GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Uefa best player awards....Is somebody blind at uefa?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/08/03 at 22:05
Regular
Ruud van Nistelrooy was named as the best striker in Europe by UEFA who also handed a historic fair play award to Celtic fans.

The Manchester United frontman was honoured at UEFA's European Football Awards in Monte Carlo after he finished top scorer in last season's Champions League with 12 goals.
Juventus' Gianluigi Buffon was named the best goalkeeper and the overall most valuable player, and Pavel Nedved from the same club picked up the award for the best midfielder.

Real Madrid's Brazilian full-back Roberto Carlos was named best defender, while AC Milan skipper Paolo Maldini was given the UEFA president's award in recognition of his 17-year career and for captaining the winning side last season - the first time the award has gone to a current player.

(football365.com)

Fairplay, nedved was easily the best midfielder last season, And Buffon and Van nistelrooy are fair enough to as they ae both matters of opinion, but which upper muppet gave roberto carlos the best defender award. I can (and if challenged will) name 3-5 better defenders from all the major leagues, the man is a really poor defender, he is undeniably skillful but doesn't defend that well and his contribution upfield is still highly over rated by people still dazzled by the free kick five yeas ago. It maybe the "real have to have an award" award, but this is just stupid canavaro, thuram, nesta were all in squads that reached the semi's and all played an outstanding part in there teams success, I'm getting pretty bored with carlos getting top defender awards when he is just skillful and doesn't do much, how he got in the world cup dream team is beyond me as his world cup was pretty awful to, he had one free kick and did nothing else. stupid.
Fri 29/08/03 at 15:41
Regular
"The Red Shift"
i very much doubt those stats.
Fri 29/08/03 at 15:39
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Sky Sports News did a comparison of Carlos and Beckham during the whole move to Real Madrid thing and they both had a conversion rate of 6%.
Now seeing as Carlos usually takes his free kicks from 30+ yards and Beckham much closer then Carlos is better even though 6% is still pretty rubbish.

If there's an award for most over-rated free kick taker give it to Beckham, or actually if there's an award for most over-rated player period then give it Beckham.
Fri 29/08/03 at 15:34
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
Im actually quite amazed that he has scored more than one freekick... he must be the most over-rated, over-hyped set piece taker of all time... that should have been his award by UEFA :)
Fri 29/08/03 at 14:15
"I love yo... lamp."
Carlos scored that wonder free kick about five years ago. He never scored another one until about 2 years ago. 3 years he went without scoring one I think it was.
Fri 29/08/03 at 13:44
Regular
"The Red Shift"
lol aswell!
Fri 29/08/03 at 10:48
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Indeed.
Fri 29/08/03 at 10:12
lol!
Fri 29/08/03 at 09:48
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
Ive only ever seen him take a 70 yard run up and welly them with about as much accuracy as a SMART bomb, needless to say they can end up just about anywhere.

I would love to have 'player cam' when Carlos hits one of his freekicks... im prepared to bet good money on him saying 'Have it !!' as he fires in another unguided missile, followed by 2 sentences of unpronouncable Portugese swear words.
Fri 29/08/03 at 08:24
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
He doesen't always score- it's just the fact he often makes good assists out of them.
Fri 29/08/03 at 03:19
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
I'd love to see some stats on Roberto Carlos freekicks actually hitting the back of the net, im guessing its somewhere around 0.2% thats assuming he scored just 1 wonder freekick (which he probably mis hit judging by his usual efforts) and missing the target with the other 499 freekicks, maybe he has somehow fluked a couple more but i cant recall them.

Im not doing him an injustice at all... he is just plain crap at set pieces despite EVERY commentator getting close to orgasm every time Carlos lines up the ball from 45 yards... we all know where its going, the goalkeeper knows where its going (but occasionally dives to make Carlos look less of a total muppet) but for some bizzare reason people like Ron Atkinson always seem to say 'i really fancy him from this range, he is one of the best freekick takers in the game' <--- surely they are being plain sarcastic when they say that.

Anyway thats my rant, Carlos = good player, not great but good and there are certainly dozens of better defenders around.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.