GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The opposite of Violence"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/03/01 at 23:19
Regular
'Games create violence' - we all know that old chestnut. I, on the other hand, have a very different view.

Games, in my opinion, create a peaceful atmosphere and even help you to lose all that anger and frustration by taking it out on fantasy based character.

Come home from work wanting to throttle the boss? Why not pretend he's bowser or Dr Robotnik? You can certainly give him a good hiding from the comfort of your own room and not have to worry about losing your job either! Or even better, you could play on-line and defeat a real opponent in Quake III or Unreal Tornament. You could take it one step further and stop wars by letting world leaders sit down and play a game to eradicate their anger. I'm sure russia would probably be quite happy competing in a game of Tetris.

So you can shoot terrorists in a game? Surely this is much better than going down the pub, drinking 10 pints and then smashing someone over the head or causing damage to some old ladies lawn? It has the bonus of getting rid of all that stress and being a fun and fairly safe way to do it too.

There are bound to be a few exceptions. Obviously fights might break out while indulging in multiplayer Goldeneye, but what's a few less limbs among friends?* More often than not you'll all have a good time and the winner will have to provide the next round of drinks, all in the name of entertainment.

So much for violence, computer games are there to make are lives better and prevent us from getting far too wrapped up in the outside world.

* I do not encourage this type of violence, it will only end in tears before beadtime you know!
Mon 05/03/01 at 23:19
"possibly impossible"
'Games create violence' - we all know that old chestnut. I, on the other hand, have a very different view.

Games, in my opinion, create a peaceful atmosphere and even help you to lose all that anger and frustration by taking it out on fantasy based character.

Come home from work wanting to throttle the boss? Why not pretend he's bowser or Dr Robotnik? You can certainly give him a good hiding from the comfort of your own room and not have to worry about losing your job either! Or even better, you could play on-line and defeat a real opponent in Quake III or Unreal Tornament. You could take it one step further and stop wars by letting world leaders sit down and play a game to eradicate their anger. I'm sure russia would probably be quite happy competing in a game of Tetris.

So you can shoot terrorists in a game? Surely this is much better than going down the pub, drinking 10 pints and then smashing someone over the head or causing damage to some old ladies lawn? It has the bonus of getting rid of all that stress and being a fun and fairly safe way to do it too.

There are bound to be a few exceptions. Obviously fights might break out while indulging in multiplayer Goldeneye, but what's a few less limbs among friends?* More often than not you'll all have a good time and the winner will have to provide the next round of drinks, all in the name of entertainment.

So much for violence, computer games are there to make are lives better and prevent us from getting far too wrapped up in the outside world.

* I do not encourage this type of violence, it will only end in tears before beadtime you know!
Tue 06/03/01 at 00:03
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
The best thing to do would be to get a copy of WWF Attitude, create your real life foe in 'Create'a'Charachter' mode and then proceed to kick his money @$$ all over the place.

But I do have to disagree with the games cause comfort. They are great to play, and one of the few genuine forms of fun, especially in winter but not beating the end boss after the 34th time can be annoying. My brother recently beat Bowser in Get Charachter mode in Mario Golf but for Weeks, no, Months before that I had absolute barmy'fits. I must have got through about 3 N64 controllers and 2 TV's, I went mental, so in the aspect games can be as infuriating as sitting in church when you were young when your mum had confiscated you Gameboy, but there are always good moments in games...if you still have any controllers left to play them...

...The Game
Tue 06/03/01 at 16:42
Regular
The wonder of avatars...

Mind you, didn't Rare say they didn't include the face pasting thing in PD because:

A) It was too technically demanding.

B) It was supposed to encourage kids to shoot their teachers/brothers/sisters/so on.

Perhaps... Perfect Dark is a quite realistic game when it comes to deaths... if you ignore the blocky heads and blurred faces... :D

But still, the movement of the bodies is quite gruesome at most.
Tue 06/03/01 at 16:50
Regular
did this win or something?
Tue 06/03/01 at 16:58
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Yep. Wonder if he'd have won for putting the same thing in the other violence thread?
Tue 06/03/01 at 17:37
Regular
dunno, that's the problem with gameaday....
Tue 06/03/01 at 18:13
Regular
pb wrote:
> 'Games create violence' - we all know that old chestnut. I, on the
> other hand, have a very different view.

Games, in my opinion,
> create a peaceful atmosphere and even help you to lose all that
> anger and frustration by taking it out on fantasy based
> character.

Come home from work wanting to throttle the boss? Why
> not pretend he's bowser or Dr Robotnik? You can certainly give him
> a good hiding from the comfort of your own room and not have to
> worry about losing your job either! Or even better, you could play
> on-line and defeat a real opponent in Quake III or Unreal Tornament.
> You could take it one step further and stop wars by letting world
> leaders sit down and play a game to eradicate their anger. I'm sure
> russia would probably be quite happy competing in a game of
> Tetris.

So you can shoot terrorists in a game? Surely this is
> much better than going down the pub, drinking 10 pints and then
> smashing someone over the head or causing damage to some old ladies
> lawn? It has the bonus of getting rid of all that stress and being
> a fun and fairly safe way to do it too.

There are bound to be a
> few exceptions. Obviously fights might break out while indulging in
> multiplayer Goldeneye, but what's a few less limbs among friends?*
> More often than not you'll all have a good time and the winner will
> have to provide the next round of drinks, all in the name of
> entertainment.

So much for violence, computer games are there to
> make are lives better and prevent us from getting far too wrapped up
> in the outside world.

* I do not encourage this type of
> violence, it will only end in tears before beadtime you know!

I'm sure I posted something like this 3/4 of a year ago!
Tue 06/03/01 at 18:19
Regular
It looks like I'm the first to congratulate you... Well done on winning!
Tue 06/03/01 at 18:24
Regular
Yes well done in winning but i feel a little hard done by as i wrote a very similar thing about Video game violence on saturday in the does video games cause violence forum but hey thats democracy
Tue 06/03/01 at 18:24
Regular
"everyone says it"
this won? is swear this is a weak pb topic, he can write some brill stuff, but I spose there wasn't much here in the form of topics yesterday.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.