GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Euro Vote."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/09/03 at 19:38
Regular
"Not a Jew"
This will have no effect anywhere, it is just a curious thread to see who wants the Euro to replace the pound. So nothing except "Yes" (For Euro) or "No"(Against Euro) in this thread please. I'll start.
Tue 30/09/03 at 17:12
"I love yo... lamp."
Light wrote:
> Notorious Biggles wrote:
> The Euro has not strengthened. The Dollar and the Pound have
> weakened.
> Over the next 2 years or so the American economy will go back to
> normal growth levels, strengthening the Dollar, and the Pound due to
> increased trade and business transactions. Whilst Europe will be
> little changed. Europe's problems will take decades to fully fix.
>
> Don't agree with the economics of what you say, but the last 2
> sentences strike a chord.

Well that's the view of most professional economists.
>
>
> Britain may have proportionally more MEPs. But Germany still has
> more. And they are the ones who can get French support for things.
> Franco-German power is getting stronger in Europe, and Britain can'
> afford to take a middle ground. We can't control Europe, but if we
> do
> submit fully to the EU and the Euro, they can control us.
>
> Erm...it's not the point for us to 'control' the EU; it IS the point
> for the EU to standarise things across Europe though. Sounds like
> you're opposed to it because you want the UK to remain entirely
> independent. Which is fine as a reason, just not one I much care
> about personally.

You're right, it's not about us controlling the EU, it's about having enough say in it to control our own destiny. And we are gradually losing that.
>
> Better to have our own currency and have good relations with the USA
> and OK relations with the rest of Europe than "better"
> relations with Europe and gradulally worsening relations with the
> USA.
>
> Why? Why should it be? Isn't it better to try and have good relations
> with both?

In an ideal world yes, it would be better to have good relations with both. But seeing as the USA and Central Europe are not on the best of terms at the moment that can't happen. And the USA are more valuable trading partners for us, they support more jobs and there is more British investment in the USA than in European countries.
Mon 29/09/03 at 14:19
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> The Euro has not strengthened. The Dollar and the Pound have weakened.
> Over the next 2 years or so the American economy will go back to
> normal growth levels, strengthening the Dollar, and the Pound due to
> increased trade and business transactions. Whilst Europe will be
> little changed. Europe's problems will take decades to fully fix.

Don't agree with the economics of what you say, but the last 2 sentences strike a chord.

>
> Britain may have proportionally more MEPs. But Germany still has
> more. And they are the ones who can get French support for things.
> Franco-German power is getting stronger in Europe, and Britain can'
> afford to take a middle ground. We can't control Europe, but if we do
> submit fully to the EU and the Euro, they can control us.

Erm...it's not the point for us to 'control' the EU; it IS the point for the EU to standarise things across Europe though. Sounds like you're opposed to it because you want the UK to remain entirely independent. Which is fine as a reason, just not one I much care about personally.
>
> USA.

Why? Why should it be? Isn't it better to try and have good relations with both?
Sat 27/09/03 at 18:17
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
Notorious Biggles wrote:

> USA.

Agreed.
Sat 27/09/03 at 16:19
"I love yo... lamp."
The Euro has not strengthened. The Dollar and the Pound have weakened. Over the next 2 years or so the American economy will go back to normal growth levels, strengthening the Dollar, and the Pound due to increased trade and business transactions. Whilst Europe will be little changed. Europe's problems will take decades to fully fix.

Britain may have proportionally more MEPs. But Germany still has more. And they are the ones who can get French support for things. Franco-German power is getting stronger in Europe, and Britain can' afford to take a middle ground. We can't control Europe, but if we do submit fully to the EU and the Euro, they can control us.

Better to have our own currency and have good relations with the USA and OK relations with the rest of Europe than "better" relations with Europe and gradulally worsening relations with the USA.
Sat 27/09/03 at 09:51
Regular
"It's been a while.."
No. I think I have already voted but oh well....
Sat 27/09/03 at 09:48
"possibly impossible"
So as the Euro goes from strength to strength and is becoming level with the pound, we sit here and watch our currency become worthless as the rest of Europe is large enough to deal with the US and we are forgotton.

The period of unsettlement is levelling out and the whole idea of a European Union is to bring every country up to the same level, help out those more in debt and also build on thriving countries. It is not run by people from Brussels, it is run by representatives from each country, and propotionally Britain has more representatives than most of the other countries.
Sun 21/09/03 at 16:31
Regular
"bWo > You"
NB did indeed put it best
Fri 19/09/03 at 23:13
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
What NB said is exactly my point of view.
Fri 19/09/03 at 22:52
Regular
"Not a Jew"
You didn't ruin it, I just meant not for anyone to post mindless drivel. But you backed up your opinion which was good.
Fri 19/09/03 at 22:40
"I love yo... lamp."
No.

Not because I want to keep bits of metal and paper with a likeness of the Queen on it, but because Britain is a different country to the rest of Europe. It has a different economy. One that unlike other "powerhouses" of Europe, namely Germany, isn't actually in recession.

With Germany being in recession, rates can't be changed for the sole purpose of getting its economy moving again. Because you have to consider France, Italy and Ireland etc when making that decision.

Consider this. You lower rates in Euro land to help Germany, you make it easier for a Spaniard to remortgage and get into more debt.

Fast forward a couple of years and the rates go up 2% because Germany is back on its feet. But poor mister Spaniard sees his interest payments in his mortgage go up in real terms by 100%.

So he struggles and files for bankruptcy. Of course there are 5 million Mr Spaniards out there. With all those bankruptcies it affects the spanish economy, pushing it in to recession, leading to lower rates again...

With Britain retaining the Sterling, economic policy can be tailored to the British economys' needs. With out worrying about what's happening in Rome.

Back in 1992 everyone thought it an embarassing fiasco when Britain was forced to pull out of the ERM because Britain was in recession. 11 years later however and it's Britain, not Euro land that is doing better.

A single currency is a nice idea for uniting people and countries, also making travel and trade easier. But it removes to any economic safeguards that we have. In short, it is a poor reality.

P.S. Sorry RoJ for ruining your thread, but I thought this worth mentioning.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.