GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is it worth getting a PS2?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/02/01 at 12:46
Regular
I want peoples honest opinions here. I already have a Dreamcast, an N64 and a PC with DVD player. Is it really worth me buying a PS2? I dont care if there are good games coming out in 18months time, for £300, with the games available now is it worth me buying a PS2?
Wed 14/02/01 at 12:46
I want peoples honest opinions here. I already have a Dreamcast, an N64 and a PC with DVD player. Is it really worth me buying a PS2? I dont care if there are good games coming out in 18months time, for £300, with the games available now is it worth me buying a PS2?
Wed 14/02/01 at 13:05
"High polygon count"
If you like any of the particular games available now, then yes, it's definitely worth it.

If you are not a fan of any of the particular genres, then no, it's probably not.

No launch titles were exceptionally outstanding, but there are some very good, very solid games available.

Only you can really decide. Find a store with a spare/display/demo model (there must be some by now), tell them you're uncertain, and ask if you can try some of the games in the shop. (Obviously a dedicated games store would be best for this!)

That should help you decide if you really want to splash out on one. Personally, I don't believe that the PS2 is over-priced, but that doesn't mean that £300 (more with game and memory card) isn't a lot of money.
Wed 14/02/01 at 13:07
Good question. I guess your PC is a decent spec, if it's got a DVD drive? If that's the case, unless you are really keen on playing any of the existing titles, probably not. With the platforms you have, the current PS2 games are not really going to add much choice. Also, is your PC connected up to a TV? If not, then a PS2 would give you that.

BUT, there will be a steady flow of quality games coming out over the next few months. I'd suggest investigating a PS2 game site, seeing what's available, and what's up and coming. If there's stuff there that you like the look of, which won't be available on one of your existing platforms, go for it.

I'm not being anti PS2 here. If you asked the same question, but without having all the platforms, I'd say definitely get one now.
Wed 14/02/01 at 13:12
WM - do we get commission for this? ;-)
Wed 14/02/01 at 13:19
"High polygon count"
> WM - do we get commission for this? ;-)

We should do! :-)

I think a few of us should set up the Unofficial Freeola Consultancy Knowledgebase - UFCK for short.

Hmm... maybe not then...
Wed 14/02/01 at 13:30
Regular
"not dead"
Let me just make a note of that...

Freeola....
Unofficial....

What was the rest...?
Wed 14/02/01 at 13:56
"High polygon count"
meka_dragon wrote:
> Let me just make a note of that...

> Freeola....
> Unofficial....
> Knowledgebase, and then...

Not sure I want to complete that.

Are we treading too fine a line here...?
Wed 14/02/01 at 14:10
Regular
"not dead"
I certainly don't fancy facing the wrath of Ali or Tony, and i don't even know what a wrath is!

How come we never hear about the gruntled members of the public?
Wed 14/02/01 at 14:59
I'd have thought Flying Pig was one?
Wed 14/02/01 at 17:45
If you want some instructions on how to have some serious fun and enjoyment, without all the gibberish, then:

Get a PS2 now!
Get TimeSplitters, Unreal, SSX, Z.O.E and Starfighter now!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.