GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So all this Government spending..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/05/09 at 10:45
"possibly impossible"
The Government's personal spending habits are all over the news at the moment (Tesco are probably taking notes to send them advertising) but a lot of it seems to be media hype again.

Everyone in a certain job with requirements to relocate or travel should have expenses paid by their company. The main differences here seem to be that it's tax payer's money and that a few MPs seem to be claiming for more than they should (or for odd things).

This, of course, should come as no surprise. We all realise that some people, given a position of power, will try to sneak through any system in order to get something for nothing, MPs especially.

So the question isn't really whether they should be spending this money (obviously not in many cases reported) but should there really be so much fuss and surprise about what's been going on?

Also, how would you regulate MP's spending?

I'd first give them a budget cap so they can only spend up to an agreed amount, then give them a stricter set of rules across the board so it's fair and above board.
Fri 22/05/09 at 08:20
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Probably the funniest story I have come across

They're jealous of my house
Fri 22/05/09 at 01:01
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
dont think the value of their travel under those warrants are included in the travel expenses list as there are MP's with zero travel expenses.

This is all beyond belief..! and still we dont know the half of it..!!
Fri 22/05/09 at 00:41
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Tappet wrote:
> Garin wrote:
> MPs already get given travel warrants.
>
> just to verify, your saying MP's get free travel warrants and
> still run up these published travel expenses?

I dont know what the exact system is or what sort of warrants they are, only that they do get them. So the value of their travel under those warrants may already be included in those expenses.
Fri 22/05/09 at 00:19
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
Garin wrote:
> MPs already get given travel warrants.

just to verify, your saying MP's get free travel warrants and still run up these published travel expenses?
Thu 21/05/09 at 23:45
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
MPs already get given travel warrants.
Thu 21/05/09 at 22:11
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
Kate Hoey £2082.97 per mile per year and only lives 1.05miles away!

I live in the fens and know parants who's children have to walk to & from school along unlight lanes because they only live 2.8 miles away and don't qualify for free transport (over 3 miles away) even though the school bus passes their way.

These travel expenses need to stop.
Not all MP's are responsible and its only a small percentage that have really abused it, but SORRY, they have spoilt it for you all.

All MP's should use PUBLIC TRANSPORT where possible. Standard travel passes for use of trains, tubes and buses should be issued to them all with an option to upgrade to 1st class where possible at their own expence. Any car travel should be a set amount per mile to cover fuel, and i think its quite fair to say road tax, insurance, maintainance etc is their own responibility.
Thu 21/05/09 at 16:27
Regular
Again I have to disagree with Garin, £1,645 on a duck island :S This is just getting stupid now.
Thu 21/05/09 at 13:17
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Garin wrote:
> I'm sure some of you will enjoy this..
>
> http://mpexpenses.appspot.com/

It was rather interesting (although I have to admit cringeworthy when I saw how much our MP spends...)

Thanks for the link Garin.

The travel expense list is quite shocking, especially at the top end of the scale in the cost per mile column.
Wed 20/05/09 at 23:51
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I'm sure some of you will enjoy this..

http://mpexpenses.appspot.com/
Wed 20/05/09 at 22:41
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
Edgy wrote:
> Claiming for mortgages that have already been paid?

In the case i read about the MP had claimed £11,000 for a mortage that did not exsist and stated that he had forgot he payed off the mortage a few years ealier. Does that mean he claimed this amount each year for the last few years and how long is a few years?? i see it as at least 3 years.

Whether its tax relief (unlikely) or second home mortage expenses its bang out of order and fraud !

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.