GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ring."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/10/03 at 13:00
Regular
Channel 4. 12:20am Thursday.

Watch it/Tape it.

Its the *original* Japanese movie. Not the crap hollywood remake of the film, its raw, its Japanese, and its bloody good.

I'm a major fan of Japanese movies, so i'm definatly looking forward to watching this again.

I hope they show Battle Royale on channel 4 sometime :P
Fri 31/10/03 at 00:02
Regular
"She's a dog!"
It's on in 20 minutes
Wed 29/10/03 at 11:48
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
gamezfreak wrote:
> I know its Japanese, and I didn't automatically think "this is
> great because it's from japan!" when I watched it.

Aye, just look at the Godzilla films. (Joking, joking, I love the big Gojira, what the hell am I talking about!?!?!?!?!?!?!)
Wed 29/10/03 at 11:43
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> Just because the original is Japanese, doesn't make it automatically
> good, you bunch of scenester ass-munchers.

I know its Japanese, and I didn't automatically think "this is great because it's from japan!" when I watched it.

I just preffered the original Japanese Ring to the remake.

It's not that scary - but it's well made.
Wed 29/10/03 at 07:52
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Dringo wrote:
> *SPOILER*
>
> Gore Verbinksi (Pirates of the Caribbean) in fact improved the
> fantastic ending. Those may remember that throughout the video the
> scene skips a bit and Samara appears closer to the screen... the
> video jumps a bit. Well this occured after she appears out of the TV
> and she jumped several feet towards the bloke... it scared me and the
> audience crapless.
>
> The original despite being scary DID NOT include this jump.

Despite knowing that Sadako (Samatra in the remake) was coming out of the Tv this jump scare in the remake, although a cheap jump made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Nasty.

I agree with Goatboy that the American remake is a better film than the original (check out the numerous sequels and prequels to Ringu, all are poorer than the original which isnt great.) For a very nasty Japanese film try "Audition". Slow to start (as is the way in all Japanese films) and focusing on an almost romantic aspect, the final act takes a cheery gleefulness of whipping the carpet form underneath you.
Wed 29/10/03 at 04:00
Regular
"everyone says it"
kittworld wrote:
> Hasn't Battle Royale 2 come out yet? I shall be watching the Ring too.
> I'll have to remember to prank call people after they see it
> "...seven days... 0_0"

Not on dvd. I do have a version but its in Japanese.

Shame really, I want to watch it bad!
Wed 29/10/03 at 01:02
Regular
*SPOILER*

Gore Verbinksi (Pirates of the Caribbean) in fact improved the fantastic ending. Those may remember that throughout the video the scene skips a bit and Samara appears closer to the screen... the video jumps a bit. Well this occured after she appears out of the TV and she jumped several feet towards the bloke... it scared me and the audience crapless.

The original despite being scary DID NOT include this jump.
Tue 28/10/03 at 22:28
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Saw the original Japanese version and it bored me stupid except for the end.
Watched the US remake a couple weeks ago and it's actually better. They've jettisoned a lot of the "atmospheric" (dull) bits and stuck in Brian Cox being mental in a bath, made the "Oh I'll empty the well for 5 hours" section interesting and made the ending even creepier.

Just because the original is Japanese, doesn't make it automatically good, you bunch of scenester ass-munchers.
Tue 28/10/03 at 12:57
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Although I forgot to mention, Ringu: Kanzen-ban

Which is the original 1995 tv film. This is also a Japanese production, and directed by the Ringu film director, Hideo Nakata.

God, I'm bored.........
Tue 28/10/03 at 12:51
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Kyz21 wrote:
> When was original Ring made
>
> The original Ring is actually called Ringu, it's Korean and very hard
> to get hold of these days.

Its not. There are a number of different versions of the film. "The Ring Virus" is a medical / horror film jointly Korean and Japanese. The original ring *is* called Ringu, but its quite easy to get hold of. Hell, my local video shop has it, as well as the sequel and prequel. "Rasen" is the official sequel to "Ringu", but wasn't well received by Japanese audiences so they did an Omen. I.e. ignore "Rasen" and film and release "Ring 2" as an official followup.

http://ringworld.somrux.com/
Tue 28/10/03 at 11:22
Regular
Kyz21 wrote:
> When was original Ring made

The original Ring is actually called Ringu, it's Korean and very hard to get hold of these days.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.