GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"LotR related argument"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/08/03 at 14:03
Regular
It's just a simple "Which is better?" argument between me & a equally beardy mate, but help settle it none the less.

Which is better, Fellowship or Towers?

I say Fellowship, he says Towers.
Sun 03/08/03 at 18:32
Regular
My biggest worry is that there is just so much left to fit into the final film.

Sadly, I expect the part of Saruman taking over the Shire after the alliance victory will be completely left out.
Sun 03/08/03 at 18:33
"period drama"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> Well he wouldn't have said pukka, no.

Yes he would. Don't spoil it.
And he'd have done a little rap.
Sun 03/08/03 at 18:36
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> My biggest worry is that there is just so much left to fit into the
> final film.
>
>
> Sadly, I expect the part of Saruman taking over the Shire after the
> alliance victory will be completely left out.

Yes, PJ mentioned in the FOTR commentry and numerous interviews that this would be the case - but I mean come on - a hobbit battle to round off the film would look pretty pathetic after the extrodinary battles at Pelennor and the Morannon.
Sun 03/08/03 at 19:27
Regular
Fellowship, it followed the book unlike Towers which was all over the place. Towers was a shorter book, why cut out almost the entire last chapter?( Probably more, but I forget)
Sun 03/08/03 at 19:54
Regular
Mr President wrote:
> Tom Bombadil was left out for much the
> same reason.

--

No. Bombadil would have been a great addition to the film. He's the one great mystery of the books - what exactly is he? He's more than a Maia, because even Gandalf is tempted by the Ring. A Valar? Or Illuvator himself? I would have loved to see the film tackle this.
Sun 03/08/03 at 20:53
Regular
Stryke wrote:
> Mr President wrote:
> Tom Bombadil was left out for much the
> same reason.
>
> --
>
> No. Bombadil would have been a great addition to the film. He's the
> one great mystery of the books - what exactly is he? He's more than a
> Maia, because even Gandalf is tempted by the Ring. A Valar? Or
> Illuvator himself? I would have loved to see the film tackle this.

Indeed - I myself am a Bombadil fan, I was merely pointing out one of the problems his inclusion would pose in presenting this to today's cinema audience. On the subject of what Bombadil is, most members of Tolkien sites and message boards still argue about it. I think he is a Maia - it's worth looking up some of the good arguments stating this case, but there are inconsistencies. However, the general consensus is that he did appear in Middle Earth before all living things, including Treebeard.
Sun 03/08/03 at 21:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Stryke wrote:
He's more than a
> Maia, because even Gandalf is tempted by the Ring. A Valar? Or
> Illuvator himself?
-----

There is just so much beard in this I cannot even begin to Blessed.
Sun 03/08/03 at 21:14
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Towers certainly has more action, more than Fellowship. My favourite though is The Return of the King. Especially the chapter "Scouring of the Shire"
Mon 04/08/03 at 11:35
Regular
Goatboy wrote:

> There is just so much beard in this I cannot even begin to Blessed.

--

You love The Beard.

--

Mr President wrote:
> I think he is a Maia - it's worth looking up some of the good arguments stating this case, but there are inconsistencies. However, the general consensus is that he did appear in Middle Earth before all living things, including Treebeard.

--

Nah, can't be a Maia. Gandalf, Sauron & Saruman are all Maia and the Ring affects them. He's got to be a Valar at the least. Read The Silmarillion - Treebeard wasn't the first living thing on Middle Earth. Elves were, created by the Valar.
Mon 04/08/03 at 11:46
Regular
Oh, and if you're beardy enough to be interested in the Bombadil argument, President blokey, might be worth giving this a read:

http://www.cas.unt.edu/~hargrove/bombadil.html

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.