GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do BBFC ratings mean anything nowadays?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/08/03 at 23:26
Regular
I'm 16. I buy all my DVD's online nowadays and a lot of them are "18" rated.

Nothing stops me from buying them - No spotty tvvat at the counter, No standerds agency. No-one.

So it begs the question - Do BBFC ratings actually mean anything? Yes I know ratings were put there to show the customer what is in the film and what they can expect. But, Why can I buy these films underage? Should'nt I be stopped and taken to the police?

Do BBFC ratings need to be scrapped all together?
Wed 06/08/03 at 22:58
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
Sdrawkcab wrote:
> The ratings have all gone mad anyway.
>
> Terminator should have been a 15.

and the original matrix should have been a 12.
Wed 06/08/03 at 21:56
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Good point, still doesn't let you off the hook on the 'by buying you are stating you are the correct age' thing though. But, you'll never get done for it, probably.
Wed 06/08/03 at 21:35
Regular
Practical Magic wrote:
> Also they require
> credit or debit card payments, most card types won't be issued to
> under 18's.

Natwest gives out Solo cards for people who are 11+

HSBC - 16+

Solo = debit card.

:\
Wed 06/08/03 at 20:04
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Whilst it's easier to buy online, most retailers have small print which says that the customer, by buying the item, is legally stating that they are of the required age for that item. Also they require credit or debit card payments, most card types won't be issued to under 18's.

If you use a parents card to buy online, with or without their knowledge, then theoretically they've broken the law by knowingly buying age rated material to show to someone under that age. Unlikely anyone will ever actually be prosecuted for that, but you never know.

America may not have BBFC ratings, but it does have stringent laws anyway - several states now have made it a felony for any store to sell violent videogames to minors, and all retailers are enforcing it strictly. A challenge to it was shot down in flames by a US court, don't be surprised if rating systems get stricter rather than laxer in the future....
Wed 06/08/03 at 16:24
The ratings have all gone mad anyway.

Terminator should have been a 15.
Wed 06/08/03 at 16:20
"Darth Vader 3442321"
All films should be 18s. Kids do not deserve the right to watch films until they get old enought to appreciate the fact that; nude women, the language of the snooker halls and more blood than a leech which has just sucked on a sumo for an hour, maketh a good film.
Wed 06/08/03 at 16:11
Regular
I'm not to happy that we have the BBFC. In America a lot of stuff is unrated so there is no PG, 12 or 15 etc. Although they can suggest ages.

Can you remember the first time you watched an 18 rated film? I probably saw my first 18 movie when I was 11 if not younger than that. I think it was Predator. Okay so you can't go and buy/rent an 18 but you can still watch it from a mates copy or off tv.

In a video shop lately I saw this mother with her 11/12 year old son and he was just picking 18 movies off the shelf and his mother didn't seem to care at all. They were even discussing what they had heard about the movies before going up and paying for them.

That 12A rating came in after Spiderman. All these parents complaining that they wouldn't be able to take their kids to see the movie even if they knew that their kids could handle the themes in the movie. I think the Spiderman movie should have been a PG there wasn't anything really bad in it anyway. Let the parents decide. They really should do a 15A as well.
Mon 04/08/03 at 11:09
Regular
What i'm saying is - Online the BBFC does'nt really mean anything. Kids can get their Solo card from the age of 11 (from certain banks) and ordering items is'nt a problem.

Should there be some sort of system introduced to stop this?
Mon 04/08/03 at 11:05
Regular
BBFC ratings are law.

Obviously, it's difficult to prove the 15 rating - unless the kids are actually 10 or below, but except for a passport, there's not much ID an under 16 year old can get.

However, if the parents are around, as long as they hand over the cash, it doens't matter. It's up to the parents if they want to let their kids watch stuff classed as too old for them.

I work in Debenhams, and I don't let any snotty nosed teen buy anything if I suspect them of being under the BBFC age for the product. IF they ain't got ID, they're not getting it. Especially if they have one of these 'com' on, I'm ard, innit' attitudes where I take great pleasure in saying, "No ID, no Game/DVD/Video".
Mon 04/08/03 at 09:30
Regular
Mystique wrote:
> Actually, it's illegal to sell to underage kids.
> True story

Thankyou.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.