GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How to become a UK Game Designer?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/07/05 at 22:49
"MSR"
Hi I am Eseer and I want to be a game designer.

(Relates to Sony PS1-2-3 by.... umm if you want to design a PS3 game one day?)

I have rougth but not so sure ideas of how to become a game designer while living in the United Kingdom.

1- Create a Computer game at home and take it to a company.

2-

Do a
ICT Foundation Course (1 year)

and then a

ICT Intermediate Courses (1 Year)

to get the grades to do a

BTEC National Diploma for IT Practitioners Course.(2 Years) (software)

After passing with good grades apply at a University for a

Game Design Course.(3 Years)

After you come out of this course you should be ready to be employed.

Please reply if you agree, disagree or know of a diffrent way.

By Eseer
Fri 09/09/05 at 18:10
Regular
Yeah, they started developing it as a project for a masters degree at Cambridge and spun it into a company after that.

I'm sure they're onto Runescape II now anyway. They came up to Abertay looking for tools programmers and script writers when I was in third year so I toddled along to their presentation.

They also do work experience where you can live in uni halls in Cambridge over the summer, so if anyone near there is looking for a summer placement next summer, you should get in touch with them too :-).
Fri 09/09/05 at 18:07
Those guys have had time though, haven't they? Runescape has been here for years.
Fri 09/09/05 at 17:59
Regular
Jagex (the guys behind Runescape) have gone as far as writing their own scripting language for their missions even though it compiles into Java bytecode to give an even higher level of abstraction for their script writers.
Fri 09/09/05 at 17:55
Bonus wrote:

> But Java, Lua and Python are higher level languages being used by
> many develoeprs now to write mission and gameplay specific code like
> weapon or item effects on the players etc.

That's right, I've even heard of some artists using Python and the like, previously un heard of!

Though I'm not really using Cpp at the moment, I'm not strictly designing games as such. So you don't necessarily have to use Cpp all the time.
Fri 09/09/05 at 17:54
"period drama"
No, that's a lie.
GCSEs are completely irrelevant.
Fri 09/09/05 at 17:45
Regular
"Da num.01 rapper"
I asked about how to became a game designer and they told me I need did 2 GCSE's english - c and maths - c, Is it true?
Tue 06/09/05 at 21:55
Regular
If you want to be a designer a bit of Lua, Python, Java and C++ wouldn't go a miss.

C++ is what programmers use, so knowing the lingo for cumminicating with programmers would help, also in situations where the company your working for don't use scripting.

It's also useful to know if you're interesting in gluing scripting systems and game engines together.

But Java, Lua and Python are higher level languages being used by many develoeprs now to write mission and gameplay specific code like weapon or item effects on the players etc.
Tue 06/09/05 at 20:44
"period drama"
C++
Tue 06/09/05 at 20:42
"MSR"
Yo!

What programming languages do you recommend learning if you want to become a game designer?
Thu 18/08/05 at 20:02
I heard a story where some college dropout just popped into Lionhead one day and asked if there were any vacancies for testing. He's now one of the senior testers, apparently.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.