GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Soul Caliber 2"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Soul Calibur 2'.
Fri 26/09/03 at 21:21
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Really loving this game at the moment. ;-) Spawn is the nuts ! Beat the game with a few characters and now I'm playing the weapons master mode. Unlocked Yoshimitsu and I'm hoping to get Sheung Mina as soon as possible as shes one of my favourite characters in the series. :-)

Anyone else got hold of this title and playing it to death like me ? ;-))
Sat 27/09/03 at 17:53
Regular
"accidental superher"
Cyclone wrote:
> Same here - it seems to play far better than Tekken ever has.

agreed! (i've had tekken 4 and tag)
i prefer sc2 by a long way.

i don't really care about the exclusive characters because i've mostly been using talim (she rox)
Sat 27/09/03 at 22:57
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Have the majority of the weapons and extra costumes and now the only character left to get is Lizardman. ;-)

As for Soul Caliber 2 and Tekken - the only real similarity is the developer responsible for them. Tekken is nowhere near as fluid as Soul Caliber. I think the XBox version of this game is superb with it having Spawn. His moves are excellent - love the levitation moves and throws. ;-)

Haven't really tried the new characters properly besdies Spawn so my favourites at the moment are..
Nightmare
Spawn
Seung Mina
Maxi

On with the game. ;-)
Sat 27/09/03 at 23:02
Regular
Slow Soul Calibur down and its Tekken. Its exactly the same premise only the fact that Soul Calibur is quicker and there are weapons.
Sat 27/09/03 at 23:23
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
And is more fluid and more responsive and has a more intuitive fighting system (in that a player doesn't need to find guides for combos like they would Tekken because everything is so clear that you tend to know what move you want to link in next).

Plus of course theres more of a strategy element to Soul Caliber then Tekken. Theres more room and freedom to move and circle opponents, whereas in Tekken, circling an opponent is more of a quick parry move as an opponent attacks). You have the ring outs which can turn fights along with the soul charge, guard crush and counter moves. Of course Tekken has a couple of these, but not all and its all of them together that makes Soul Caliber a much better title.
Plus the characters in Soul Caliber are a lot better than the ones in Tekken in my opinion.
Sat 27/09/03 at 23:40
Regular
But when you strip it down a little its a Tekken game with mods. Yet Tekken doesn't get a ridiculous amount of hype like Soul Calibur does.
Sun 28/09/03 at 00:01
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Soul Caliber is alot more fluid than Tekken.

It seams everyone disagrees with you Alistair. It must mean you're wrong. :)
Sun 28/09/03 at 00:16
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> only the fact that Soul Calibur is quicker and there are weapons.

When did I deny it?

Soul Calibur is the most over rated game I have ever played.

Its ridiculous.
Sun 28/09/03 at 13:33
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Well I may not have to wait until Saturday to get Soul Calibur 2 now, I was looking through my PS2 and GC games and there's 7 that I don't play anymore so I'll just trade them in for Soul Calibur. And if I get a good enough trade price I'll pick up Freedom Fighters too, supposing I have to put a little cash towards it as well.

:)
Sun 28/09/03 at 13:42
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Tekken doesn't get the hype Soul Caliber does because overall, it doesn't really warrant hype. When Tekken 2 was on the way, people raved about it. But over the last couple of years, Tekken games have become rush jobs and the series actually seems to be getting worse with every game. I played Tekken 4 and found it barely playable. Suddenly its become almost impossible to control the characters properly without covering your thumbs in blisters, the character line up is going downhill and its just becoming damn boring as a story to follow. Its like they've just thrown any old crud together now just to get a new Tekken game out.

So far Soul Caliber hasn't suffered from the same situation. The game is a dream to control - certainly shows that beat em up games can work well on an XBox controller. The story is decent, you have the weapons master mode to collect all the different weapons which have they're own attributes and there are loads of excellent characters in the game. I think Soul Caliber even manages to achieve something that just about every other beat em up can't as well - creating big powerful characters that are actually likeable and just as fun to use as the fast characters.

I mean lets face it, there aren't too many people fighting over the likes of Jack from Tekken, Zangief from Streetfighter and Bass from DOA3. But the likes of Nightmare and Asteroth in Soul Caliber have a real powerful presence about them and they look excellent.
So for me overall, Tekken is a dying series while Soul Caliber is very much in its prime.
Sun 28/09/03 at 13:43
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Nice one Lou - go get the game, its superb. ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.