GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Kill Bill thoughts."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/10/03 at 10:25
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Although I had low expectations when going to see this last night, I can however say that despite these misgivings, I still thought it was utter unadulterated toss.

I love his previous films as much as anybody, but what we have here is massive hype all because it’s from Tarantino, the man who’s brain has been sweating in it’s own pop culture loving juices ever since Jackie Brown, and for me it delivered very little. Despite the ravings from all the beardy wannabe film studies students about all the amazing qualities of the cinematography and the style he created, it still sucks big time *in my opinion*.

The script wasn’t anything amazing. A few cool lines here and there but not the barrage of cool and quotable lines we know and love from his previous films, and overall it just wasn’t a patch on his other things. There wasn’t even really a decent story created.
The fragmented chronology loved by QT and used so effectively in his previous films just didn’t work, seemed utterly pointless and even confusing as to why he bothered.
The movie as a whole was too bitty, and played out like a load of scenes cobbled together rather than a proper flowing movie, and it just lacked something.

Most of the film just played out in too much of a clichéd ham-fisted manner, whether this is intentional I don’t really care. The characters were totally 2 dimensional and also highly clichéd. The Bride goes to Japanese sword maker, two minutes later she has a mighty blade to vanquish the evil-doers. There was no real build up to that, she just went there, got the sword and that was it. No epic journey to find an amazing sword, it was just given to her.

The last battle of vol. 1 was also a big disappointment, we had The Bride battling through hoards of Yakuza minions, and the scene is set for an excellent grand finale. We enter the highly clichéd Japanese winter garden, where an epic duel should amaze and delight the filmgoers. But the fight was naff. Hardly the epic and amazing duel we should have expected from two so-called amazing warriors. Wolf from Gladiators had better fights when he bashed the hell out of plebs with his pugil-stick.

I love kung fu, I like on-screen violence, and I liked the atmosphere Tarantino created/stole, but the whole time I just felt he was lurking behind the camera, nodding and winking to fellow film nerds when he pays homage/rips off various old school kung fu bits, all the while believing he was the greatest kung fu director in history, when he clearly isn’t. The fight scenes were ok, nothing amazing though, especially if you’re used to watching many a kung fu film. Was the violence so OTT that it was done to make up for the lack of a decent movie? I think so.

QT has tried to do something different; he’s taken his maverick style and applied it to old kung fu genre and the crossover just failed. The characters were boring, the plot simple and uninspiring, the script disappointing and the action was nothing special. It’s just lazy filmmaking; take loads of classic ideas from the Kung Fu genre and stick them all together and serve it up to the masses. But because it’s from Tarantino we shouldn’t question it, we should just say, ”it’s cool”. I don’t agree.

The anime flashback bit was pretty good, though just because Tarantino likes a bit of anime doesn’t mean he should stick a 5-minute section slap bang into the middle of his film. It’s an interesting idea, but was just out of place and reeks of self-indulgence.

If you want to watch a decent kung fu film, there’s plenty on offer, from cheesy ones to ultra violent ones, and if you want to watch a decent revenge flick, then watch Point Blank or, heck, even Commando.

I’m sure the movie-going masses enjoyed it, as they tend to lap up everything thrown at them nowadays, especially if it has any type of kung fu in it, but this viewer was disappointed he’d wasted £6 and had to bother venturing out on a cold Sunday evening for two hours of overrated pap. My brother went with an open mind, and he hated it too, and he’d wasted £6 and some petrol.
Style over substance, self-indulgence from a director, lots of blood and limbs being chopped off doesn’t make a film great, and how people could call this the best film of the year is insulting to the other great films released this year.

I’ll still go and see volume 2, purely because Michael Madsen will feature, and may be good in it, and there’s the hope that it surely can't be worse than volume 1.
Mon 20/10/03 at 10:25
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Although I had low expectations when going to see this last night, I can however say that despite these misgivings, I still thought it was utter unadulterated toss.

I love his previous films as much as anybody, but what we have here is massive hype all because it’s from Tarantino, the man who’s brain has been sweating in it’s own pop culture loving juices ever since Jackie Brown, and for me it delivered very little. Despite the ravings from all the beardy wannabe film studies students about all the amazing qualities of the cinematography and the style he created, it still sucks big time *in my opinion*.

The script wasn’t anything amazing. A few cool lines here and there but not the barrage of cool and quotable lines we know and love from his previous films, and overall it just wasn’t a patch on his other things. There wasn’t even really a decent story created.
The fragmented chronology loved by QT and used so effectively in his previous films just didn’t work, seemed utterly pointless and even confusing as to why he bothered.
The movie as a whole was too bitty, and played out like a load of scenes cobbled together rather than a proper flowing movie, and it just lacked something.

Most of the film just played out in too much of a clichéd ham-fisted manner, whether this is intentional I don’t really care. The characters were totally 2 dimensional and also highly clichéd. The Bride goes to Japanese sword maker, two minutes later she has a mighty blade to vanquish the evil-doers. There was no real build up to that, she just went there, got the sword and that was it. No epic journey to find an amazing sword, it was just given to her.

The last battle of vol. 1 was also a big disappointment, we had The Bride battling through hoards of Yakuza minions, and the scene is set for an excellent grand finale. We enter the highly clichéd Japanese winter garden, where an epic duel should amaze and delight the filmgoers. But the fight was naff. Hardly the epic and amazing duel we should have expected from two so-called amazing warriors. Wolf from Gladiators had better fights when he bashed the hell out of plebs with his pugil-stick.

I love kung fu, I like on-screen violence, and I liked the atmosphere Tarantino created/stole, but the whole time I just felt he was lurking behind the camera, nodding and winking to fellow film nerds when he pays homage/rips off various old school kung fu bits, all the while believing he was the greatest kung fu director in history, when he clearly isn’t. The fight scenes were ok, nothing amazing though, especially if you’re used to watching many a kung fu film. Was the violence so OTT that it was done to make up for the lack of a decent movie? I think so.

QT has tried to do something different; he’s taken his maverick style and applied it to old kung fu genre and the crossover just failed. The characters were boring, the plot simple and uninspiring, the script disappointing and the action was nothing special. It’s just lazy filmmaking; take loads of classic ideas from the Kung Fu genre and stick them all together and serve it up to the masses. But because it’s from Tarantino we shouldn’t question it, we should just say, ”it’s cool”. I don’t agree.

The anime flashback bit was pretty good, though just because Tarantino likes a bit of anime doesn’t mean he should stick a 5-minute section slap bang into the middle of his film. It’s an interesting idea, but was just out of place and reeks of self-indulgence.

If you want to watch a decent kung fu film, there’s plenty on offer, from cheesy ones to ultra violent ones, and if you want to watch a decent revenge flick, then watch Point Blank or, heck, even Commando.

I’m sure the movie-going masses enjoyed it, as they tend to lap up everything thrown at them nowadays, especially if it has any type of kung fu in it, but this viewer was disappointed he’d wasted £6 and had to bother venturing out on a cold Sunday evening for two hours of overrated pap. My brother went with an open mind, and he hated it too, and he’d wasted £6 and some petrol.
Style over substance, self-indulgence from a director, lots of blood and limbs being chopped off doesn’t make a film great, and how people could call this the best film of the year is insulting to the other great films released this year.

I’ll still go and see volume 2, purely because Michael Madsen will feature, and may be good in it, and there’s the hope that it surely can't be worse than volume 1.
Mon 20/10/03 at 10:33
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Hmmm, a pity you didn't enjoy it. I thought it was great, and the two hours flew by. Can't wait for volume two.

The House of Blue Leaves sequence was one of the most gratuitously violent sequences I’ve ever seen, and the bladework reminded me of Akira Kurosawa’s classic “Yojimbo”
Mon 20/10/03 at 12:44
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Like I said, if you expected it to be rubbish, the faults are that much easier to find.
Your loss that you didn't enjoy it, I suppose.
Mon 20/10/03 at 12:48
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Totoro wrote:
> I’m sure the movie-going masses enjoyed it, as they tend to lap up
> everything thrown at them nowadays, especially if it has any type of
> kung fu in it

---

"movie-going masses"
Which would indicate you consider yourself above these "masses".
So you obviously got the references in practically every scene then.
The Crazy 88's, Daryl Hannah whistling a certain-theme tune as she walks down the corridor in the hospital, the shawscope titles, Hanazo, Sonny Chiba, "roaring rampage of revenge" etc etc.
Mon 20/10/03 at 12:49
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Yes.
Mon 20/10/03 at 12:51
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Go on then.
The Crazy 88 reference was?
The tune from Daryl Hannah was?
Hattori Hanzo is good because?

Sorry, saying you don't like it is all fine, different strokes and all that, but please don't position yourself above "the masses" yet complain because it's just "kung-fu done better"
Mon 20/10/03 at 12:53
Regular
"Taste My Pain"
This film sounds like toss. Woo'esque violence and a host of wink wink references to other movies?

Why not just cut out the violence, and paste what's left into the movie quiz in Empire. That way it's cheaper for the consumer, and they get a load of useful information about the rest of the movie scene at the same time.
Mon 20/10/03 at 12:56
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I don't allow myself to be sucked in by hype.

Look at the hype and furore surrounding The Matrix Reloaded. People hyped it up to the max, and got totally sucked in by hype and believed it would be the best film ever, but the film failed to deliver for many many people. I feel the same way with Kill Bill. There’s so much hype surrounding it, but I feel it just doesn’t deserve all this.
If it wasn’t directed by Tarantino then it would be laughed at; the cheesy references to kung fu films of old, the terrible script, boring characters etc, but just because he directed it, beardy people are creaming themselves over it.

Hype it up all you want, laugh at all the references the nerd is showing you, but I didn’t like it.
Mon 20/10/03 at 12:57
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Fair enough.
So the examples I provided, that you got, are?
Mon 20/10/03 at 13:05
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Shouldn't take that long to use google...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.