GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bands?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/06/03 at 19:08
Regular
Will I need to pay for a tutor for guitar or can I learn with books/software?
Tue 03/06/03 at 22:20
Regular
"you've got a beard"
G®åpô²ºº² wrote:
> Kyz22 wrote:
> Will I need to pay for a tutor for guitar or can I learn with
> books/software?
>
> Get a tutor

i MUST stress, this is NOT a must.
i learnt from books and from playing along with albums i owned (pick your favourite cd, buy the tab book and then just practice) and made a fair living off of it for a while, so don't feel you HAVE to get a tutor, it's good to find your own style....
>
> and dont go to local guitar shops as they tend to rip you off as they
> are the only one for miles.

no offense mate, but that's crap....
either that or you have a REALLY bad guitar store where you live :(
you'll find the smaller guys have a better customer/dealer relationship and atmosphere than a lot of the static big places, full of "look what i can do" salesmen...
Tue 03/06/03 at 22:16
Regular
"you've got a beard"
DOD make some good distortion pedals (the "grunge" pedal can get a good range of dirt sounds) which you can pick up for not much money these days, cheaper than the BOSS ones.
stear clear of Ibanez pedals though, they're not much cop.

if you want a decent amp that'll stand up to a lot of gigging, stick with Marshalls (the valvestates are sweet as anything and have a great distortion channel), my old band played literally hundreds of shows all over the country (marshalls are hella robust and don't break easily) and my little valvestate never gave me any problems at all.

as for the guitar, depends what kind of stuff you want to play...
for a good variety of sounds, get a korean or japanese Squier (made by fender as you probably know so good quality guitars) and put a HOT-RAILS style mini-humbucker at the bridge, less hiss and more tone!
Tue 03/06/03 at 22:08
gamezfreak wrote:
> I don't like my amp much, its annoying. The distortion effects on it
> suck.

buy some BOSS peddles then
Tue 03/06/03 at 22:05
Regular
I don't like my amp much, its annoying. The distortion effects on it suck.
Tue 03/06/03 at 22:04
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Oooh.

They've upgraded the deal. 15W amp now, but minus the stand.

£210.
Tue 03/06/03 at 22:02
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I got a cool Squier Strat pack last Christmas.

-Squier Strat (Black... Mmm :D)
-10W practice Amp
-Strap
-Plectrum
-Spare Strings
-Stand

All for about £200-250. Good deal.

www.guitar-mania.com was the address, I think.
Tue 03/06/03 at 21:59
"I love yo... lamp."
Definitely. Not only does it make you a much better guitarist, they will increase your musical horizons. I never listened to Steve Vai etc before I read the mag.

It also happens to be one of the funniest things ever. It has me in stiches from cover to cover. Plus very informative. Do you by any chance have Appetite For Destruction by Guns N' Roses? If so, in the credits on the sleeve notes notice Vic Deglio f**king assistant engineer. Thanks to Total Guitar I know why hes called that.
Tue 03/06/03 at 21:58
Mess wrote:
> Also it'd be helpful to learn all the theory side of stuff. Like all
> the notes and scales and things. That way when you and your band
> write songs you'll know what key they're in and be able to just whack
> out a lead solo/bridge section in quick time rather than fumbling
> about trying to found notes that fit.

2 words, Minor Pentatonic. Fits most rock songs and has an easy first position to learn.
Tue 03/06/03 at 21:30
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Cheers for the advice Biggles :-D
Tue 03/06/03 at 21:23
Regular
I'll be in your band.

Note - I live in Nottingham .

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.