GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Exams"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/05/03 at 15:27
Regular
Seeing as most of the clever and intelligent folk are in here I thought I would wish anyone else with exams, either at uni, school etc, all the best.
Good luck with the exams or the studying before hand.

Mine start next week so I am starting to study as much as I can, although trying to make myself do it seem to be the hardest part at the moment.

Anyway. Good luck to anyone with exams in the not too distant future
Wed 07/05/03 at 08:55
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Something I wrote a while ago that may or may not be relevant...

What I was hoping to talk about as it is a pertinent subject at the moment is exams. At this time of year, literally millions of people aged 16 to 22 are going through what will seem at that moment and without the benefit of later hindsight the most challenging and stressful time of their lives. For some it is GCSE's, others it is A-levels and others still are studying for a degree or diploma. And the reward that awaits them in their brave new world of extra qualifications? Well, I expect that, like all exam graduates of the past 10 years they will have their hard won achievements denigrated and dismissed by a bunch of crusty old farts who will insist that exams are getting easier, standards are slipping, and "it was much harder in my day".

Surely I'm not the only one who is getting sick of these old suckmonkeys declaring that because pass rates are up, standards must be down? Is it jealousy on their part perhaps; are they so utterly convinced of their own intellectual superiority that nobody could possibly have achieved a grade better than they did at that stage of their lives? Or could it be that they've seen some of the exam papers and had no difficulty themselves, entirely forgetting that the students do not have the benefit of the experience of actually having done the exams in the first place? Either way, they are wrong wrong WRONG!

Looking back now, my GCSE's were a piece of proverbial, my A-Levels caused little difficulty, and my degree and postgraduate exams were bearable. That is looking back. At the time they were the most horrendously difficult things in the entire world. GCSE's gave me heartburn, A-Levels made me sick with fear, and I'm amazed that I didn't develop an ulcer when studying for my finals. I struggled through them and was proud of my achievements, and it was genuinely upsetting to be told that I wouldn't have got nearly such grades if I'd done the exam 30 years earlier. How in the name of Beelzebub's fat member would they have known?

If standards really were falling at the rate that the old guard say, then I estimate that in a little over 10 years we will be able to grow some purple bacteria in a petrie dish and name it Gerald, enter it for a GCSE and it would stand a reasonable chance of passing with a C or above. And actually, whilst we're on the subject, can anyone offer me a plausible explanation as to the purpose of giving an A* grade? Other than making the achievement of getting an A seem that much less of an achievement, I really don't see the point. Doesn't it just make an A the equivalent of a B, B becomes C and so forth? Actually, maybe that's why some people say standards are slipping. Maybe they're just annoyed that they never had the chance to get an A* and the mere existence of that grade belittles their own exam results.

Perhaps I am giving a somewhat skewed view of this issue. I have a few other friends currently undergoing the ordeal of their university finals and I empathise with the panic that they are going through. The only person I know who is currently going through A-Levels's is one of the most frighteningly intelligent people I know for any age let alone age 18 (Good luck to all of you by the way). It just annoys me that they are going to be told at the end of it all that they are not as good as the generation before them, no matter how good their grades are.
Tue 06/05/03 at 22:37
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
I find a process of steralization for those I can catch and encouraging dangerous activities for those I can't helps to keep the idiots from breeding.
Tue 06/05/03 at 22:33
Regular
"You've upset me"
BEARDS. wrote:
and tough on the causes
> of idiots.

Human nature and natural selection/survivial of the fittest? Woo, quite a war you're waging there :-)
Tue 06/05/03 at 22:21
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Cubist wrote:
I have been in the top class for 4 years

Heh, news to me ;)
Tue 06/05/03 at 22:17
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
One examon June 2nd, 2 hours, 2 questions from choice of 6, then that's it until first week in October.

You gotta love University :)

I'll have to do my dissertation research though, but seeing as my dissertation is on Videogames I don't think that'll be any major stress :)

Good luck to everyone else, alternatively you could all revise tons so you know what you need to for the exams and leave the idiots relying on luck !
Tue 06/05/03 at 21:23
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
I'm not tough on Newbies. I'm tough on idiots, and tough on the causes of idiots.
Tue 06/05/03 at 20:27
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Blank wrote:
> I think I'm destined to become Beards.

Nah, the closest you'll get to becoming BEARDS is by growing your own goatie. No offence but you have to be both insane, easy going, tough with JATs and Newbies etc
Tue 06/05/03 at 19:54
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I think I'm destined to become Beards.
Tue 06/05/03 at 19:53
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
I will do good in them anyway and of course get into the 6th form (minumum 4 c's is within almost anyones grasp!). I got A's and B's in my mocks with only revising the day before, what I am saying is there is no point in worrying over an exam AT ALL. Be it something that is a routine test paper or something that may be a big career move. What happens, happens.

I beleive in destiny though, a lot of you might not and so will probably disagree with me on this one.
Tue 06/05/03 at 19:47
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Kyz22 wrote:
> Got my GCSEs in a matter of weeks but oddly I am not at all worried
> about them, besides the fact I am likely to flunk science. However I
> have my A levels next, then a degree, then I will get a job and nobody
> will enquire as to what I got for my GCSEs or A levels! Life is so
> stoopid!

For a start, GCSE Science (the double award at any rate) is piis easy. 75% gets you an A*.

Secondly, you'll probably be asked you're GCSE results at every single job you apply for forever. Unless it's something like an interview for a bin man job, but hey, you never know. Everyone has 11 GCSE's nowadays.

...well, I only took ten, so I don't, but...everyone else...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.