GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Good RPG on Gamecube!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/06/05 at 14:03
Regular
"Good RPG on Gamecub"
Hey everyone!!!

Need a little help. Basically im looking for a good RPG on the gamecube to buy. I kinda want one thats like the final fantasy series? I have played the Gamecube version of final fantasy but its really not my style and nothing like the PS2 versions!!

can anyone reccomend a good RPG to me?? PPEEERRRRLLLEEEEAAASSSSEEEEEE!!!!
Tue 14/06/05 at 15:30
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Hmm, interesting.

Just because I saw screenshots and brought back bad memories of LK2... But may look into getting it off Ebay or something.
Tue 14/06/05 at 15:25
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Crap, forgot about Paper Mario.

Yeh Baten Kaitos is very good, much better than Lost Kingdoms anyway. Takes a while to get into but it has about 40-50 hours play time so it ain't short.
Tue 14/06/05 at 15:18
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Is BK really that good? I'm interested in some more RPGs after playing through Skies two or three times and now I've nearly finished Paper Mario...

But I got Lost Kingdoms II a while back and it was okay, but took ages to get 'good' (and even then wasn't brilliant), but just as it got 'good'... It had ended. Felt a bit cheated. Like I'd just beaten the first 'big' boss like thing and then it was the end of the game... Kinda put me off this card battle thing. So I'm thinking ToS may be a better bet, but then lots of people seem to moan about the battling in that too...

Meh, may try and pick them both up if I can get them cheap. Just wanted to know what people thought, and this thread seems relevant. Also want to get hold of some kind if GBA or SP or something at some point. The Advance seems to have quite a few good RPGs.
Tue 14/06/05 at 15:01
Regular
"Shizzel happens"
basically mate, if it was me, i would buy a freeloader for £15-20 and get a NTSC version of SoA. its better than buying a £40+ second hand PAL version imo. then u can play one of the best RPG's ever! (why did the DC die when it had games like this?) if anything SoA will only increase in price over time, whereas ToS and BK will get cheaper. by the time you've completed SoA, and then if you still hungry for RPGs, u could probably find either ToS or BK for around £15. tbh whichever one u get u can't go wrong =)
Tue 14/06/05 at 14:47
Regular
"thursdayton!"
The battle system could be a little less convaluted (sp?) but you get used to it. Could have done with more puzzles for my liking. Overall the story is good, though it takes until the second disc (20 hours in) to really kick off when there's a couple of neat twists.

Still, Skies and Tales will keep you busy for a *long* time, seriously. Skies alone took me about 65 hours to fully complete, although I went and got absolutely everything.
Tue 14/06/05 at 14:45
Regular
"Shizzel happens"
Tphi wrote:
> Skies of Arcadia is the best, though turn based. Alot of fun - all
> pirates and airships. And it has Fina.
>
> Tales of Symphonia is very good too, especially if you like good
> characterisation. It's anime-style graphics are nicely done too.
>
> Baten Kaitos is up there with Tales and is a card-based battling RPG,
> nice graphics although the pre-rendered backgrounds make me long for
> "proper" 3D.
>
> Then you have Lost Kingdoms etc. etc.

i hate to admit it but i actually agree with tphi :P SoA --> ToS --> BK.
although all r good games in their own right. when comparing it seems odd that SoA comes out on top, its somehow been engraved into my skull and i don't think memories of it will ever leave me. i like ToS cause im a big 2D beatem up fan, and so tales' battle system suited me just fine, eventhough many complain about the storyline. BK is good too, and probably the closest of the 3 to a typical FF game. lost kingdoms is actually very enjoyble and costs about a fiver.
theres always a catch though, PAL versions of SoA r RARE. makes me so lucky that i bought a copy when it first came out =D
Tue 14/06/05 at 14:25
Regular
"Good RPG on Gamecub"
Oh well ... well ive just ordered Arcadia and Tales of Sym so they should keep me occupied. What do you make of Baten??
Tue 14/06/05 at 14:23
Regular
"the burning sky"
Bubs1980 wrote:
> Yeah i agree, really nice to look at, but the game was crap!! I think
> i last about an hour and then it had to go back ... so they wont be
> releasing a proper final fantasy game out on the GC or the new Rev??
> Bummer!

Not since Sony own the license. Tis why we only get these 'spinoff' games and none of the FFVII brilliance...
Tue 14/06/05 at 14:22
Regular
"Good RPG on Gamecub"
Yeah i agree, really nice to look at, but the game was crap!! I think i last about an hour and then it had to go back ... so they wont be releasing a proper final fantasy game out on the GC or the new Rev?? Bummer!
Tue 14/06/05 at 14:20
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Crystal Chronicles was total bullshat. I was very dissapointed in it after paying full price and expecting something epic. The graphics were beyootiful mind, but beyond that it was terrible in every way.

It's just a shame the Revolution is getting another one, instead of a "proper" Final Fantasy game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.