GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mac Vs Windows"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/03/01 at 20:52
Regular
This was just bursting for a discussion so here we go. Windows, Microsoft's Key product, from Wondows 3.1 all the way to Microsoft 2000 ME. And What a way we have come, I use that royal we there as I daren't side with anyone in such a war as this, but regardless. Windows is happily used by loads of computer people worldwide, whther or not Bill Gates is sitting in his dungeon hacking in to your files is another matter, apart from the illegal operations and more errors that a rushed SR post windows customers seem to take it as normal and have never explored the world of Mac. The company with the cool computers. Mac are the life-line for all Windows haters and they are not just a name, they pack on hell of a punch with both their computers and software and cannot be taken for a (metaphorical) ride in my book!

I have Windows, I am not ashamed of that and although it does crash and there will be a legion of you who will despise me for succumbing to such a thing. I think that Windows is quite good, the functions and options are limitless and because of the internet being so Windows orientated, upgrades and patches for files and games are easy to come by.

Mac on the other hand doesn't quite have the same market share and although thier users are just as loyal, if not more the software and files aren't available in the same dominant presence as Microsoft's!

I don't prefer either, my Dad had Windows so that is the way it goes for me, I know '98 about aswell as your average hegdehog knows the Highway Code, but I am learning...But am I...or am I slowly falling into the trap!

Will Mac ever level up with Microsoft, I think that maybe people will get so suspicious about Microsoft's plans for the future,( including charging and getting credit card details from millions of MSN users,) that they might, just might see the light in the world of the Mac...

Your Thoughts...and Remember...

In a secret dungeon,
in the middle of a cliff,
amongst the spiders and poo,
There is an evil being lurking there
and HE is watching YOU!

The Game

Bwrrrrahahahahahahhaha

Fri 09/03/01 at 23:20
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
It does... But its ment as part of a LAN OS... rather than a homeuser, single system OS...

Less a competitor to Windows95/98/ME/etc...

More a threat to Windows NT/2000
Fri 09/03/01 at 23:19
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I know I said that compared to Microsoft Mac have very little market share. The things is Linux, as 'user friendly' and good the OS maybe it isn't in any place to compete with MS or Mac. I think that to really get going one of these companies need to sacore a deal with a big-time Computer retailer, whther it be PC World or Tiny, they need to get Mac / Linux OS's out and about. Even if they are copied or whatever, they need to get people using the product, a bit like a 'try before you buy' idea. It will build them a foundation of fans on which they can build their future, Simple Enough! Microsoft have already done this and are building the castle (or dungeon...:D), Mac and Linux need to get the foundation stiff as a brick and then get more 'bricks' to compete with microsoft! But with microsoft so far ahead even Bob might not be able to fix this for Mac or Linux!

The Game
Fri 09/03/01 at 23:04
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
How come linux never gets a look in in these..
Fri 09/03/01 at 22:14
Regular
"You've upset me"
Sillius Soddess wrote:

however why dont Mac
> users just get mouses with 2 or 3 buttons!

I think unless Mac users get multibutton
> mouses they may be left behind in the race for the Future of Gaming.
> How do you play Quake with a one button mouse???

Alright, shut up already with the one buttoned mouse will you?!

2 and 3 button mouses are available for the Mac range and even if you have a one button mosue by pressing shift and clicking the mouse the computer recognises it as a click of the right hand button
Fri 09/03/01 at 22:10
...at least not in this generation. People think Computer's they think Microsoft they think Windows...they think oh no my hard drives corrupted, I cant save a file, what 2hours work gone. no, no!

I think the Mac OS is superior to the Windows OS, however why dont Mac users just get mouses with 2 or 3 buttons!

There may not be as applications around for the Mac, but then all the quality software is available on both formats. In certain areas Macs also excell, such as Art(Macs rule) and Music(Apparently Windows2000 has alot of trouble with its Music drivers).

My personal opinion is that I would rather use a Mac, but my PC is second hand and second hand Macs arent cheap!...so I use Windows on a PC.

Personally though, the Amigas OS was far better than both and if the Amiga hadnt died due to CommodoreUS's mismanagement then there would be a current Amiga OS incarnation that would wipe the floor with both Windows and Mac OS.

I think unless Mac users get multibutton mouses they may be left behind in the race for the Future of Gaming. How do you play Quake with a one button mouse???
Fri 09/03/01 at 22:06
Regular
"You've upset me"
VenomByte wrote:
> RastaBillySkank wrote:
Now thats where
> your wrong, you've
> just ot to look in the right places to see that
> Mac
> games/accessories/add ons etc etc are as widley as available
> as
> all PC products

A yes, so what you're saying is that mac
> products are just as widely available as pc products, whilst at the
> same time being much harder to find?

:)

Exactly :-)

Fri 09/03/01 at 22:04
Regular
Yeah user friendly windows is most.
Fri 09/03/01 at 22:02
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Only to regular windows users. I bet er-no finds Mac a lot easier to use...
Fri 09/03/01 at 21:57
Regular
Windows is easier to use though!
Fri 09/03/01 at 21:25
Regular
"smile, it's free"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
Now thats where
> your wrong, you've just ot to look in the right places to see that
> Mac games/accessories/add ons etc etc are as widley as available as
> all PC products

A yes, so what you're saying is that mac products are just as widely available as pc products, whilst at the same time being much harder to find?

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.