GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The opposite of Violence"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/03/01 at 23:19
Regular
'Games create violence' - we all know that old chestnut. I, on the other hand, have a very different view.

Games, in my opinion, create a peaceful atmosphere and even help you to lose all that anger and frustration by taking it out on fantasy based character.

Come home from work wanting to throttle the boss? Why not pretend he's bowser or Dr Robotnik? You can certainly give him a good hiding from the comfort of your own room and not have to worry about losing your job either! Or even better, you could play on-line and defeat a real opponent in Quake III or Unreal Tornament. You could take it one step further and stop wars by letting world leaders sit down and play a game to eradicate their anger. I'm sure russia would probably be quite happy competing in a game of Tetris.

So you can shoot terrorists in a game? Surely this is much better than going down the pub, drinking 10 pints and then smashing someone over the head or causing damage to some old ladies lawn? It has the bonus of getting rid of all that stress and being a fun and fairly safe way to do it too.

There are bound to be a few exceptions. Obviously fights might break out while indulging in multiplayer Goldeneye, but what's a few less limbs among friends?* More often than not you'll all have a good time and the winner will have to provide the next round of drinks, all in the name of entertainment.

So much for violence, computer games are there to make are lives better and prevent us from getting far too wrapped up in the outside world.

* I do not encourage this type of violence, it will only end in tears before beadtime you know!
Wed 24/06/09 at 22:46
Regular
UK residents can go to Amazon (UK) using this Link

And you could pick up a second hand copy of 'In search of the Tiger' for 15 pence! (beware postage)

Well any link to Amazon on site will do. You don't have to purchase this item, you can buy others, just so long as you go to Amazon using a link with miniaturegolferc at the end.

What happens to the ridiculous amounts of money generated in this way? It all gets ploughed straight back into this site.

We also need scans of old photos, postcards and other crazy golf ephemera. Scorecards are one of my particular favourites.

And we need reviews, good or bad, of courses you've played.
Any pictures of said courses gratefully received.
And have a chat with any course owners/managers and get them to send details to this site. And get them to affiliate to the BMGA if they're in the UK.

We use the Advanced JPEG Compressor
The most comprehensive Windows utility available for compressing and optimizing images in JPEG format.

By clicking on this link and buying this excellent product you help expand the site!

Thinking of starting a course, you need these

Start Your Own Miniature Golf Course

The Business Plan for Your Miniature Golf Course

And the site benefits.

Visit this site for crazy golf course hire

Buy this book !!
Nutters with Putters
Wed 07/03/01 at 20:24
"possibly impossible"
Cheers Meka and well done on your win too!

I bet that once these violence topics have dissapeared off of the list then another one will appear a month or so later.

Everything in life goes in circles. Must be why I've been driving around all day trying to get to work.....

Wed 07/03/01 at 18:30
Regular
So computer games cause violence.....isn't this just one in a long list of things which the older generations have blamed for violence in younger generations, along with TV, music, etc, etc. Come on, who is it that thinks hmmm...GTA2, running around hijacking cars, now there's a good idea! and goes out and does just that. There was surely something wrong with that person before they played the game. To any sane person, there seems to be no reason for a computer game to cause violence, as long as you remember that it is just a game. After all, without violence, some games would be very dull. Who would want to play the supermarket shopping sim, or GT, M25 version? The idea of a computer game is to let you do something which you cannot do in real life, and violence is just that.
Wed 07/03/01 at 08:09
Regular
"not dead"
er-no wrote:
> opposite of violence: love, care, tweenies, teletubbies!

I used to think that the Telletubbies was rubbish until my daughter saw it. It gets an amazing response from young children.

Anyway, I think that pb deserved a win. It's a well written topic.

Remember, there's more to winning gameady than coming up with an original topic, look at the style this post has been written it.

He may have said something that's been said before, but hey, I guess he said it better.

I doubt that there are many topics posted on this forum that someone else hasn't posted something similar to before. In fact I'm sure I've used ALL of the words in pb's post, at sometime in my life......
Tue 06/03/01 at 20:45
Regular
"everyone says it"
opposite of violence: love, care, tweenies, teletubbies!
Tue 06/03/01 at 20:42
"possibly impossible"
D'oh. Side effects I never thought of!
Tue 06/03/01 at 20:35
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
The opposite of violence = Care Bears!?!?!?... nooooo!
Tue 06/03/01 at 20:31
Regular
The opposite of violence 'peace!', 'no!!!!!!!'.
Tue 06/03/01 at 20:27
Regular
"everyone says it"
me? whats happening to me? my hands are starting to stick to the imac keyboard I am metlllginf...
Tue 06/03/01 at 20:26
Regular
er-no wrote:
> well er, i think mine is going to lay this topic to rest for a few
> months, as it seems never to be stopping and there have been sooo
> ant gameaday winners from the past for violence and all
> that.

comeon guys lets change the record,(after reading my
> opinion.)

he is.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.