GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Enermax CS-305 Case"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/06/03 at 10:59
Regular
As I am building a whole new computer as well as taking the CD writer, DVD drive and 1 of the hard disks I was wondering about this Enermax case. At £70 it seems a bargin. I will be having a 120Gb ATA133 7200rpm hard disk which I plan to put inside a hard drive cooler unit, also have 40Gb ATA100 5400rpm which will be left out in the open. Also will be fitting 2 rear 80mm fans, 1 front 80mm fan as well as an 80mm fan in the roof(it has got a roof grill hasnt it?) and of course the side 80mm fan. With 5 fans as well as 2 hard drives(one in a cooler unit) and a CD writer and DVD drive will the 350 watt PSU be able to cope? As I will be having a XP2800 Barton as well as 2x512 DDR400 and a nice Radeon 9800 Pro which needs to be hooked up to the PSU. So with all this will the 350 watt PSU cope? I really would like this case as it has enough space for all the drives I need, has fan space for some nice cooling, and its cheap.

Also another question does the cathode light take up much power or generate too much heat? Also is it easy to remove if you dont actually want to use it?

Thanks for any advice, as I really want to make sure that the 350 watt PSU will cope with what I will be having. Hopefully I will be getting all the system parts in a few weeks.
Fri 13/06/03 at 07:55
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Miserableman wrote:
> adrian wrote:
> Case fans arent expensive, you can pick up some 80mm ones for
> £4
> or so.
>
>
> Good ones are expensive, you're looking at £10-£15 each

Yeah but they dont necessary perform better. Delta fans are known for very high CFM rates but have high db ratings. Then there are the silent fans that dont produce as much CFM as the Delta ones but are more quiet.

If your a serious case modder or really do need to have the money then yes spend them on £15 fans. But for the person who just wants some air flow and doesnt really want to spend that much then a £4 fan will probably be ok.
Thu 12/06/03 at 23:35
Regular
Or buy one of those cases with fans built in them.. but i'd like a minimum 2/3 fans.. If i get at least 2/3 fans in it ill be happy to use the retail Heatsink and fan as i dont overclock and it should be able to keep everything cool as most PSU's have dual fans aswell.
The Lian li range is pretty:
nice:http://www.lianli.com /11302001jcL_pc_case/jclpccase/products.html
Thu 12/06/03 at 23:34
Regular
"bing bang bong"
adrian wrote:
> Case fans arent expensive, you can pick up some 80mm ones for £4
> or so.

Good ones are expensive, you're looking at £10-£15 each
Thu 12/06/03 at 23:05
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
§niper wrote:
> Hmm would you get a good CPU heatsink and fan OR a case fan while
> using the retail heatsink and fan the CPU comes with the retail box.

Well the retail heatsink and fan arent that good to be honest. If your using your computer alot and are using alot of the CPU either by playing games, rending graphic, or what ever then its best to have a decent heatsink that will keep the CPU alot cooler under load. But case fans also help CPU cooling as well as keeping things like graphics cards and hard drives cool.

If a case is hot then the CPU will be that much hotter as well. So say a case of 35c has a CPU which runs at 45 idle and then maybe 58 at full load and the room temp is say 21c. Now the case is 14c hotter than the room and then the CPU at idle is 10c hotter than the case. Now if you add a few fans into the case and get the temp to 25c your CPU should follow to 35c idle even lower maybe 33c. Then your full load CPU temps may come down to 46c. So case temps are important to your whole set up.

Also with 7200rpm it is recommended that you do have some sort of airflow around them. Think that a hard drive gets very hot spinning around at that speed for hours and hours, so adding a few fans inside will keep hard drives that little cooler as the cool air will dissipate the heat.

Case fans arent expensive, you can pick up some 80mm ones for £4 or so. Easy to fit if you have the right holes on your case. You can plug the fans into spare sockets on your motherboard if you have them, or direct to you PSU via some splitters. Add a fan to the rear of the case, usually theres one next to the CPU. And then add one at the front of the case at the bottom.
Thu 12/06/03 at 22:50
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Turbonutter wrote:
> adrian wrote:
> having a nice Thermaltak
> Xaser 3 case.
>
> These don't exist :)
>
> Anyways, if youw ant decent heatsinks, Thermalright is the way
> forward. Top-end, if it doesn't have Thermalright written on the side
> it ain't worth looking at.

Damn I'll have to get a ThermaltakE Xaser 3 then. Looking at the SLK800 as thats a major heatsink, and one which I probably will be getting. Another good one is Vantec Aeroflow. The Vantec uses a unique copper and aluminium heatsink. Its know that copper draws the heat away from the CPU quickly but keeps a hold of the heat for longer. Aluminium dissipates the heat quicker. So having copper as the centre in the heatsink and then the aluminum as the out shell it gets rid of the heat quickly.
Thu 12/06/03 at 21:55
Regular
Hmm would you get a good CPU heatsink and fan OR a case fan while using the retail heatsink and fan the CPU comes with the retail box.
Thu 12/06/03 at 21:29
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
adrian wrote:
> having a nice Thermaltak
> Xaser 3 case.

These don't exist :)

Anyways, if youw ant decent heatsinks, Thermalright is the way forward. Top-end, if it doesn't have Thermalright written on the side it ain't worth looking at.
Thu 12/06/03 at 19:48
Regular
Lian li ones only have 4 luckily or that would be overkill.
Thu 12/06/03 at 19:46
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Miserableman wrote:
> Aluminium cases conduct heat better than that steel Thermaltake will, > unless you're REALLY forking out for the aluminium one. On top of that, > 7 case fans will sound like an aircraft taking off :O/

Maybe get the Aluminium one as its not much more. The 7 fans in the Thermaltake case are only 30db each. Also with db you dont combine 30x7 to get 210 db for all 7 case fans, as 31 db is twice as loud as 30db. So the case fans should equal 37 db which is very very quite, as alot of CPU fans on heatsinks can be 50-60 db and PSU fans are normal 30db or so. Hopefully should be a quiet PC, as well as a very good one.
Thu 12/06/03 at 16:56
Regular
"bing bang bong"
7 fans is excessive cooling - I have 5 fans in my case, two of which aren't even on. I could probably turn another two off before I'd notice any increase in temperature, although admittedly I don't trust my BIOS temp readouts as far as I could throw them.

If you really wanted superb cooling, I would go for a Coolermaster like Turbo recommended, or a Lian-Li. Aluminium cases conduct heat better than that steel Thermaltake will, unless you're REALLY forking out for the aluminium one. On top of that, 7 case fans will sound like an aircraft taking off :O/

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.