GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Interesting question..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/10/03 at 16:37
Regular
My mate recently asked me a question, and it really got me think so I thought I'd post it here:

Would you rather have a life with no financial troubles, the money to get what you want and essentially a 'perfect' life, or what you've been given?

I'll start off by saying that, no matter how much I may moan about people being better off than myself, I wouldn't want to change it. We all have our problems, but I like to think that a bit of a struggle in life makes for a more interesting outcome. Getting anything you like without working makes me think it's just a waste of a life. Plus, a disability to see everything you may want to see, or have what you may want to have can change your life; half of things I live for, and I love, may not have been discovered if I chose another path.

So, what would you rather?
Sun 12/10/03 at 16:37
Regular
My mate recently asked me a question, and it really got me think so I thought I'd post it here:

Would you rather have a life with no financial troubles, the money to get what you want and essentially a 'perfect' life, or what you've been given?

I'll start off by saying that, no matter how much I may moan about people being better off than myself, I wouldn't want to change it. We all have our problems, but I like to think that a bit of a struggle in life makes for a more interesting outcome. Getting anything you like without working makes me think it's just a waste of a life. Plus, a disability to see everything you may want to see, or have what you may want to have can change your life; half of things I live for, and I love, may not have been discovered if I chose another path.

So, what would you rather?
Sun 12/10/03 at 16:43
Regular
"Light of the world"
What I have
Sun 12/10/03 at 18:55
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> Plus, a disability to see everything you may want to see, or have
> what you may want to have can change your life; half of things I live
> for, and I love, may not have been discovered if I chose another
> path.

That's more or less why I'd take the money. Only thinking of the things I could have discovered on another path.

Perhaps the years of sweating over money upto now, then getting the money, would be good to keep a bit of perspective.
But if it's starting from now, either continuing as I am, or having the money to be able to fulfil most of my dreams while not being any further from achieving the dreams that you can't buy...
Yeah I'd take the money.
Sun 12/10/03 at 19:18
Regular
"you've got a beard"
i'd take the no finacial worries. definately.
it'd solve all my problems.
i've worked F**KING hard since i left school to scrape by and it's an appealing option to be able to have a few years out, settle down and start a family as the main thing that scares me about having kids is not being able to provide for them (hell i KNOW i can bring them up right). i'd also use the time/money to work on starting a new business, as nice as it'd be to have no money problems, i enjoy the working environment :)
so my answer is... both.... kinda :)
Mon 13/10/03 at 08:39
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I can't believe anybody would even ask the question. No financial troubles, obviously.

Just because you got a bank account flush with credits doesn't mean you'll turn into an unambitious wastrel. It would allow you to focus on what you really want to do, instead of spending 1/3 of your life doing what someone else wants you to do.

Having loads of money to buy luxuries and accumulate material items means nothing to me, but having masses of money increases personal freedom. It's an inescapable fact.

If I offered you a briefcase packed with a million pounds, are you saying you'd turn it away so you can "struggle"? You're not being honest with yourself.
Mon 13/10/03 at 09:27
Regular
Maybe I phrased the question wrong; it's not simply a case of having more money and what you wish, I mean choosing a completely different life. Would anyone really want to sacrifice that?

Yes, everyone would like a bit more money if they could, but having to live in a completely different environment, most probably never discovering the things you love to do, would not be for me.
Mon 13/10/03 at 09:31
The choice boils down to:

Have all the money you like, but possibly never discover the things you dream of now

or

Have all the dreams you like, but no financial stability with which to realise any of them.

If I had to choose between ignorance and continual disappointment, I would take the former. Ignorance is bliss.
Mon 13/10/03 at 09:35
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Rickoss wrote:
> I mean choosing a completely different
> life. Would anyone really want to sacrifice that?

Well that's a different thing. Then my answer is no.
But there is a part of me [a small part,mind] which does desire to erase the doodlings of my past and start afresh with a blank canvas. And if that fresh start was me with a heavy briefcase crammed with crisp 50 pound notes, then I may be seriously tempted.
Mon 13/10/03 at 12:41
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
I'd choose to keep my life as is. That way, I have all my hopes and dreams intact, and it's not carved in tablets of stone that I will never have financial security.

Personally, I'd rather have a life rich in experience than a life rich in cash. But that's just me and my hopeless idealism...

Incidentally, I'd agree with IB about ignorance being bliss up to a point; if that were really true, Belldandy wouldn't be very visibly the unhappiest virgin in the land.
Mon 13/10/03 at 12:53
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Light wrote:
> Incidentally, I'd agree with IB about ignorance being bliss up to a
> point; if that were really true, Belldandy wouldn't be very visibly
> the unhappiest virgin in the land.

The obsession with Belldandy continues. Didn't you say that you were once a member of the young Conservatives or something? Does Belldandy remind you of how you used to be when you were younger?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.