GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freedom of Speech"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/10/06 at 19:13
Regular
Heh, two controversial threads about Muslim values by me in a couple of weeks ... think it's just a subject I find interesting, all religion and its effect on our way of life. Being non-religious I'm concerned that religious values are dictating our laws in a country that is supposed to enjoy 'freedom of speech'. I'm not picking at the Islamic faith ... but it's all over the media right now and some things I find hard to ignore ...

I feel the same about any group of people that tries to force others to live by it's values ... whoever that might be.

So here's the next controversial topic, shown tonight on C4 ...

The Dispatches Debate:
Muslims and Free Speech

Channel 4 Monday 23 October 2006, 8pm

Jon Snow chairs a special Dispatches debate on whether Muslims are threatening freedom of speech in the UK. Recent events such as the protests over remarks made by the Pope about the nature of Islam; to demonstrations over the publication of Danish cartoons depicting the prophet Mohammed; to the censorship of works of art depicting holy scriptures have all raised an urgent question: whether the objections made by Muslims are legitimate reasons to prevent publication or display? Jon Snow will question a series of guests who have been directly involved in these controversies.

Anyone any views on this they wish to share?
Mon 23/10/06 at 19:13
Regular
Heh, two controversial threads about Muslim values by me in a couple of weeks ... think it's just a subject I find interesting, all religion and its effect on our way of life. Being non-religious I'm concerned that religious values are dictating our laws in a country that is supposed to enjoy 'freedom of speech'. I'm not picking at the Islamic faith ... but it's all over the media right now and some things I find hard to ignore ...

I feel the same about any group of people that tries to force others to live by it's values ... whoever that might be.

So here's the next controversial topic, shown tonight on C4 ...

The Dispatches Debate:
Muslims and Free Speech

Channel 4 Monday 23 October 2006, 8pm

Jon Snow chairs a special Dispatches debate on whether Muslims are threatening freedom of speech in the UK. Recent events such as the protests over remarks made by the Pope about the nature of Islam; to demonstrations over the publication of Danish cartoons depicting the prophet Mohammed; to the censorship of works of art depicting holy scriptures have all raised an urgent question: whether the objections made by Muslims are legitimate reasons to prevent publication or display? Jon Snow will question a series of guests who have been directly involved in these controversies.

Anyone any views on this they wish to share?
Mon 23/10/06 at 19:32
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
My post is on general freedoms we now have to give up/are disappearing rapidly. I think we are becoming second to the demands of these people. I'm not even sure we are allowed to talk about this without the thought police coming to take us away.

I beleive the rights of white british christians are now considered only if it doesn't affect the rights of any other ethnic group.

The veil issue is simple - I do not believe the veil should be worn in public or in the work place, simply because it obscures identity (working in GAME you need to see pictures of the face on the ID card - how can tyou see the face if it is covered by a veil?), it is really difficult to understand somebody if you can't see their mouths forming the words and also it's a bit anti-social.

I bring the veil topic as an example in the freedoms because it is perfectly ok for them to where a veil, yet if a teenager wears a hoody up and covers their face with a scarf whilst in public, the police are on them like a shot. I don't agree with a teenager doing this - even if he is white british/any other race and religion. So if he is considered "anti-social" and a threat, why aren't the people who choose to wear the veil? And if everybody wore the veil, who would be able to tell everyone apart.

I believe freedom of speech and the freedom of just living is rapidly running away and I can see a time not too far away from now (perhaps in the next 10-15 years) where the BNP and NF get into power. It would be a terrible thing, but I can already see them playing on our insecurities.

Something needs to be done soon and be done fairly./ I have no problem with other cultures in Britain, I just want them to follow our law system (which is based on Christinaity) just like if we visited a Muslim/Hindu/Sikh etc country, we'd have to obey their base law system (based on their religion).

I've waffled a bit, but there you go. My points on freedoms put over.
Mon 23/10/06 at 19:39
Regular
Personally I don't think ANY laws should be based on ANY religion. As far as I'm concerned they are separate things entirely ... Religion is a lifestyle choice ... Law is something that came into being on the agreement of many individuals in power, and I don't want it to be influenced by religious ideals ...

In many countries around the world .. religion comes before science, it comes before maths, it comes before anything at all ... I think language would suffer also but language is integral to learning, and you can't learn religion without it.

I couldn't live in a place like that, in many way I'm so glad that we live in civilised society where we can live how we want, say what we want and follow any belief system we want.

But I think that's slowly slipping away ... that guy got arrested in parliament for heckling the prime minister ... politicians are afraid to say what they really think in case they are asked to resign .. it's not just a muslim problem .. I think the whole world has got so much more paranoid since the 'War on terror' began. What a crock that is ... what the hell is a war on terror? Absolute tosh.
Mon 23/10/06 at 19:46
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Don't get me wrong, I don't think laws should be based on religion, but the harsh fact of life is that they are. We know the laws of this country and I don't really think they should be changed. However, I object to people moving to our country demanding the law be changed to accomodate their religion.

Basic Christian beliefs (I'm atheist) are good to hold. I hold the values without the God.
Mon 23/10/06 at 19:47
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Freedom of speech is the most important thing. People should be allowed to voice their beliefs and opinions no matter what they are. Having said that, it's also our duty to respect others and not use Freedom of speech to incite hatred/conflict.
Mon 23/10/06 at 19:49
Regular
Aye fair enough ...

I'm just as frightened of these evangelist christian lunatics as I am radical muslims ...

You know the type ... the ones that think if you play Grand Theft Auto you're Satan himself and if you m@sturbate you're worse than Jack the Ripper ...

And I love the double standards ... heh .. you've got to :)

'God has endless love and endless forgiveness ... but if you don't pledge your soul to him and love him, may you burn for all eternity ...'
Mon 23/10/06 at 19:52
Regular
Actually I can feel it winding me up already ... I'm going to watch fifth gear instead ... :P
Mon 23/10/06 at 20:24
Regular
I think that Muslims should have to abide by rules set down in the UK. If they want to wear veils why cant they go to Muslim Countries? I think society should not tolerate this because its not a Muslim country but they keep demanding laws especially for them. Women who wear veils remind me of post boxes.
Mon 23/10/06 at 21:23
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Seifer wrote:
> I think that Muslims should have to abide by rules set down in
> the UK. If they want to wear veils why cant they go to Muslim
> Countries?

But isn't this country's most cherished and important ethical rule the Freedom of Expression?
Mon 23/10/06 at 21:34
Regular
Sibelius wrote:
> But isn't this country's most cherished and important ethical
> rule the Freedom of Expression?

True, but this takes it to the limits though, in France if they dont accept the French way of life they can leave.

When did you last see a Church in a Muslim country?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.