GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Import DVD's"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/05/03 at 20:10
Regular
I just saw an advert for the 'DVD region X' for the PS2. This allows me to play region 1 dvd's on my PS2. So I'm gonna order one from SR next week.

But I now need to know some good region 1 dvd suppliers, I know of 'U.S Direct' has anyone ordered from them before and are they reliable enough? Also, I will be paying for discs by cheque, so online only companies are no good to me, so are there any other suppliers you know of that are good that supply catalogues?

Thanx.
Sun 11/05/03 at 16:39
Regular
www.play.com
www.cdwow.com << also have region 3 and 4 DVDs
www.ebay.co.uk << can be *very* cheap if you look hard enough
www.dcdvd.com
www.dvdworldusa.com
www.dvdbboxoffice.com
www.movietyme.com
Sun 11/05/03 at 14:27
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Lou Role wrote:
> It plays those RCE discs and doesn't require a code. I asume this
> player will play in colour as well.

Normally you get a scart cable with the player, dont know whether this is RGB or not so this should allow the picture to be colour. It should play in colour but if you have a really old TV then it may not be supported.
Sun 11/05/03 at 13:33
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I'm looking at the 'Kiiro x5 multi region 5.1 dvd player'

It plays those RCE discs and doesn't require a code. I asume this player will play in colour as well.

Only thing is, I read a review for it and apparently I need an update disc for it, so I'll see what's up with that before I order anything.
Sun 11/05/03 at 09:45
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Lou Role wrote:
> But I am using the cable I got with my PS2 and it plays DVD's without
> the green screen. I had to switch tellies when I got my PS2 because
> my old one had the green screen. I don't know if that means anything
> because I'm pretty thick when it comes to all these gadgets.

The green screen should only come into it if a RGB cable is used but not with the cable supplied. As I have said for me the cable that was given with the PS2 played Region 1 discs in black and white on my TV. But on the newer TV in the front room it was fine. I found that the PS2 lost sync with a couple of films so you had to keep pausing the DVD to get it to sync again.

If you are going to be getting quite a few imports as well as normal Region 2 discs then getting a Multi-regional player would be alot better. SR do quite a few with them as little as £69.99. Make sure you get one that plays RCE DVDs as some Region 1 discs use this and if the player cant play them your stuck. Some players you need to input a code to bring up a screen to select the region others are auto sensing so no code is required.
Sun 11/05/03 at 00:17
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Thanks Adrian, I didn't think Multi-region players could be found that cheap. I'll give this a bit of though because I am planning on getting a lot of import discs, and as I said, I don't know if my TV is compatable or not.

But I am using the cable I got with my PS2 and it plays DVD's without the green screen. I had to switch tellies when I got my PS2 because my old one had the green screen. I don't know if that means anything because I'm pretty thick when it comes to all these gadgets.

:)
Sat 10/05/03 at 22:57
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
cookie monster wrote:
> What kind of player do you use Adrian?

Yelo800 its not a well know player but I think that they also make the Kiro players now. It won an award in a DVD magazine for best DVD player in October 2000, so you can see it is an old one, but still does the job well. Got it from Amazon but they dont seem to stock them any more, they still have them on the website but no price etc.

It is a very good player, as it plays all Regions and RCE Region 1 discs. Auto sensing Region so I can stick a Region 1 DVD in and then switch to a Region 2 DVD with out changing a thing. Got all the normal audio settings and screen settings. Has lots of sound outputs including optical. Plays any VCD and SVCD that I have thrown at it. Never tried a MP3 cd. Seems to play every type of media like CDR, CDRW, DVDRW, DVDR etc. Has all the normal functions like Zoom, repeat etc. Also has a display button so that you can switch from NTSC, Multi and PAL. Ideal for watching Region 1 discs in the correct NTSC picture format.
Sat 10/05/03 at 21:34
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
What kind of player do you use Adrian?
Sat 10/05/03 at 21:29
Regular
.:: DW ::. wrote:
> I have a few Region One DVD's.
>
> For cheap. Hint hint. SR deleted my topic when I tried selling them.

Hi what DVDs have you got and how much are you selling them for?

email me at [email protected] with the titles and prices you would like for your DVDs and i will give you an answer.
Sat 10/05/03 at 19:38
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Lou Role wrote:
> Region X is also available for the X-Box, I may get better quality if
> I get the X-Box version.

Version on the XBox is not out yet well according to SR. Also you need to buy the XBox DVD remote as thats the only way to play DVDs on an XBox.

Anyway about your previous question you may have problems with Region 1 discs. If you get Region X on the PS2 then you also want to get a RGB cable as well. Not only will the RGB cable be better for games it should give colour to Region 1 discs. My TV is nearly 5 years old, maybe more in the actual model design but I have had it for 5 years. I can play Region 1 on PS2 via Region X in colour via the RGB lead but with the lead you get with the PS2(Composite 3 colour leads) I have Black and White. The TV in the front room is newer and can play Region 1 discs even with the composite cable.

Both the XBox and PS2 come with composite cables so you will need to shell out for a RGB cable most probably if your TV is as old as mine. The advantage is that the games will also look alot sharper as RGB cables provide a big increase in quality.

If your really going to collect and rent DVDs then just get a Multi-regional player. You can get a decent one with £100. I bought one as when I used my PS2 a few DVDs lost sync, so the audio and picture wouldnt match. Now my £120 multi regional player has no snyc problems plus plays VCD, SVCD and MP3 discs. Use VCD and SVCD alot probably more than DVD. So think about spending money on a seperate player if your going to be getting quite a few DVDs.
Sat 10/05/03 at 14:37
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Region X is also available for the X-Box, I may get better quality if I get the X-Box version.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.