GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Contemplating packing up and moving to Freeola"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/05/09 at 14:05
"possibly impossible"
I've been with BT for ages now for my broadband and they're 'ok'. But sometimes just being ok doesn't cut it.

What's annoyed me most recently is that their hardware sounds great until it's put into practice, namely the new Home Hub 2.0. For a start the USB doesn't work with my HDD any more and then it's not the most reliable service despite claims of the signal being stronger.

The cost (£30 a month) does include a smartphone, which I've since changed but still use the sim card, which has 10mb free each month and apparently a USB dongle if I re-register for 18 months.

The Geocities site is closing too, so no free website with BT either after that time (not that Geocities is that good).

However, Freeola does look like a viable alternative, with no annoying contract, cheaper rates and what seems like a support staff who are there to actually help you (makes a change).

The only thing I see is that the modem/router isn't Vista compatible (surprised that there are no firmware updates for it) and I'd have to buy a new router.

Can anyone recommend me a Freeola based router with a USB input to use my HDD on the network and with a decent WIFI signal strength?

The other thing is that I'm on an ADSL2 exchange now but only get 1.5mb, is there any reason Freeola may be faster than BT? I'd like to imagine having a faster broadband, even if it's by another half a meg.

I'm going to have to wait until August if I don't want to pay BT's get out clause (£75 or so) but I want to make my mind up now.
Thu 07/05/09 at 18:45
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Hmmm... wrote:
> *shocked* that ButchML linked to 'BT'... :¬(

Only for reference, plus as we don't actually sell this router we have no page listing all the info pb might be looking for :)

I also cba to search through countless pages of Google (other search engines are available) to find a page with everything that may be needed.
Thu 07/05/09 at 18:05
"Are you sure?"
pb - can you keep the router you've already got? Some BT homehubs are locked - but not all firmwares and if you can keep it they can all be 'hacked'.

Does your external HDD have a network connection (RJ45)? If it has you can use 'any' router.

"Not all Routers are equal" I'm afraid - your line sounds quite long like mine so you have to get the most compatible one - not just any one! Here's my router history FYI.

In the past we have briefly discussed your line - if you can find your 'line stats' ( Sync/Attenuation/SNR )then people will be able to say what speeds you could expect.

*shocked* that ButchML linked to 'BT'... :¬(

Search Freeola Chat
Thu 07/05/09 at 17:38
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Think you may have mis-read the information about the hardware pb, the free modem we offer to new customers isn't Vista compatible as the USB drivers we have for it only work up to, and including, XP. However, we do offer a free 1 port router as a replacement for those customers who do not want or are otherwise unable to use the 105. As you can see this is just a basic 1 port router with no USB inputs.

We currently do not stock any routers in our shop that have such a feature. Being in charge of the items we sell, I have looked into this in the past but, unfortunately, with the prices we were getting at the time this was not really a workable option.

As a rule, any ADSL router not tied or locked down to another ISP will work with Freeola. Some may be more complicated to set-up than others but we are always willing to give it a go!
Thu 07/05/09 at 14:05
"possibly impossible"
I've been with BT for ages now for my broadband and they're 'ok'. But sometimes just being ok doesn't cut it.

What's annoyed me most recently is that their hardware sounds great until it's put into practice, namely the new Home Hub 2.0. For a start the USB doesn't work with my HDD any more and then it's not the most reliable service despite claims of the signal being stronger.

The cost (£30 a month) does include a smartphone, which I've since changed but still use the sim card, which has 10mb free each month and apparently a USB dongle if I re-register for 18 months.

The Geocities site is closing too, so no free website with BT either after that time (not that Geocities is that good).

However, Freeola does look like a viable alternative, with no annoying contract, cheaper rates and what seems like a support staff who are there to actually help you (makes a change).

The only thing I see is that the modem/router isn't Vista compatible (surprised that there are no firmware updates for it) and I'd have to buy a new router.

Can anyone recommend me a Freeola based router with a USB input to use my HDD on the network and with a decent WIFI signal strength?

The other thing is that I'm on an ADSL2 exchange now but only get 1.5mb, is there any reason Freeola may be faster than BT? I'd like to imagine having a faster broadband, even if it's by another half a meg.

I'm going to have to wait until August if I don't want to pay BT's get out clause (£75 or so) but I want to make my mind up now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.