GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Suicide"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/06/03 at 19:21
Regular
No, not a 'sympathy please' thread, just general views and stuff on the matter.

In America, I am not sure about England, it is illegal and you can be arrested for trying to kill yourself. I think this is wrong, you are in charge of your life and nobody else has the permission to keep you alive or kill you. I think that suicide should be legalised, it would probably prevent the number of people attempting suicice as a 'cry for help' thing.

Some people will say suicide is really pathetic and a cowards way out. I beg to differ. It takes a hell of a lot of guts to cut your own wrists or jump off a bridge. Overdosing is the quick and easy way to do it and perhaps is a bit cowardly but many other methods take a lot of guts I reckon.

Apparently 1 in 3 people between the age of 13 and 19 seriously consider suicide. A lot of them do so because of pressure from exams or parents or from bullying. I have been really depressed in life before and though about it as a plausible option to take, but I know I would never have the guts to do it. People use suicide as a threat to other people, they think that by telling people they are going to kill themselves that they will get sympathy and their lives will be fine again.

So what do you think?
Should it be legal?
It is an easy way out?
Thu 26/06/03 at 21:21
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Thanks for that big opinion Mr Happy - v. much appreciated!
Thu 26/06/03 at 18:56
Regular
Somewhere along the line death got mixed up with change. It's those damn tarot cards, it is. Ban tarot cards, they confuse people.
Thu 26/06/03 at 18:34
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Suicide is something of a special case, as statistics indicate that, even in morally-conservative America, very few people are ever charged with attempting suicide. That's perfectly right. First, the accused is not only the perpetrator but also the victim and needs help rather than punishment. Second, the prohibitive effect of suicide being crime is non-existent, as no-one who is suicidal will be deterred from acting because they know it is illegal. That means that the only justification for punishing a suicide attempter is out of pure vindictiveness, something that's generally avoided (unless you're a paedophile). Thus the main reasons for suicide being illegal in other countries is not to punish people for attempting suicide but to ensure that it is also an offence if you aid, abet, counsel or procure a suicide. Secondary participation in crimes requires that there be a primary offence, for instance if I help someone to rob a bank by keeping watch than I will most likely be charged as an accessory to robbery; my liability flows from the original offence.

In Britain the law's pretty screwed up, because while it is no longer illegal to commit suicide, it has become a primary offence to help someone commit suicide. That might not mean much to the vast majority of the population, but it's a source of much annoyance for legal theorists who see it as an unjustifiable anomaly in the law. The other key thing is that in order to charge someone with the latter offence you have to get the Attorney General's permission. That basically means the AG looks at the facts and then decides whether or not it's in the public interest to prosecute. That's what the Diane Pretty case was all about. Her husband wanted the Attorney General to say whether or not he would prosecute in advance, and argument naturally progressed to the issue of whether it should still be an offence to assist suicide. Interestingly though, had Mr. Pretty not gone to the courts and just gone through with his wishes, it is highly unlikely that he would have been prosecuted, as one of the main reasons for the decision to prosecute if he went ahead was the publicity his case had generated.

We can justify this attitude to suicide because generally we accept that people have the right to do to their bodies what they want, and to prevent other people from doing stuff to them that they don't want. So it is legal to take drugs (but not supply or possess them) and if a person refuses vital treatment, then doctors can't do anything. However, when it comes to other people helping in self-harm, view shifts considerably. And so those who seek to help another commit suicide really get punished. In countries where it is illegal, making suicide a crime means that any element of voluntariness in the suicide cannot be used to justify aiding it. If the voluntary act is in itself illegal, then it is illegal to aid it in anyway. That makes it virtually impossible for doctors to find a way of introducing methods of euthanasia.

In Britain we decided that suicide should be legal, and that means that assisting a suicide should also be legal. Every single able-bodied person has the right to commit suicide without fear of legal punishment, and it is a right even if the vast majority do not wish to exercise it. however, some people, through no fault of their own, do not possess the physical capacity to commit suicide, and so require some assitance in the process. If people like Diane Pretty decide that they wish to die then they should be able to act on that wish just as an able-bodied person would be able to. The test of any equal rights program is the willingness to extend it to all rights, even those we disagree strongly with. And so I think suicide and the aiding of it should be legal.

That said, nothingness is an extreme way of blocking out depression. Surely any form of life whatsoever is better than not being able to feel anything. Those who contemplate suicide probably make the mistake of thinking that it will alleviate them of their problems, but relief is a feeling and dead people don't have them.
Thu 26/06/03 at 18:33
Regular
Suicide is the coward's way out. moving country and changing identity sounds more like it!
Thu 26/06/03 at 15:40
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Garlic Bread!? wrote:

> People who cut thier wrists and show people are doing it for
> attention, I think thats pathetic.

*Puts hands behind back*

So, moving on...
Thu 26/06/03 at 12:15
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Suicide takes alot of ball's to do, in other words, your situation must reeally suck for you to go through with it.

People who cut thier wrists and show people are doing it for attention, I think thats pathetic.
Thu 26/06/03 at 12:13
"I hate that!!!"
I would tend to agree with you there, pressure at home or school can trigger scuicidal thoughts.

I haven't exactly had the perfect childhood, but i guess i'm better of than most
Thu 26/06/03 at 11:33
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Pfft phillosophy!

:-P
Thu 26/06/03 at 11:27
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I thought that everyone knew "God" is the universe and the universe is "God". The very existence of then universe itself is a miracle; the universe is almost infinite, omniprescent and so on. Life and death are but two different states within it. Entropy dictates this, as all living things must end. Even the universe will end one day.

Then there will be nothing.
Thu 26/06/03 at 10:48
"I love yo... lamp."
Because to many, suicide is intrinsically linked to whether or not there is a God who created them. I don't like the thought of being some random chance by product.

Shocktrooper:
As God is a spirit, he wouldn't have a size as such. Also I don't know how he would have created everything. But I don't believe it was all in 6 days or anything like that. But if you were to be that powerful, then why couldn't you just click your fingers and have everything created instantly?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.