GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Going to disassemble my PS3"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/07/09 at 14:43
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Some of you may have read my Sacred 2 guide and will understand why my PS3 is now acting like Iggy Pop on the insurance ads.

Due to this I am going to attempt to disassemble it to clean and dust it, and check the cooling system. It is my hope that this is the cause of it sounding louder than Paris Hilton on a night out, and be easy to resolve.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Fri 11/06/10 at 02:12
Regular
"looking around"
that will be a good idea because you don't want to have to worry about it
Wed 09/06/10 at 13:50
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I'm going to sell my PS3 that I have atm for an upgrade. Should cover some of the cost.
Wed 09/06/10 at 13:13
Regular
"How Ironic"
I'll be doing this the next time my Xbox breaks, and if it doesn't fix, I'll be converting to a PS3.
Wed 09/06/10 at 11:38
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Alfoncy wrote:
> Doesn't that void the warranty?

What are you? an angel? ;)

It's out of warranty and they wanted £150 to repair it. Pffff.... it took 20 minutes.
Wed 09/06/10 at 09:44
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Edgy wrote:
> No disassemble! Number 3 is alive!

Maybe so, but what about Number 5...
Tue 08/06/10 at 21:04
Regular
Doesn't that void the warranty?
Tue 08/06/10 at 16:20
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Yay, reviving this thread. because my PS3 broke last Wednesday. YLOD (strangely close to WHY.... LORD!?"

Anyway, bought myself a heat gun and some thermal paste and went to town on it.

Tried to do my mates at the same time. (His was YLOD too).

Mine now works perfectly, but his does not :( Oh well, 1 of 2 aint bad.

I'm amazed at how different the Gen 1 is from the Gen 2 and later models. It's like a representation of how screwed up the release model was.
Thu 23/07/09 at 13:59
"possibly impossible"
Yep, mine got replaced because of the laser under CP (2 days wait and then a week of downloading the content back on my hard drive!).

Most of the time though the laser going tends to resort in unreadable discs straight away rather than skipping or pausing games, which tends to be the overheating issue.

With my 360 when it went all RROD I asked them to replace the disc drive at the same time as I knew it was an issue with the 360's!
Wed 22/07/09 at 09:44
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
pb wrote:
> You wrote: "if push comes to shove I may have to replace
> the laser." Hence the Drive comment.
>
> Usual questions are: Is it outside, not in a cupboard? Is it
> well ventilated? I'm sure the answer is yes.
>
> Have you tried a compressed air canister to clean through the
> grills to the fan? Works well for PCs, have one in my Belkin
> kit.

Ah right, I see no. Thought you actually meant the drive itself. The laser is a last resort at the moment, although it is a common issue with the release PS3's.

It is ventilated yes, and well aired. The only thing is our TV stand is solid glass so attracts dust like Brittany Spears getting out of a low vechicle attracts papa's!

I'm going to try the canister soon, but opening and cleaning is still the route at the mo. Going to re apply some thermal paste too I thinks.
Tue 21/07/09 at 16:11
"possibly impossible"
Warhunt wrote:
> I'll look into CP.
>
> I am fairly confident it is overheating to be honest, not sure
> why you mentioned the disc drive.
>
> The symptoms are random and seem dependant on what type of
> action I am performing. If I watch a DVD its ok, most ps3 games
> ok. When I play Sacred 2, or play online multiplayer it crashes,
> freezes, whirs and does everything but blow up after 30 mins or
> so.

You wrote: "if push comes to shove I may have to replace the laser." Hence the Drive comment.

Usual questions are: Is it outside, not in a cupboard? Is it well ventilated? I'm sure the answer is yes.

Have you tried a compressed air canister to clean through the grills to the fan? Works well for PCs, have one in my Belkin kit.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.