GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband Connection"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/01/09 at 18:56
Regular
Hello Guys

I am on Max 8 meg and am getting very slow speeds. Here are my stats:

Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 21 db 7 db
Noise Margin 10 db 22 db

I did a BT speedtest earlier as well and my iP profile was 7.1 Meg

All in all shouldnt I be getting a good speed?

I am currently getting under half a meg between 100kb-400kb

shocking.

Can anyone help?
Fri 10/07/09 at 15:55
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Hi Warhunt,
> I appreciate this isn't my thread but as an 'enthusiastic
> amateur' I like to try to understand things!
>
> I'm assuming your post is replying to Akanaten re. the
> capping/throttling remarks?
>

Of course, and to be honest I appreciate your unofficial support ;)

> Did you see BT report his IP Profile as a healthy 6500 which
> looks right to me?!
> IP
> Profile Table

Actually no I did not. (doh!) As I did note however its very hard to comment on his orginal results when our systems have no record of any contact from the EU, so it was more general advice.

> Where you say: "Freeola do not operate capping or
> throttling"
> the ALT (Anti Loss Tool) does restrict users throughput when in
> operation - that's a sort of throttling is it not ;¬)
>

It is a sort yes, but not operated by Freeola. We certainly do not look at customers accounts and cap them because they are downloading too much, and nor do our wholesalers which is what our OP was seeming to imply.
Fri 10/07/09 at 15:29
"Are you sure?"
Hi Warhunt,
I appreciate this isn't my thread but as an 'enthusiastic amateur' I like to try to understand things!

I'm assuming your post is replying to Akanaten re. the capping/throttling remarks?

Did you see BT report his IP Profile as a healthy 6500 which looks right to me?! IP Profile Table

Where you say: "Freeola do not operate capping or throttling"
the ALT (Anti Loss Tool) does restrict users throughput when in operation - that's a sort of throttling is it not ;¬)

I'm sure the OP will be along to answer but I thought I'd just make an observation...

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 10/07/09 at 15:15
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Freeola do not operate capping or throttling, and all advisers are aware of this.

It is likely that what was advised is the reducing of your IP profile based on your intermittency. I notice your account has no communication notes on record however, so I can not verify this information, or what you were informed.

The reduction of the IP profile is part of the rate adaptive service, not something we specifically do. BT systems determine profiles based on the lines performance, and only by achieving a stable connection for a set period of time they will raise it.

However Hmmm... advice may be worth considering (I will not repeat it). Should you still believe your connection is "faulty" please contact us via official methods so we can look into the account.

As a side note it is most unlikely anything would be effected by your downloading too much, and I can not think that you would have been advised this, especially after seeing that you are not really downloading what I would call "overuse" (Well within the usage to be honest)
Fri 10/07/09 at 14:28
Regular
Thanks for that. It' one check I didn't know about.
What miffed me off was the fact that there is nothing to notify you of black marks or the like!
We shall see:)
Fri 10/07/09 at 10:26
"Are you sure?"
Hi Akanaten, welcome to the forums.
That looks like you are on a good line there!

I'm guessing the ALT (Anti Loss Tool) was in effect due to your 'node' being busy (not enough capacity). So it's not just your speed that's been reduced but all the users connected to the node.

Check your Freeola IPSC Node Status the next time you are seeing those speeds. You can also see if you've been marked as a 'heavy user'.

If you've been a particularly heavy user then you may have some 'black marks'. If this number is 5 or more you will be affected by the high bandwidth user ALT settings. This can mean that when the ALT is in effect you might get slowed up more than others.

Search Freeola Chat
Thu 09/07/09 at 20:03
Regular
PS guys.

I live one street away from the exchange so no probs with distance.

Here are my speedTest results;

DSL connection; 7616 Downstream. 448 Upstream.
IP Profile; 6500kbps.
Actual IP throughput; 658.
Thu 09/07/09 at 19:59
Regular
Hi all.
yeh, I noticed my speed, which has always been at the top end, 750kbps download, had dropped to a measly 60kbps.

i did a speed test and phoned support and guess what, they told me they've started capping us! Thats right. Capping. Limiting us like all the other isp's do if they think we're downloading too much.

They say it's at BT's end, but as I pointed out, thats nothing to do with me. I pay, and have been doing for 4 yrs now, unlimited downloads, and there is nothing in their terms and conditions which mention anything about capping or over-use.

Only thing mentioned is that if you go over your quota, you will be charged 90p per Gb, fair enough. Totally acceptable.

They told me I had been downloading too much, 5X in the last month.
Sometimes I dont download anything for weeks but they didn't mention that! Seems strange they've just started doing this now. No notification, nothing.

I did not sign up to be limited on my downloads, thats why I came to Freeola and it annoys me that they seem to be doing this through the back door. If they're gonna start limiting us with capping, they should email all their customers and tell them.
Thu 09/07/09 at 11:45
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I assume the problem here lies with misinterpreted information. I have checked through your account and can see several examples of communication regarding your broadband account.

As always I do not wish to disclose any private information on our public forums, so I will attempt to reply as I can. However if you do wish to raise any issues you will need to do so via the official methods, which will be looked into appropriately.

I believe the issue you were having (as you have stated) is that you feel "Freeola are not giving you 8meg". For this I can only point out once more that the broadband service is rate adaptive. Whilst customers are not always happy with the speed they receive, it is generally the case that the line is provided the maximum it can handle.

In your situation you state that the line itself has been provided 8meg before, however this does not mean that the line has not experienced some issues causing its performance to drop. The same also applies to your "other line" that receives the full 8meg, they are two seperate lines and as such will perform differently.

You may wish to check your account however, as I note that no MAC has been requested.
Thu 09/07/09 at 09:05
"Are you sure?"
Hi welcome to the forums!
I'm not sure if you are after a reply, as it sounds as if you've made your mind up ;¬) But here goes...

You need to post your router/line stats so that people can try to see where the problem might be.

If you can also post the results from BT's speedtester.bt.com that would be useful.

Understanding ADSL post

Search Freeola Chat
Wed 08/07/09 at 23:56
Regular
Same here I am not in the best location as far as line distance goes but my Local Exchange has very low contention and I always had 8 Meg from Virgin until they started shaping then I changed to Entanet/Freeola and always had 8 Megs for over 2 yrs now I am down to a crawl at just over 2.5 Meg done all the usual line diags etc and know for sure it is an Issue with Pipes.

Sent an email to support and just get ignorance in replies and lies the usual bull! I run a Colo from London also and am not what you would call slow with Network Issues and they keep telling me it could be my Filter or someone jacking my Bandwidth on network with Wireless LOL I am ready to move on had enough of this crap MAC address requested.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/513210931.png

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.