GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"LotR related argument"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/08/03 at 14:03
Regular
It's just a simple "Which is better?" argument between me & a equally beardy mate, but help settle it none the less.

Which is better, Fellowship or Towers?

I say Fellowship, he says Towers.
Sat 02/08/03 at 17:30
Regular
"That's right!"
An overly long tale with too much talking, barely any action and not so special visual effects is a perfect film?

Strange.
Sat 02/08/03 at 17:32
Regular
Er everything you said is wrong about a perfect film...
Sat 02/08/03 at 17:33
Regular
Stryke wrote:
> Excellent, I've decided that I'm right. I reckon Return will be better
> than Towers, but not as good as Fellowship. You'll have to go some to
> better the Fellowship Extended Version - practically as perfect as a
> film can be.

Theie both good for different reasons but i'd go for Towers for the Battle.
Sat 02/08/03 at 17:42
Regular
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> An overly long tale with too much talking, barely any action and not
> so special visual effects is a perfect film?

--

Yeah, you need to get over this. Just because a lot of people liked this film doesn't mean you have to slate it. It's OK to like it too, you know.

Plus the special effects are great. You can on about how the cave troll doesn't look as realistic as the one you rendered at Newcastle College or whatever, but practically every single shot of the film is digitally graded in some way, which is the reason why the sweeping shots over the Misty Mountains or the Shire look so superb.

Barely any action? Flight Over The Brandywine. Arwen Vs The Ringwraiths. The Guardian of Moria. The Balrog. Boromir's Fall. There's plenty of wonderfully choreographed action.

And to produce a workable script from a book that is a showcase for self-invented languages is a commendable effort.
Sat 02/08/03 at 17:54
Regular
"That's right!"
Stryke wrote:
> Yeah, you need to get over this. Just because a lot of people liked
> this film doesn't mean you have to slate it. It's OK to like it too,
> you know.

------

Ha ha. You don't know me at all. Usually, I like the films most people hate. It's nothing to do with "people love it so I have to hate it!" - I'm not a Matrix/Star Wars or Terminator hater. I'm allowed an opinion, don't ASSUME that just because I dislike something you adore, it's because I want to look "cool" or something.

> Plus the special effects are great. You can on about how the cave
> troll doesn't look as realistic as the one you rendered at Newcastle
> College or whatever, but practically every single shot of the film is
> digitally graded in some way, which is the reason why the sweeping
> shots over the Misty Mountains or the Shire look so superb.

-----

They looked computer generated, just like most films. Last time I checked, things in real life don't look like they were made in a computer, they look real. Hence, most of the effects didn't look real. When they had the midgits next to the tall people, it looked terrible.

> Barely any action? Flight Over The Brandywine. Arwen Vs The
> Ringwraiths. The Guardian of Moria. The Balrog. Boromir's Fall.
> There's plenty of wonderfully choreographed action.

-----

Not enough action compared to the talking/walking crap. The end fight was good, and Bean is the man, but there wasn't enough. And I don't know what you just said. Flight Over The Brandywine? Arwen Vs The
Ringwraiths? The Guardian of Moria? The Balrog? Boromir's Fall? I'm not a nerd, I don't know what they are. Say "the fight in the dungeon" or "the end fight" otherwise I don't know what you mean.

> And to produce a workable script from a book that is a showcase for
> self-invented languages is a commendable effort.

------

Yes, I agree on that one, turning a novel into a GOOD script is very hard. I think they did a good job with that, though I haven't read the books (they're sitting on my bookshelf, gathering dust)

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the film as much as I did the first time I saw it, but my GOD there was some boring crap in it. The action was decent, not enough of it mind, and the end was good. But to say it's a perfect film is bollards. No such thing as a perfect film, closest to that is the original Star Wars trilogy. Or Back To The Future ;)
Sat 02/08/03 at 20:17
"period drama"
Return probably won't be as good - most of the problems are psychological rather than physical with the Ring, which works much better in books than on film.

That said, it's got the spider woman in it ... who's name I can't remember. Not Shota, that's another book - but something similar : |
And she rules.
Sat 02/08/03 at 21:07
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
fellowship, sets the scene

Towers, gets the action going

return of the king, finishs it off in style
Sat 02/08/03 at 21:24
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
Fellowship. Towers seemed to be trying to be amusing with Gimli, and it wasn't working and just irritated me, and they abused the story just too much.

However, they're both really bad about that, there's no singing.
Sat 02/08/03 at 21:47
Regular
BEARDS. wrote:

> there's no singing.

Yes there is.

I can think of two scenes in the Fellowship right now. One of Aragorn, and the Hobbits singing in the pub.
Sat 02/08/03 at 22:08
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Return shall rock.

And they better put in the bit at the end of Two Towers (book) when Frodo runs aimlessly towards Minas Morgul, and then the witch kings army comes out.

That bit is terrifying in the book.

Like FFF said, a lot of the best bits of LOTR, in book form anyway, are the psychological implications, and indeed horrors, of the ring.

Albeit, Battle Of The Pelennor Fields and the last stand battle shall rock.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.