GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Contemplating packing up and moving to Freeola"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/05/09 at 14:05
"possibly impossible"
I've been with BT for ages now for my broadband and they're 'ok'. But sometimes just being ok doesn't cut it.

What's annoyed me most recently is that their hardware sounds great until it's put into practice, namely the new Home Hub 2.0. For a start the USB doesn't work with my HDD any more and then it's not the most reliable service despite claims of the signal being stronger.

The cost (£30 a month) does include a smartphone, which I've since changed but still use the sim card, which has 10mb free each month and apparently a USB dongle if I re-register for 18 months.

The Geocities site is closing too, so no free website with BT either after that time (not that Geocities is that good).

However, Freeola does look like a viable alternative, with no annoying contract, cheaper rates and what seems like a support staff who are there to actually help you (makes a change).

The only thing I see is that the modem/router isn't Vista compatible (surprised that there are no firmware updates for it) and I'd have to buy a new router.

Can anyone recommend me a Freeola based router with a USB input to use my HDD on the network and with a decent WIFI signal strength?

The other thing is that I'm on an ADSL2 exchange now but only get 1.5mb, is there any reason Freeola may be faster than BT? I'd like to imagine having a faster broadband, even if it's by another half a meg.

I'm going to have to wait until August if I don't want to pay BT's get out clause (£75 or so) but I want to make my mind up now.
Mon 11/05/09 at 18:15
"possibly impossible"
Looks like I'll have to test the master socket later (need to move the computer table), kids need looking after and dinner requires eating!
Mon 11/05/09 at 18:03
"possibly impossible"
Oh, and I also have an iPlate I installed, just in case!
Mon 11/05/09 at 18:03
"Are you sure?"
Just long enough to get the connection speed and attenuation figures.

*warning*
Don't restart your router too often in a short space of time - else you will upset BT and get a Target SNR of 15db that will slow you down even more!!!
Mon 11/05/09 at 18:00
"possibly impossible"
I have in the past checked through the Master socket, but only for speed (over 3-5 days) rather than quality.

How long would I need to test for?
Mon 11/05/09 at 17:55
"Are you sure?"
...and I thought my line was long(ish) !

61db is very long. 63 is often the maximum most routers bother to display!

It's still worth checking the same stats while plugged directly into the TEST socket behind the removable faceplate if you have a modern BT Master Socket. There's still the chance your internal wiring is dragging things down so it's worth testing.

Looks like your Target SNR has been raised to 12db to stabilise your line at the expense of speed at some time in the past. So it's possible this could be improved if you now have a stable line.

I've read that the 'new' IPSC connections Freeola have allow easier control of this with 'stability management' settings.
Perhaps Freeola can shed some more light on this as changing this could help you?

Search Freeola Chat
Mon 11/05/09 at 17:36
"possibly impossible"
It doesn't make for pretty reading:

Line state Connected
Connection time 29 days, 17:22:31
Downstream 1,856 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Interleave
Noise margin (Down/Up) 12.6 dB / 15.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 61.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Mon 11/05/09 at 17:09
"possibly impossible"
Thanks Hmmm..., I haven't been on my own home PC for a while, too busy working! I'm trying it tonight though.

Also found This Home Hub guide for using it with another ISP so that sounds like it could work, as you mentioned it might.

Still have to wait a while to get out of the BT contract, but at least I know Freeola is looking like one of the best options for me now and even with the second option I'll save £9 or so a month (and get a free website and hosting for a while).
Mon 11/05/09 at 11:03
"Are you sure?"
pb - see my post below...
Any luck?

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 08/05/09 at 09:43
"Are you sure?"
pb - if you can find the line attenuation and current sync (connection speed) from your router it would be helpful for you.

i.e. if your attenuation is 30db then you are on a decent line and you could get full sync (8128), as it gets longer (higher attenuation) then the speed will fall. This graph maps attenuation to line rate(sync) and shows how things work.

Are you able to login to your routers interface?

It looks like the default userid and password are both 'admin' - login here: http://192.168.1.254
Select Broadband Connection on the left of the main screen, select DSL Connection and finally select Details at the top right of the page.

Or this page should take you straight there: http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0

It looks like the HomeHub (or at least some of them) is a re-branded Thomson model so it might be worth using.

Routers aren't really tied down to OS. The reason Freeola's normal free kit isn't compatible with Vista is because it's a USB Modem (which does require s/w) and not a stand alone router.
The alternative 1 port router ButchML offered doesn't sound like it's what you are after.

Freeola do sell this ZyXEL which may suit you? But doesn't have the USB input?

My earlier router link covers things, but my longish line (attenuation 51db) works best with a Broadcom chipset based router. So I'm a fan of the Speedtouch 585v6. Some of the Netgear range also use Broadcom (DG834v4 and DG834GT for example).

If you want to change your router you will have more choice if you change to a network connected external HDD or plug your current HDD into a PC and 'share' it on the network.

Search Freeola Chat
Thu 07/05/09 at 22:25
"possibly impossible"
Hmmm... wrote:
> pb - can you keep the router you've already got? Some BT homehubs
> are locked - but not all firmwares and if you can keep it they
> can all be 'hacked'.
>
> Does your external HDD have a network connection (RJ45)? If it
> has you can use 'any' router.
>
> "Not all Routers are equal" I'm afraid - your line
> sounds quite long like mine so you have to get the most
> compatible one - not just any one! Here's my
> router
> history FYI
>
> In the past we have briefly discussed your line - if you can
> find your 'line stats' (
> Sync/Attenuation/SNR
> )then people will be able to say what speeds you could expect.
>
>
> *shocked* that ButchML linked to 'BT'... :¬(
>
I'd rather get a new router. The HDD doesn't have a network connection, I'd certainly use that as it would be faster. It's not something that would ultimately prevent me from getting a new router though.

Ideally I'd like a 4 Ethernet port Router with a decent wireless reach and easy set up which has been proven to work well with consoles. I've got an old one somewhere but not sure if that is Vista compatible, will check.

As for the line, I've done all the physical work, disconnected ring wires and added an iPlate for good measure, after all the line tests it looks like 1.5 is the average, though Freeola's check on my line shows 2. It's pretty much down to how far I am from the exchange now as there shouldn't be any noise on my line (that I could get rid of).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.