GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Contemplating packing up and moving to Freeola"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/05/09 at 14:05
"possibly impossible"
I've been with BT for ages now for my broadband and they're 'ok'. But sometimes just being ok doesn't cut it.

What's annoyed me most recently is that their hardware sounds great until it's put into practice, namely the new Home Hub 2.0. For a start the USB doesn't work with my HDD any more and then it's not the most reliable service despite claims of the signal being stronger.

The cost (£30 a month) does include a smartphone, which I've since changed but still use the sim card, which has 10mb free each month and apparently a USB dongle if I re-register for 18 months.

The Geocities site is closing too, so no free website with BT either after that time (not that Geocities is that good).

However, Freeola does look like a viable alternative, with no annoying contract, cheaper rates and what seems like a support staff who are there to actually help you (makes a change).

The only thing I see is that the modem/router isn't Vista compatible (surprised that there are no firmware updates for it) and I'd have to buy a new router.

Can anyone recommend me a Freeola based router with a USB input to use my HDD on the network and with a decent WIFI signal strength?

The other thing is that I'm on an ADSL2 exchange now but only get 1.5mb, is there any reason Freeola may be faster than BT? I'd like to imagine having a faster broadband, even if it's by another half a meg.

I'm going to have to wait until August if I don't want to pay BT's get out clause (£75 or so) but I want to make my mind up now.
Sat 20/06/09 at 11:33
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
t1mmie wrote:

> Just move house and cancel your direct debits - problem solved!
> :D

It really is that simple.

Shame about BT "pibs" but this is why they get people into contracts I assume :(
Thu 18/06/09 at 15:51
Regular
pb wrote:
> Well, I tried. My hub phone keeps going wrong so I complained.
> They told me it wasn't compatible with the current hub, but
> didn't want to budge on supplying a new one.
>
> So I told them I wanted out, but the problem is that the mobile
> broadband thing is with them too and they wouldn't let me however
> much fuss I made.
>
> Anyway, means it's still November before I can transfer. But
> all the stuff I'm reading about Freeola's service has convinced
> me I'm going straight here when I can quit BT.

Just move house and cancel your direct debits - problem solved! :D
Thu 18/06/09 at 14:59
"possibly impossible"
Well, I tried. My hub phone keeps going wrong so I complained. They told me it wasn't compatible with the current hub, but didn't want to budge on supplying a new one.

So I told them I wanted out, but the problem is that the mobile broadband thing is with them too and they wouldn't let me however much fuss I made.

Anyway, means it's still November before I can transfer. But all the stuff I'm reading about Freeola's service has convinced me I'm going straight here when I can quit BT.
Thu 11/06/09 at 13:27
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Its amazing what some companies will l do to get you off the phone, when you have a point.

Take this for example. My sisters phone with Vodafone. The shop in town just laughed at my sister when she dropped her phone in a puddle.

Basically I went up there and they were rude to me, I then phoned their support. Went through to supervisor after 40 minutes, but eventually got them to give my sister £10 per month off her contract for the remaining 13 months. £130 squids! This is because i refused to accept the poor level of service they gave at the store. I wanted to complain so they compensated.

Bare in mind my sister had dropped her phone in a huge puddle completing voiding the warranty. My argument was that the contract could not be fulfilled if she had no phone, was there nothing they could do for her? And they obliged.
Wed 10/06/09 at 08:58
"possibly impossible"
I'll have a go. They did sound pretty adamant that I'd have to pay yesterday though.
Tue 09/06/09 at 19:29
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
You may be able to wrangle your way out of it by the way. BT recently got in a bit of stick over this sort of thing, and have been known to back down after some constructive moaning.

I'll try and find where I read about it and get back to you. However just try moaning to their CS anyway. Never know.
Tue 09/06/09 at 15:40
"possibly impossible"
Great.

BT extended my Broadband contract by 18 months, not 12 when they 'offered' me the mobile internet. Now I have to wait till November or pay a couple of hundred quid to cancel early.

Come November I'll grab my MAC code and take my business to Freeola for sure now.
Tue 19/05/09 at 21:04
"possibly impossible"
Well, I found an old 5 port Safecom GURU Modem/router today that a friend had given me. (product code GART2-4115 if you're interested).

Amazed by the wealth of options and ease of the menus on it, took me about 10 minutes to get up and running. Anyway, looks like it's pretty universal and probably more sturdy than the BT Home Hub anyway. Might even be a bit faster (I know, mostly it's the line speed not the equipment, but who knows!)

Anyway, it's a step towards changing ISP and you've convinced me Freeola is first on my list when I can break the chains of BT.
Mon 11/05/09 at 19:48
"possibly impossible"
Testing speed isn't too important, I've done that enough times and know the speed is pretty much spot on with or without using the master socket since taking out the ring wire and installing the iplate.

Ran the Freeola checker again:
Estimated ADSL2+ Upgrade Date: Upgraded. Freeola will perform ADSL2+ upgrades shortly.
Expected ADSL2+ Broadband Speed: 1Mbps

Oh dear!

Surely BT could put some sort of relay exchange in where properties were far enough from the exchange to give these low speeds? How do other countries like Spain seem to manage when they have houses so far apart from each other?
Mon 11/05/09 at 18:31
"Are you sure?"
Best not to re-connect in the evening as you won't get you best connection speed (lower SNRM). The attenuation figure would still be accurate though.

I would wait until you can test/restart during the day now...

Search Freeola Chat

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.