GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do BBFC ratings mean anything nowadays?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/08/03 at 23:26
Regular
I'm 16. I buy all my DVD's online nowadays and a lot of them are "18" rated.

Nothing stops me from buying them - No spotty tvvat at the counter, No standerds agency. No-one.

So it begs the question - Do BBFC ratings actually mean anything? Yes I know ratings were put there to show the customer what is in the film and what they can expect. But, Why can I buy these films underage? Should'nt I be stopped and taken to the police?

Do BBFC ratings need to be scrapped all together?
Sun 03/08/03 at 23:26
Regular
I'm 16. I buy all my DVD's online nowadays and a lot of them are "18" rated.

Nothing stops me from buying them - No spotty tvvat at the counter, No standerds agency. No-one.

So it begs the question - Do BBFC ratings actually mean anything? Yes I know ratings were put there to show the customer what is in the film and what they can expect. But, Why can I buy these films underage? Should'nt I be stopped and taken to the police?

Do BBFC ratings need to be scrapped all together?
Sun 03/08/03 at 23:32
Regular
"I'm Great."
I have noticed that I have no 18 rated DVDs in my collection even though I buy most over the net now. I think it's the point that I've never tried. If I can buy them because it want the film or series then I will but nothing has really caught my eye plus money must be saved. The ratings will not matter to me in just under two months though.
Sun 03/08/03 at 23:34
Regular
They're guidance ratings for parents.
Sun 03/08/03 at 23:35
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> Yes
> I know ratings were put there to show the customer what is in the film
> and what they can expect.
Sun 03/08/03 at 23:36
Regular
If they are guidance ratings for parents why do I get stopped buying them in high street stores?
Sun 03/08/03 at 23:38
Regular
Because you parents aren't there to say they are happy for you to watch something rated 18.

If you're getting them on the net they don't know who's buying it, although it is generally accepted that having a credit card means you are likely 18+.
Sun 03/08/03 at 23:41
Regular
I have a Solo card.

Which I got just after turning 16.
Sun 03/08/03 at 23:42
Regular
Yes, we know. You've mentioned it enough.

You'd also notice that no-one gives a damn.
Sun 03/08/03 at 23:47
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
By who can see/buy them it doesn't seem to matter much just a guidance of the likely content.

However some directors (mainly new or low budget ones) see getting an 18 as the industries "kiss of death" as it means that their film will not be advertised or reviewed in some magazines or newspapers and that it will not get as much publicity as it needs to take off.

Ever watched a film and thought... "That was an eighteen!????" You know that sort of thing.
Sun 03/08/03 at 23:52
Regular
You can get a Solo at the age of 11.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.