to having a games console which sounds like a hovercraft anyway ! :)

Best of luck with the project.
Sat 18/07/09 at 14:43
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Some of you may have read my Sacred 2 guide and will understand why my PS3 is now acting like Iggy Pop on the insurance ads.

Due to this I am going to attempt to disassemble it to clean and dust it, and check the cooling system. It is my hope that this is the cause of it sounding louder than Paris Hilton on a night out, and be easy to resolve.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.