GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Website hosting - info required ASAP please!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/09/03 at 13:38
"High polygon count"
Hi all, long time no post.

I'm after a cheap host for a website host and need recommendations/advice.

Basically, I've registered a domain under my eBay trading name 'Paranoimia' - WookieeMonster was taken on eBay by an American who hardly ever trades, so I had to use another.

I want a site *primarily* for e-mail purposes, so it must have its own mail server, i.e. outgoing mail must go through paranoimia.co.uk and not ntl's servers as it does on FastHosts.

I also want CGI/Perl access in case I ever want to make use of it, the ability to have subdomains and custom error pages, about 50 to 100MB of space, and for an annual fee of no more than £30.

I have WookieeMonster.com on PowWeb, but I don't want to pay that much for this new domain, as it's really only for storage and e-mail... so I've been looking for a UK provider.

Freeola is (probably) out of the question, because - unless they've changed it recently - I can't upload my files over my existing NTL broadband connection.

I signed up to FastHosts on the Starter package, only to discover that they don't allow custom error pages, so I'm cancelling under their 30-day money-back guarantee.

I've discovered 2 possibilities so far - Ideal Web Hosting whose starter package is around £20, and eUKhost on either their Copper (£22.99) or Bronze (£29.99) services.

Anyone ever used either of these? If so, what are they like? They seem to offer everything I want.

Or can you tell me of any comparable services that I haven't discovered yet?
Sat 13/09/03 at 13:38
"High polygon count"
Hi all, long time no post.

I'm after a cheap host for a website host and need recommendations/advice.

Basically, I've registered a domain under my eBay trading name 'Paranoimia' - WookieeMonster was taken on eBay by an American who hardly ever trades, so I had to use another.

I want a site *primarily* for e-mail purposes, so it must have its own mail server, i.e. outgoing mail must go through paranoimia.co.uk and not ntl's servers as it does on FastHosts.

I also want CGI/Perl access in case I ever want to make use of it, the ability to have subdomains and custom error pages, about 50 to 100MB of space, and for an annual fee of no more than £30.

I have WookieeMonster.com on PowWeb, but I don't want to pay that much for this new domain, as it's really only for storage and e-mail... so I've been looking for a UK provider.

Freeola is (probably) out of the question, because - unless they've changed it recently - I can't upload my files over my existing NTL broadband connection.

I signed up to FastHosts on the Starter package, only to discover that they don't allow custom error pages, so I'm cancelling under their 30-day money-back guarantee.

I've discovered 2 possibilities so far - Ideal Web Hosting whose starter package is around £20, and eUKhost on either their Copper (£22.99) or Bronze (£29.99) services.

Anyone ever used either of these? If so, what are they like? They seem to offer everything I want.

Or can you tell me of any comparable services that I haven't discovered yet?
Sat 13/09/03 at 13:48
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
http://www.bargainhost.co.uk/ have a look into them.
Sat 13/09/03 at 14:03
"High polygon count"
£49 for a year? Not what I'd call a bargain!

Compare it to http://eukhost.com/copper.php

I think these are the ones I'll end up trying unless I find any better deal. Got until about 7pm tonight to find one/decide!

Cheers for the input though.
Sat 13/09/03 at 14:10
Regular
"cachoo"
www.netrillium.net seems good and cheap. Not sure about the speed though. Probably be very slow by the time it reaches you!
But it's something like $16 for a month for 1GB, I think. Very cheap.
But that's dollars, depends if you want to use the dollars!
Sat 13/09/03 at 14:55
"High polygon count"
Netrillium is quite tempting - works out about £32 for a year on their most basic package, and they offer stacks of services too.

I'd really like a UK-based host for this one, but I'll certainly keep them in mind. Cheers!
Sat 13/09/03 at 15:34
Regular
"cachoo"
You're welcome! I understand what you mean about the whole UK based thing though. Shame there are hardly any cheap ones here though.
Sat 13/09/03 at 15:38
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
www.staghosting.com

You buy your domain from somewhere like 123-reg.co.uk, change the namservers, then me or phi11ip could set up the account for you.

It's totally free - all you need is a couple of text links on the index page. It has php, mysql and cgi. Also has mail, which can be accessed through webmail, I haven't tried outlook express.

100mb space and about 2 gig bandwidth to start off with. Although we increase this space (by a reasonable amount) if you go on to need it.

Can't think of anything else to tell you - although there's a community here:

http://www.staghosting.com/community
Sat 13/09/03 at 19:46
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
We (Digital Crocus) can do you everything you want at a reasonable price and we won't rip you off. Our basic package is £9.43 a year and sounds exactly like what you want.

Oh, and don't go thinking we're amateurs either :-P

http://www.digital-crocus.com/
Sun 14/09/03 at 00:55
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Turbonutters hosting looks the biz. Go for it.
Sun 14/09/03 at 12:20
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
But it isn't free.

:p

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.