GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So all this Government spending..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/05/09 at 10:45
"possibly impossible"
The Government's personal spending habits are all over the news at the moment (Tesco are probably taking notes to send them advertising) but a lot of it seems to be media hype again.

Everyone in a certain job with requirements to relocate or travel should have expenses paid by their company. The main differences here seem to be that it's tax payer's money and that a few MPs seem to be claiming for more than they should (or for odd things).

This, of course, should come as no surprise. We all realise that some people, given a position of power, will try to sneak through any system in order to get something for nothing, MPs especially.

So the question isn't really whether they should be spending this money (obviously not in many cases reported) but should there really be so much fuss and surprise about what's been going on?

Also, how would you regulate MP's spending?

I'd first give them a budget cap so they can only spend up to an agreed amount, then give them a stricter set of rules across the board so it's fair and above board.
Mon 18/05/09 at 22:34
Regular
Definately on the same wavelength.

Unless they change things so these expenses are claimable by all (whether public or private sector - no matter what their position) then why should they be able to have these things paid for with our money?
Mon 18/05/09 at 21:50
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Garin wrote:
> And what point is it you're trying to demonstrate? That since
> you can highlight one job that doesnt accomodate second
> homes/families etc. that every job or role in public service
> shouldnt?

So on that reasoning - as I work for the government then I should be entitled to a second home? Or an extra payment for just turning up for work. We'd all love that, but why should MPs have a huge salary, free money to spend on whatever they want (with no real questions asked) and embezzle themselves in tax payers money and the rest of us can't, or am I missing the point?

EDIT: Just read your post Edgy, pretty much similar to some of the points I've just posted, so seems we're on the same wavelength. But to MPs, a clean moat is more important than a life-saving operation anyway.
Mon 18/05/09 at 21:25
Regular
Not every job/role in the public service does. That's a fact. And why should they anyway? Would you like it if your taxes being used to pay for a family trip meant that you couldn't have life saving treatment in hospital because the organisations that are supposed to get the funding from our taxes are losing out to MPs claims for holdays for their families?

And again, it's only MPs that get them paid for them. Taxpayers would have to pay tax on anything paid by their employer for family to accompany them on 'business' trips as the expense isn't wholly necessary to do the job.

And since when was a claim for dog food or manure a job expense for an MP? Nobody pays taxes to look after pets in my street, nor to have their gardens fertilised.

Or am I missing the point?
Mon 18/05/09 at 17:09
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
hippyman wrote:
> I know you are mainly playing the devil's advocate here Garin (as
> you do), but what I am suggesting (ignoring any stats - as they
> are for demonstration purposes only to help make a point).

So saying MPs spend 90% of their time away from parliament was an example for demonstration purposes? Bizarre.

> On the point of MPs taking their families with them, I always
> thought their second homes were mainly for themselves and perhaps
> a mistress ;p. But seriously, why do they need to take their
> families? If we suddenly opened up a space project where some
> astronauts were launched on a sixth-month space mission, would
> they be able to have their families with them (I know it isn't
> likely that would happen, but again, I am trying to demonstrate a
> point).

And what point is it you're trying to demonstrate? That since you can highlight one job that doesnt accomodate second homes/families etc. that every job or role in public service shouldnt?
Mon 18/05/09 at 08:23
Regular
"How Ironic"
Good point Hippyman. How far should it be allowed to go?
Mon 18/05/09 at 08:19
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I know you are mainly playing the devil's advocate here Garin (as you do), but what I am suggesting (ignoring any stats - as they are for demonstration purposes only to help make a point).

On the point of MPs taking their families with them, I always thought their second homes were mainly for themselves and perhaps a mistress ;p. But seriously, why do they need to take their families? If we suddenly opened up a space project where some astronauts were launched on a sixth-month space mission, would they be able to have their families with them (I know it isn't likely that would happen, but again, I am trying to demonstrate a point).

Even on the point of hotels, if they can have their families with them, I've not witnessed being sent to a single bed hotel when I've travelled, so a hotel would be an ideal solution - everything paid in house, less collecting of receipts etc. and hopefully that will cause less scandal as less things will be scrutinised over.
Mon 18/05/09 at 07:28
Regular
This is what the average taxpayer gets according to the tax office's website

So you get tax relief on the cost of travel and subsistence costs, strictly for business journeys only. If I understand that, then bringing your family along with you is not tax allowable, so if your employer pays that allowance to you, you pay tax on it. You don't get it for free.

So why should MPs be paid their expenses for family to go on day/week trips with them out of the money we pay in taxes to our under-funded NHS, schools, army, etc, when you and I aren't treated the same?

I don't think MPs should get extra to cover family/work balance. They're paid more than I am and my family/work balance isn't considered by my employer. They are already paid more to do their jobs.
Sun 17/05/09 at 22:54
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
....And yes, I'm pleased that Garin disagreed with Garin too :-)
Sun 17/05/09 at 21:14
Regular
"How Ironic"
hippyman wrote:

> And why would family provisions have to be considered. When I'm
> on a 2-week course in Liverpool, I'm not offered the chance to
> take the family away - so why should they?

LIVERPOOOOL!! :D
Sun 17/05/09 at 21:14
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Yeah, I disagree with Garin too!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.