GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freedom of Speech"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/10/06 at 19:13
Regular
Heh, two controversial threads about Muslim values by me in a couple of weeks ... think it's just a subject I find interesting, all religion and its effect on our way of life. Being non-religious I'm concerned that religious values are dictating our laws in a country that is supposed to enjoy 'freedom of speech'. I'm not picking at the Islamic faith ... but it's all over the media right now and some things I find hard to ignore ...

I feel the same about any group of people that tries to force others to live by it's values ... whoever that might be.

So here's the next controversial topic, shown tonight on C4 ...

The Dispatches Debate:
Muslims and Free Speech

Channel 4 Monday 23 October 2006, 8pm

Jon Snow chairs a special Dispatches debate on whether Muslims are threatening freedom of speech in the UK. Recent events such as the protests over remarks made by the Pope about the nature of Islam; to demonstrations over the publication of Danish cartoons depicting the prophet Mohammed; to the censorship of works of art depicting holy scriptures have all raised an urgent question: whether the objections made by Muslims are legitimate reasons to prevent publication or display? Jon Snow will question a series of guests who have been directly involved in these controversies.

Anyone any views on this they wish to share?
Sat 11/11/06 at 19:14
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
He's basically implying Nick Griffin is guilty.
Fri 10/11/06 at 23:35
Regular
How can Gordon Brown seriously tighten the law anymore. More and more we are divided and you can now see this by the BNP seats.
Fri 10/11/06 at 16:29
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Nick Griffin Cleared

I don't know what else was said by these 2 but the 2 comments in the text could be argued to be stirring up racial hatred or on the other hand not.

I think the reason they were cleared was because they weren't encouraging people to hate other races just giving their opinion however right or wrong you may feel it to be and a guilty conviction would have been seen as their right to the freedom of speech being taken away.

I think it's the right decision althought I don't agree with their comments as It's not as if they were walking down the street spouting their opinion it was at an organised event that people wanted to go to.

If they had been doing it in public I would have wanted a guilty verdict and I think that would have been the outcome.
Sun 29/10/06 at 21:06
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
String theory... AS level... you're slightly ahead, aren't you? :P
Sun 29/10/06 at 19:44
Regular
"Mooching around"
I'm trying to read up on PhD astrophysics, doesn't look too bad.

To be honest, it's the only subject where I can simply read anything on it, and just absorb, and understand it all.
I'm to give a big speech on String Theory to my AS class in 5 weeks, so I'm getting nervous about that...
Sat 28/10/06 at 21:57
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Good luck with them... I've got a history exam in December (I think), with the rest coming along in the summer, hopefully over as early as possible!
Sat 28/10/06 at 21:54
Regular
"I may return"
I take my exams on the 7 of nov, and then two other days that I've forgotten.
Sat 28/10/06 at 21:52
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Resits are fine... all but 3 people (One of whom was myself, yay!) in my tutor group did re-sits of at least one AS-Level. Taking GCSEs early without that option is a bad choice though, I know people who were sadly on the wrong end of that.
Sat 28/10/06 at 21:48
Regular
"I may return"
I'm aiming for a B, but that's because I'm allowed to resit in year 11.
Sat 28/10/06 at 21:47
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I wasn't so good at the maths... lowest GCSE grade I got (B), along with Dual Science (BB). 1 A*, 6 A, 3 B... wasn't too bad!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.