GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What IS the future of gaming?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/03/01 at 02:22
Regular
This forum is supposed to be about the future of gaming, so excuse me if this has already been done before but im new around here.

What does everyone expect from games/consoles over the next few years?

My vision is of a whole virtual battlefield, incoporating PC, DC, PS2 X and 'Cube owners into the war.

Someone would command the troops C & C style, other people could be pilots in the war, others could drive tanks or something and a third set could play first person like UT or something.

It's just a suggestion, so what do other people think?
Sun 11/03/01 at 14:45
No, I won't. The richest pygmy on the planet's trying to destroy my beloved console systems.
Sun 11/03/01 at 14:44
Regular
Go on mate, let it all out!

Feel better? Ok take a few deep breaths, you'll be ok :-)
Sun 11/03/01 at 14:28
You know who else I blame for this? I hate to say it since I adore their games, but I blame SEGA. Making the deal with Microsoft to use its OS for their Dreamcast is probably what put the idea in Gates's head to begin with. Prior to that, he'd had no interest in consoles.
Sun 11/03/01 at 14:21
Exactly. So, to me, when I read up about Microsoft's new pseudo-PC, I became pretty ticked off. It's like Bill Gates is intentionally trying to ensure that, no matter what, if there's a digital system out there, he's got a hand in it. The X-Box is going to usher in the PC-ification of consoles, and frankly I think the mad looney's doing it on purpose to boost his ability to reach out and crash my gaming fun. After all, he's got a monopoly in the PC market and now he's trying to turn consoles into them? Screw that.
Sun 11/03/01 at 14:18
Regular
'S true, with console you just plop the disk in, turn em on and away you go. With PC's you have to sort out all that directx cr@p, sound card drivers etc etc blah blah the list goes on!
Sun 11/03/01 at 14:17
Regular
I know exactly what you are saying and i agree. I dont want to have to install nortons antivirus 2003 on my X-Box2 or whatever.
Sun 11/03/01 at 14:16
Besides, the more like PCs consoles become, the LESS they'll appeal to casual gamers.

Think about it: The majority reason why people feel more comfortable playing on consoles as opposed to PCs is because they're intimidated by them. There's an ambiguity to PCs that isn't present with consoles.
Sun 11/03/01 at 14:15
You've got a valid point there, Your Honour.

But what does that matter if you have to full format your 8 gig hard drive that housed all your saved games, all downloaded mods, and any additional things you've got saved on it to supplement your gaming?
Sun 11/03/01 at 14:12
Regular
I agree with you in that i dont want to have to format my PS4 or whatever. But if gaming does appeal to the "wider audience" then more money will be in the market. This means that developers will take chances on different and innovative games that maybe they wouldnt have done before.
Sun 11/03/01 at 14:08
Grix:

Honestly I couldn't care less whether casual gamers get into the industry more because of these additions. In that respect, they're good. But the direction this industry is heading in is that eventually there will be nothing to distinguish the internal architecture of a console from a PC; essentially we'll all be playing PCs in the future, which means reboots, full formats, the evil Blue Screen of Death (TM)...

In essence, the stability and ease of console gaming will be no more. And THAT's what I'm afraid of.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.