GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gran Turismo 3 - playable demo"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/02/01 at 18:48
Regular
The latest issue of Official PS2 magazine has a PLAYABLE demo of GT3 on the coverdisc.

Don't just sit there - go and buy it!
Thu 22/02/01 at 18:48
"High polygon count"
The latest issue of Official PS2 magazine has a PLAYABLE demo of GT3 on the coverdisc.

Don't just sit there - go and buy it!
Thu 22/02/01 at 18:50
Regular
"Whatever!"
No Way - Is it out now?? I want it!!!!!!!
Thu 22/02/01 at 18:51
Regular
Is it out now?
If so, YYYAAAAHHHHOOOO!!
(er... sorry for the outburst. At least you won`t have heard it over the net!)
Thu 22/02/01 at 19:39
God damnit!!! GT3 is amazing! "Wiz zis zay are really spoiling us"
Thu 22/02/01 at 19:43
"High polygon count"
> No Way - Is it out now?? I want it!!!!!!!

If you mean the game - then no, not for a few months. (But I think you already know that.)

If you mean the magazine, I'm not sure. I subscribe, and I got my copy in the post today. If it's not in the shops yet, it should be very soon.

I'm off to play it now, so I'll report back later...
Thu 22/02/01 at 19:47
Regular
"Whatever!"
Yeah - The magazine is what I mean!! Should get my copy soon, not subscribed but have it on order with Newsagents!! Damn I cannot wait to play that gT3!!! I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!!!
Thu 22/02/01 at 20:12
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
oh, great news!

Wookiee, look forward to hearing your thoughts on the demo.

What other games has it on the disc? Not a playable demo of MGS2 by any chance? :P
Thu 22/02/01 at 21:31
"High polygon count"
Oof! WHAT a game! Okay, here goes...

First thing's first - if you don't like car racing, or racing games, stop reading now, and stay well clear of this game.

For the other 99% of you, read on... and pre-order this game yesterday!

In this playable demo, you get a choice of 3 cars:

Nissan Pennzoil Nismo GT-R '99 Skyline
RUF CTR2 (basically a Porsche)
Pagani Zonda C12

...and 2 tracks...

Trial Mountain
Laguna Seca

This demo is from slightly earlier code of the game than the latest screenshots in the magazines, and it does show - but only if you compare it directly to those screenshots; it's still an amazing demo.

The gameplay is, as expected, exactly the same as GT2. The cars are more responsive, but not much harder to drive. As you will know, what really makes this game stand out is the graphics. Let's be clear - you have never seen graphics like this before - it truly is astounding.

I've downloaded countless video clips from the web (not really clear enough), and looked at every piece of footage on the PS2 magazine coverdiscs and DVD's (usually a bit too dark)... and I still wasn't prepared for this.

The lightsourcing, the reflections, the shadows, the sun glare... everything is in there.

The light through the trees on the Trial Mountain is amazing, and you can see the tree canopy clearly reflected in the roof and windows of the car. But that's not all - in the replays you can actually see trackside objects (including rumble-strips) reflected in the side of the car.

Slip onto the dust beside the Laguna Seca track, and you'll be slowed down... change to a lower gear, accelerate and wheelspin... the dust actually comes out through the spokes in the alloy wheels. Oh, and you can see the brake-discs through those same spokes... and they glow when you brake.

Turn into the sun and you will have to squint - but this adds to the game, rather than spoiling it. One of the greatest moments is on the Laguna Seca track; you're racing into the sun; you approach a bridge, and as you get nearer, the sun disappears behind the bridge, then re-appears. Okay, it doesn't sound much, but the effect is beautiful to see, and quite amazing.

The whole thing is a gorgeous graphical assault on your eyes... I was frequently skidding off the tracks because I was too busy admiring the cars as I passed them.

All this, and the following statement in the demo and the magazine:

"The GT3 team wish you to understand that the code which is included on this demo disc is work in progress, and far from the final version. The full game will feature extensive graphical and gameplay enhancements not currently represented in this code."

So... this little piece of perfection will be even better by the time we can buy it. And to think Kazunori Yamauchi reckons that he'll be able to do far better with a GT4! Well, the mind boggles.

Unfortunately - and this is the only drawback in this demo - you are limited to just 150 seconds before it ends and you have to reset your console to play again; this allows you about a lap-and-a-half of racing. I predict many PS2's being returned due to worn-out On/Off/Reset buttons!

Now we're getting a taste of of what PS2 can do. This game will sell millions of copies, and millions of PS2's. They may not be using the "Do not underestimate..." slogan for PS2, but one thing's for sure... it's more true now than it ever was.
Thu 22/02/01 at 21:33
"High polygon count"
> What other games has it on the disc? Not a playable
> demo of MGS2 by any chance? :P

Other games are all rolling demos...

Sky Odyssey
F1 Championship Season 2000
Theme Park World
Madden NFL 2001
Knockout Kings 2001
Thu 22/02/01 at 22:03
Regular
So you didn`t like it then.... Perhaps I won`t bother buying it. Ah well, I thought it looked good for a while.
Erm? :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.