GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Website hosting - info required ASAP please!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/09/03 at 13:38
"High polygon count"
Hi all, long time no post.

I'm after a cheap host for a website host and need recommendations/advice.

Basically, I've registered a domain under my eBay trading name 'Paranoimia' - WookieeMonster was taken on eBay by an American who hardly ever trades, so I had to use another.

I want a site *primarily* for e-mail purposes, so it must have its own mail server, i.e. outgoing mail must go through paranoimia.co.uk and not ntl's servers as it does on FastHosts.

I also want CGI/Perl access in case I ever want to make use of it, the ability to have subdomains and custom error pages, about 50 to 100MB of space, and for an annual fee of no more than £30.

I have WookieeMonster.com on PowWeb, but I don't want to pay that much for this new domain, as it's really only for storage and e-mail... so I've been looking for a UK provider.

Freeola is (probably) out of the question, because - unless they've changed it recently - I can't upload my files over my existing NTL broadband connection.

I signed up to FastHosts on the Starter package, only to discover that they don't allow custom error pages, so I'm cancelling under their 30-day money-back guarantee.

I've discovered 2 possibilities so far - Ideal Web Hosting whose starter package is around £20, and eUKhost on either their Copper (£22.99) or Bronze (£29.99) services.

Anyone ever used either of these? If so, what are they like? They seem to offer everything I want.

Or can you tell me of any comparable services that I haven't discovered yet?
Sun 14/09/03 at 13:26
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
But it isn't splattered with ads :-)

Plus I think I'd trust a company who actually make money to support my website more than someone who manages to survive with text links. I realised long ago that free web hosting is a waste of time, it's one of those things you really have to pay for, even if it's less than a tenner.
Sun 14/09/03 at 13:57
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
There is some logic behind this hosting.

You basically host your domain with them and include 3 links at the bottom of your index page, they can be super small...

When Google caches the page, it counts the links and gives the 3 pages that are linked to a higher pagerank. With the higher pagerank the pages will appear higher on search engines.

Even considering what I have to do with the links, it's far better than Freeola and any other paid for hosting. Freeola force you to have their error pages so that's effectivly an advert...

If I was to go with you, I'd be paying about £15 extra a month for bandwidth on top of that £78.42 for the package, although I could survive with the space from the advanced...
Sun 14/09/03 at 14:56
Regular
"everyone says it"
www.digital-crocus.com

That'll do you fine Wookie.
Sun 14/09/03 at 15:03
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
He's gone for Staghosting.
Tue 16/09/03 at 15:41
"High polygon count"
phi11ip wrote:
> He's gone for Staghosting.

I did, but then I changed my mind.

Nothing at all wrong with StagHosting, but there were a few personal issues/requirements/preferences that forced me to go with a paid host.

And that host was Netrillium.net, suggested earlier by Ms NY - so BIG thanks to her!

I have to say they are ABSOLUTELY ASTOUNDING - I can't believe what you get for the price on the P-100 scheme. I've been with a several hosts over the years, and they are by far the best I've encountered. I'm even considering moving my wookieemonster.com domain to them when the current PowWeb deal expires.
Thu 13/11/03 at 11:29
Regular
"..."
Turbonutter wrote:
>
> http://www.digital-crocus.com/

tell me more....
Thu 13/11/03 at 13:49
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> phi11ip wrote:
> He's gone for Staghosting.
>
> I did, but then I changed my mind.
>
> Nothing at all wrong with StagHosting, but there were a few personal
> issues/requirements/preferences that forced me to go with a paid
> host.
>
> And that host was Netrillium.net, suggested earlier by Ms NY - so BIG
> thanks to her!
>
> I have to say they are ABSOLUTELY ASTOUNDING - I can't believe what
> you get for the price on the P-100 scheme. I've been with a several
> hosts over the years, and they are by far the best I've encountered.
> I'm even considering moving my wookieemonster.com domain to them when
> the current PowWeb deal expires.

I'm now with UKhost4u.com, 1gb space and 10gb Bandwith a month plus loads and loads of other features for £20 a year, and they have good customer support !
Thu 13/11/03 at 18:41
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Darkus wrote:
> Turbonutter wrote:
>
> http://www.digital-crocus.com/
>
> tell me more....

Check the website, there's a detailed FAQ there and we usually answer any queries within 5 hours - most of them get answers within 10 minutes!
Thu 13/11/03 at 20:14
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
I too highly recomend Digital Crocus. Has to be one of the best hosts Ive used in agesm to the ponint that I hope to be using them soon to host a couple of jobs I have coming up.
Thu 13/11/03 at 20:21
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
On the drink again tonight Alan?

:-)

Thanks though!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.