GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fundamentalism yet again proves stupid"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/09/03 at 11:56
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3077040.stm

A Floridian Pro-Lifer is executed for murdering a doctor that worked in an abortion clinic.
And to borrow from Bill Hicks:
"Pro-Lifers murdering people....HAHAHAHA...it's irony on a base level isn't it? Pro-Lifers. Murdering..."

Someone explain the logic behind this retarded, demented dark-ages attitude that says it's ok to murder someone to prevent an abortion.
Oh, oh...except it doesn't stop that abortion at all, another doctor carries it out.

Who the hell are these glazed-eyed morons to dictacte what someone else should do according to their take on a religion?
Murdering someone in "god's name".
Retarded. And gives well-balanced religious people a bad name.
Explain how some empty-headed hatemonger psycho fundamentalist murdering a doctor is any different from empty-headed hatemonger psycho fundamentalists slamming planes into buildings, or bombing UN headquarters?

It's using fear and the threat of death to impose your views upon others.
Yet George W Bush supports pro-lifers, so does that make him an accessory to those that support Al-Queda and currently languish in Camp X-Ray?

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a rant against religion.
This is a rant against morons that use it as an excuse to murder. They should all be tied up and thrown into the sun if they are unwilling to mind their business and think they have the right to murder people.
Tue 09/09/03 at 15:33
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
maddmun wrote:
> Well, I may believe in animal rights strongly, but, pro-lifers are
> idiots.
> They can't be more than 6 weeks old is it? So, that way, they won't
> have a brain yet, or nerves, so they won't fell the pain.

Quick factoid: An unborn foetus has a developed nervous system at (I think) the second trimester (approx 18 weeks). Due to it being freshly formed, they can actually feel pain on a far more intense scale than we can.

I am pro-choice and all, but I do believe there should be limits. Abortion on demand for the 1st trimester, and abortion on medical grounds determined by the individuals medical history (as opposed to statistical liklihood of harm to the mother).
Sun 07/09/03 at 00:04
Regular
Well, I may believe in animal rights strongly, but, pro-lifers are idiots.
They can't be more than 6 weeks old is it? So, that way, they won't have a brain yet, or nerves, so they won't fell the pain.

However, what about them? They use paper, several trees were killed to make that paper. What makes an unborn foetus, WHICH CAN'T actually FELL PAIN AS IT ISN'T ACTUALLY ALIVE YET, more important than a tree which could provide food and homes for several hundred small animals?

That one tree that the paper was made from could have caused the death of 100 insects. They're alive too. Why are they less important than A FIGURE WHICH ISN'T EVEN ALIVE?
Fri 05/09/03 at 23:56
Regular
Fundamentalists...

Can quote everyline written about their chosen religion and STILL miss the point!

Christian fundamentalists should be especially ashamed because they're just like the pharisees and scribes that Jesus always got annoyed with.
Jesus says love one another and forgive one another, and 1000 years later the church (along with it's Spannish Inquisition) is torturing and murdering in his name. Fundamentalism leads to corruption. FACT.
Even the religion behind the Taliban was supposed to have started with good intentions...

About 2 years ago, shortly after September 11th and during Bush's War Against Terrorism "crusade", some guy in the street gave me a leaflet about the Taliban, trying to make out that they weren't so bad...

"The Taliban have single handedly cut out all drug trade in Afghanistan. Now how many other governments have managed that?"

Well, if you kill and torture suspects without a trial or any sort of proof, you are going to scare people out of that thing...
Drugs aren't exactly the best thing for a society, but it's sick that a religious cult would put abolishing them before human rights!

And they think it makes them holy...
Fri 05/09/03 at 10:00
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I saw this guy on the news yesterday. What a wacko. And that's not just an off-the-cuff remark, I honestly thought he was insane.

"This doctor is killing unborn babies, so I shall murder him because an unborn life has more value than a doctor's life."

Excuse me? I know you wear the dog collar and all that, but who the hell are you to place values on people's lives? The sad thing is, he was smiling about it, confident he did the right thing and would ascend to heaven and be placed by God's right hand. For killing a doctor.

A psycho, and I'm glad he's getting the injection.
Thu 04/09/03 at 21:24
Regular
"Under the Wall"
This kind of thing certainly makes it harder to trust the average stranger in the street.
The idea was that by respecting and helping your fellow man he wouldn't have cause to.. hurt you, as you wouldn't be hurting him.

Then when people crop up who'll kill anyone who disagrees with one of their particular viewpoints, well we don't really trust the average man in the street any more, suddenly what we've been doing isn't enough to stop him slamming a bullet into your face.

Nevertheless, we still have a choice: condemn these people off hand ('people like that should be shot') or try to better understand why they take their particular actions.

And ultimately it has to come down to one thing: Their objective seems more important to them than a human life.

So the pro-lifer sees a doctor, who they deem responsible for murdering many unborn children, and kills him.

What did we say before about that pro-lifer? 'People like that should be shot'.
Exactly the same reasoning. If we mean it, we'd kill them because of their willingness to kill.

But let's take it a bit further:
Somebody's killing for another reason.. say, they're a religious nut, who've construed a religious text telling them to kill.. tories.

So we take the line:
We should kill them because they're killing tories.

Ie, we kill them because they're doing something we deem totally unacceptable by our moral code.

While they reason:
I kill tories because they're doing something totally unacceptable by my moral code (voting tory and contradicting the killer's interpretation of the religious text).

So, we chose to place ultimate condemnation on killers, they on tories.

What is there to say that our moral code is 'better' than theirs ? What if right and wrong is purely subjective, dependant only on an individual's chosen morals, devoid of any greater concept of right and wrong ?

Does the comparison between us and the pro-lifer still hold true for us and the religious nut ?
Thu 04/09/03 at 20:09
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
cf: humour.
Thu 04/09/03 at 18:05
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Blank wrote:
> But the doctor was older than the babies he aborted...it's good value
> for money.

WTF are you on about now ?
Thu 04/09/03 at 17:37
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
But the doctor was older than the babies he aborted...it's good value for money.
Thu 04/09/03 at 13:46
Regular
"relocated"
Goatboy wrote:
> And to borrow from Bill Hicks:
> "Pro-Lifers murdering people....HAHAHAHA...it's irony on a base
> level isn't it? Pro-Lifers. Murdering..."

Funnily enough I listened to two Bill Hicks albums last night, and this was on one of them.

"If you're so pro-life, do me a favour - don't lock arms and block medical clinics. If you're so pro-life, lock arms and block cemeteries."

And then he did the bit about Billy Ray Cyrus: "Every woman in this room would damn near break her pelvis opening her legs to take his cracker seed into her womb."
Thu 04/09/03 at 12:20
"I love yo... lamp."
I don't agree with abortion, but murdering someone has no effect in forwarding your beliefs to others. As you said in the title Goatboy, fundamentalism is stupid.

The problem with fundamentalism is that it is to basic. It doesn't take account of the real world, and frequently it is based on a twisting of the words of a holy book, be it the bible or koran. Taken out of context it is possible to make them say anything.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.