GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help save the world."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/08/03 at 03:34
"I love yo... lamp."
You see this is an appeal for you to join www.find-a-drug.co.uk You might have heard about SETI@home, you know the thing where a program runs in the background using your unused processing power to scan data from a satellite dish.

Well FAD is similar in operation, except that instead of looking for aliens it looks for molecules and proteins that can be targeted for further research and stuff in finding a cure for cancer.

I have been running distributed computing projects for over a year now.
It doesn't require much effort, you download a small program and a work unit (WU). Then the program runs in the background just processing. When it finishes that WU it moves on to the next in the queue of 2 or 3 that you download every so often from the net. When it is finished it gets sent back to FAD.

The program doesn't cause slowdown, it only uses unused power, as whenever you do anything else like type a letter it lets you do that and then starts processing again. After all other than in video editing or really high powered games you only ever use an average of 10% or so of your computers capacity. So why don't you donate it to a good cause?

FAD has several ongoing projects. Currently these are cancer, HIV, malaria, multiple sclerosis, SARS and bio terrorism antidotes.

If you do decide to join, I have now created a Special Reserve team. The team number for entering on the setup screen is 2072. So come on join up. So far there is 13 of us in the team. Out of 147 teams, Special Reserve is ranked 54. There is even a linux version now.

One day our efforts could make a difference. Imagine the lives that could be saved. In Britain, 1 in 3 people get cancer. Over a million people a year die in developing countries from Malaria, 3 times as many as AIDS kills. Even so, HIV is at epidemic levels and kills 100,000s a year all around the world. 40 million people in Africa have HIV, and in time it will kill them all.

This project doesn't require anything much of you, all you have to do run the program in the background. You can help to make a difference. It all builds up, just from lots of people running this. So far nearly 4,000 years worth of computer time has been spent scanning 27.62 billion moleculules.

There have been successes in finding growth inhibitors on several occasions in several areas. So come on, join us and help save the world.
Page:
Fri 05/11/04 at 19:19
Regular
There must be something seriously wrong with the setup if it gets that kind of rating though.

So you helped create the competition Biggles. It looked like a new team, tut tut. Turning your back on SR.

If you overclock doesnt that mean you run the risk of missing a lot of vital hits which is pretty much the whole point of FAD isn't it?
Fri 05/11/04 at 18:38
"I love yo... lamp."
bRAINdEAD wrote:
> Thanks, I was hoping you might be down for a few weeks more so I can
> catch up with you. =) But it looks like we need more Gflops if we're
> going to create some distance between Bodensee-Team and Ars Technica
> Team Ha. Still not enough to get #51

Small confession to make. I'm an Ars Technica reader and I was the founder, and briefly team captain, of Team Hard Cider. I'm not now though, and I didn't actually turn any of my machines over to them. But they don't need to know that.

I got a scalpel and some conductive paint today... volt modding a Duron at some point to give it a right good overclock. Should give me another slight boost.

Well GP, not sure what your problem is exactly. I had a similar issue at one point. What was happening was that FAD would take a while to load when I started the computer and the job queue part would load, find that FAD hadn't, then try and load it. Except it then meant it was trying to run two instances of FAD. You could delete think.lgo from the startup folder and replace it with shortcuts to think.exe, tray.exe and server.exe. That should solve that problem, I think.

That is a mighty low CPU rating Flock. Lowest I ever had was 23 on a 300 MHz Pentium 2. Just make sure you run Proteome jobs. Click receive on the job queue window to pick them specifically. HIV ones will last an age y'see.
Fri 05/11/04 at 14:36
Regular
That can't be right. A prety slow computer gets a CPU rating of about 50. Do you know what kind of processor you're using? I'd imagine 1 job would take you atleast a few weeks with a CPU rating of 4. That must be one hell of a slow computer.
Fri 05/11/04 at 14:11
Regular
"Monochromatic"
bRAINdEAD wrote:
> Also on the job info little window, it gives you a CPU rating. What
> does it say on your one?

Was 6, now 4
Fri 05/11/04 at 12:32
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Hmm. FAD only runs on Windows or Linux, so I don't see why there
> would be anything to do with DOS there. Make a note of it next time
> and I might be able to tell you how to stop it.

Okay, I've been trying to make a mental note of it all when it starts up. Here we go:

Computer starts up, MSDOS prompt message comes up, says that a programme needs to run in MSDOS mode and it will close all the programmes to continue. I click Cancel and a THINK error message appears saying something like a copy is already running, kill the other one first. I click on Exit and then a total of 4 error messages comes up saying Cache Addition Failed. I click continue and after all that, that's it. It's all over before everything has started up though. My computer is slow at starting up.
Fri 05/11/04 at 11:43
Regular
Is the icon in the systems tray in the bottom right? Right click that click that and select 'Job Info' if the seconds are still ticking away under the percentage then it's still working. Sometimes with jobs your computer has a tough time, maybe there are lots of hits or something so the percentage goes up very slowly. Make a note of it's current percentage and check it again later to see if it's gone up. If you think you have a slow computer try running a quicker job like Proteome. Right click the icon select 'Queue' right click the jobs after the one you're running either 'hold' or 'remove' them and then click receive and download 10 or more jobs of 1bmm. They can go quicker if you have a slow machine.

If there is no icon in the systems tray then maybe it upgraded itself and stopped running, try running it again from Start> Programs. If it says that it's already running it. Go through Start > Program then Control Panel and click Save. There are problems with the icon tray not appearing sometimes, it's a bug that I wish they would fix because it causes some problems for people, but it's still running.

Also on the job info little window, it gives you a CPU rating. What does it say on your one?
Fri 05/11/04 at 11:33
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Don't know whether it's just me but it seems to have stopped on mine, no progress in half an hour :s
Fri 05/11/04 at 11:28
Regular
Would anyone else like to join, download the program (takes a few seconds)and let your computer do the work. Won't make it slower or anything, it will just use the power of your computer to try and crunch numbers to find ways to help fight diseases like cancer and HIV and many others. They're a non-profit organisation (soon to be a charity I think) and they go through all the work your computer does in the lab. You can feel good taking part in this just as you would by donating money to these kind of charities, even if half your money will be spent trying to get more people to give them money. So far 15 people from Special Reserve are running it but there are many 1000s also running the program around the world.

The jobs take a protein and see if it interacts with molecules. There are so many molecules you only deal with up to 10,000 in each job. Each molecule that interacts with the protein is considered a 'hit' the more hits the better but unfortunately doesnt give you more points. So your computers job is to do this and try and find many hits. Then when it's done it sends the job back to them and they check out all the hits your computer finds. All while you're surfing the net/chatting on MSN/playing PC games, etc. Each job is very important even if it does take a long time for your computer to do it. Someone has to do it anyway. Go team Special Reserve :P
Fri 05/11/04 at 10:50
Regular
"Milky Milky"
Got it running :)
Fri 05/11/04 at 10:46
Regular
Thanks, I was hoping you might be down for a few weeks more so I can catch up with you. =) But it looks like we need more Gflops if we're going to create some distance between Bodensee-Team and Ars Technica Team Ha. Still not enough to get #51

Doing well running 5 jobs on 4 PCs, maintained an average of 3 jobs done every update. Would like to get upto 400,000Glfops a week. My 2 jobs are running at their highest I've ever seen - 192 (96 x2) compared to 1 job averaging 140. It's usually around 87 (x2). I wonder if the additional 9 each will increase the speed and points by much.

15 members running, very nice, but still need more. Maybe an update on the original message since 6 months ago (position #52 now), links direct to download page. Maybe an FAQ. Too many people downloading and feeling clueless or having problems. Took me awhile to figure out. A link to the stats page would be nice too.

Current team stats page [URL]http://stats.find-a-drug.net/stats1.php?Team=66&Period=1&Order=GFlops[/URL]

Download program (Windows) [URL]http://www.find-a-drug.co.uk/fadv125c.exe[/URL] [right click & save]
Download program (Linux) [URL]http://www.find-a-drug.co.uk/fadv125c.tgz[/URL] [right click & save]

To join the team go right click on the icon in the systems tray (if it's there) scroll to 'setup' click on the Tab 'General' at the very bottom enter '2072' as the team number. The number of jobs you should be running is 'Auto' usually 1 but if you have a P4 or whatever, it should automatically do 2. If you don't want to see the graphics (which offers nothing and just wastes power I believe) you can select it to Hidden.

The Projects tab, tick here the jobs you want to do. Not all of them are running, only HIV, Cancer and Proteome at the moment. I'm sure Biggles will mention when new ones are running. Cancer and HIV jobs can take quite awhile so you might want to run Proteome jobs instead some can finish in a few hours or in less than 1. To choose what jobs your computer runs right click on the icon, select 'Queue' click 'Recieve' then select the number of jobs you want to download and from which project. 1bmm is Proteome. 1hyv is HIV and the two 1t73 and 1t74 are cancer jobs. You don't have to download jobs it will do it automatically but sometimes you might want a chance if the only job you've been having is HIV for the last week.

Any more Qs might be answered on these pages in their FAQ [URL]http://www.find-a-drug.org/faq.html[/URL]

Just a little info, it'll disappear to the next page soon.

EDIT: Was worried just then, all 5 jobs seem to be going very slow and I thought I wasnt going to get any done by the Noon update let alone my expected 3, then I noticed that about 4 jobs finished around 7-8am with 30,000Gflops, pretty good. Should end up with 5 more done by 6pm at this rate. Bring on 2 Million Molecules certificate.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.