GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Quick! Win a free game!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/04/09 at 13:53
Regular
At 4:30pm every Thursday, we will be awarding a Gaming Award for a technical post - giving you another chance to win a free game (or a £30 Amazon voucher) each week!

Simply write up a (fairly) comprehensive guide or tutorial about how to do something technical and you will be in with a chance of winning. You can enter your submission at any time to be in with a chance of winning (not just on Thursdays).

If you submit after the deadline, then your submission will be considered in next weeks' competition.

If there are no submissions made, then the award will be donated to charity -- So get posting!!

Have a look at the previous (technical post) submissions to get an idea of what we're looking for.

Remember, you can win any game of your choice each week - submitting a technical post is one of the many ways to do so.
Thu 07/05/09 at 15:22
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
motomoto wrote:
> I really like your guide Emmie, because its exactly what a lot
> of Freeola customers would probably like to do with their web
> site, but I also like PB's as its the sort of thing that I dabble
> in.
>
> Can you see how difficult it is to award GAD prizes? ;___;

So the contenders are a guide about an obsolete html tag which doesnt work in all browsers or another that provides no practical advice or solutions to the topic. Sorry pb and emmie, harsh but true unfortunately.

If you set the bar so low whats the point in anybody who can write something useful doing so? Should I spend a few hours setting up a demo/tutorial of some cool html/css/javascript feature or maybe spend 10 minutes writing a technical guide to a piece of string which is just as likely to get me some recognition.

Anyway, rather than being critical I have a suggestion that might help. How about trying to provide some structure to this? If you want to build up a resource for Freeola customers then it makes sense to try to get entries on certain topics. So each week you set a topic. This week could have been a guide on adding sound & video to your website for instance. If you want to minimise duplicates of the same topic then given several like one for web stuff and another for general pc topics. People who are desparate to win can still take part, they've got a week to learn about the topic and write something. You could even do something more elaborate like working out index to a "Freeola User Help Guide" so people have got a whole list of topics to choose from.
Thu 07/05/09 at 15:14
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
75 :o
Thu 07/05/09 at 15:07
Regular
Just less than 90 minutes left!
Thu 07/05/09 at 14:17
Regular
"THFC"
Yea i think you have a pretty hard job picking a winner, and while your always fair and going to make someone happy, there will also be a few who are disappointed, but then the majority of us are here for the social side of things and not to win prizes, i see it as a great bonus.

I really enjoy writing reviews and chat posts, something about it when people read them and find it useful or comment (sad i know lol)

But thanks for clearing it all up and i cant believe i have had a couple of positive comments on my tutorial, i thought it was too basic as some of you guys are pretty technical, but its good to know i can post more things like that now and hopefully contribute and help people!
Thu 07/05/09 at 14:03
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
motomoto wrote:
> Can you see how difficult it is to award GAD prizes? ;___;

Still think we should update our old tea randomiser to pick, or maybe we should ask Tony for a dartboard?
Thu 07/05/09 at 13:31
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Hey Emmie,

Tuesday's prize is awarded for all things Gaming, this means cheats, reviews, walkthroughs... (runs out of ideas) but yes anything gaming related.

Thursday is for technical submissions, ultimately we want guides that other Freeola users would be interested in using. Personally I like to see a good un-freeola-related PC tutorial, but I know other Staffies here like to see a good web design related tutorial...

I really like your guide Emmie, because its exactly what a lot of Freeola customers would probably like to do with their web site, but I also like PB's as its the sort of thing that I dabble in.

Can you see how difficult it is to award GAD prizes? ;___;
Thu 07/05/09 at 12:21
Regular
"THFC"
So does it always work with Reviews, chat posts, cheats and walkthroughs being in with a chance on Tuesday and Technical Posts being the Thursday winner??

I just wondered as i aint seen cheats win for some time or a walkthrough, didn;t know if people were still submitting many, i ddi a load a few days ago but wondered if they still stood a chance to win?

I may try my hand at what i consider to be a technical post for me lol, maybe just a small guide on something i know how to do, but dont exect anything groundbreaking!
Thu 07/05/09 at 11:53
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Bump!

Any other offerings?
Wed 06/05/09 at 23:11
"possibly impossible"
Garin wrote:
> Are you sure your post qualifies as technical, pb? ;)

It's about as technical as I get! :D
Wed 06/05/09 at 15:44
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Are you sure your post qualifies as technical, pb? ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.