GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband Connection"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/01/09 at 18:56
Regular
Hello Guys

I am on Max 8 meg and am getting very slow speeds. Here are my stats:

Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 21 db 7 db
Noise Margin 10 db 22 db

I did a BT speedtest earlier as well and my iP profile was 7.1 Meg

All in all shouldnt I be getting a good speed?

I am currently getting under half a meg between 100kb-400kb

shocking.

Can anyone help?
Sat 11/07/09 at 18:28
Regular
Thanks for that guys. Much appreciated. Light bulb now lit in brain :)
Sat 11/07/09 at 11:35
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Hmmm... wrote:

> To save others having similar confusion it might be worth
> re-visiting this statement? -
>
> Warhunt - "Freeola do not operate capping or
> throttling, and all advisers are aware of this.
"
>
> The ALT does throttle speeds when required and is part of the
> ADSL package that Freeola sell. So I would rather people just try
> to explain the situation as it is.

I believe this has been answered already by myself and BML, and I am not going to go over it again. I'll clarify 2 points though:

a) The OP (or Aka rather) suggested that he had been capped by Freeola regarding his overuse. Not so. We do not cap or throttle any line based on usage.

b) Freeola do not operate any capping or throttling. I can understand your point, however we do not have any control. If the wording of my statement confuses you I apologise, but the operation is not handled by Freeola.

Rather than continue trying to decide who's right when we both seem to agree on the same fundemental point why don't we just agree that ALT is annoying for some customers? ;D
Sat 11/07/09 at 11:11
"Are you sure?"
Akanaten wrote:
> But once again I can verify that I was told on my second phone
> call that my account had been flagged by BT as heavy usage...

Hi Akanaten,
Just to clarify things - to my knowledge it's NOT BT that flag you as being a heavy user so I would hope Freeola didn't report that. It's part of Freeola's EntaNet offering that monitors and controls that.

I am happy that the systems in place work well as long as enough capacity is made available so that the ALT isn't in effect too much :¬) It does seem to be getting rather busy lately meaning the ALT has been on more than it used to. Hopefully additional bandwidth will be made available if necessary to maintain a decent level of service.

Warhunt mentions it being a 'fact or life' that broadband is getting more popular - of course that's true and customers will expect their providers to cater for this by adding additional bandwidth etc.!
Freeola/Entanet have a good reputation regarding this and fair much better than a lot of other providers.

To save others having similar confusion it might be worth re-visiting this statement? -

Warhunt - "Freeola do not operate capping or throttling, and all advisers are aware of this."

The ALT does throttle speeds when required and is part of the ADSL package that Freeola sell. So I would rather people just try to explain the situation as it is.

FWIW I've been on Freeola ADSL for many years - 'my whole broadband life'; and continue to recommend it to others!

Hope this helps!

Search Freeola Chat
Sat 11/07/09 at 09:29
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Akanaten wrote:
> Reading the posts since mine went up, I cannot understand ''why'
> nothing has been logged against my phone conversations with
> Customer support!

Seems there were notes made they just did not appear when I looked at your account. I was too impatient waiting for them to appear :S

> But once again I can verify that I was told on my second phone
> call that my account had been flagged by BT as heavy usage X 5 in
> a month, hence the restrictive speed, and capping at the node.
>
> The starnge thing is, a few hours later the speed was up again?
> Something I thought would not happen till after say, Midnight, or
> weekends!

This is the case after all, as was correctly guessed on here. However ALT is not permanent and only lasts for the period that the node is under heavy contention. This is explained in another thread where me and Hmmm.... discuss. I can't locate it at the moment though (busy working).

We do not handle these things on a permanent basis. THink of it as such "The equipment is getting busy, not everyone is getting a conenction properly. Let's restrict people we who have proven to be heavy users first, then everyone else if it does not improve" Thats obviously very very simplified, but displays the point I think.

> Further to the earlier post's, I do understand where your coming
> from with all this, and I do understand your point, but all I'm
> saying is 'surely' BT have a right to notify Freeola when this is
> happening, and Freeola have a right to let the customer s
> concerned know? It would save a lot of messing around and
> frustration doing this test and that test, when an email is all
> it woild take?
>
> Thanks for your patience.

I can understand your point but logistically this is not viable. I believe most broadband users have at least some understanding of what peak times are (if not in BB terms in general life, things get busy). It is possible that some nodes may be affected every single evening, not likely but possible.

It is a general occurence and a "fact of life" with broadband getting much more popular unfortunately. Its also the case that most users will not notice it. I am sure the exchange locally must get very busy, but I myself hardly notice as I do not really do anything "heavy".

Don't hesitate to mention things like these, we would much prefer customers to understand the logic behind these decisions then be unhappy with the service, and we are always happy to clarify anything customers need us to.
Fri 10/07/09 at 22:25
Regular
Sorry guys for opening a can of worms with this. That was not my intension.

Reading the posts since mine went up, I cannot understand ''why' nothing has been logged against my phone conversations with Customer support!

But once again I can verify that I was told on my second phone call that my account had been flagged by BT as heavy usage X 5 in a month, hence the restrictive speed, and capping at the node.

The starnge thing is, a few hours later the speed was up again? Something I thought would not happen till after say, Midnight, or weekends!

Further to the earlier post's, I do understand where your coming from with all this, and I do understand your point, but all I'm saying is 'surely' BT have a right to notify Freeola when this is happening, and Freeola have a right to let the customer s concerned know? It would save a lot of messing around and frustration doing this test and that test, when an email is all it woild take?

Thanks for your patience.
Fri 10/07/09 at 19:49
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Hmmm... wrote:
> ButchML wrote:
> In a way, you are both correct.
>
> ???

If you could please re-read the post Hmmm... you can see that I was agreeing with you that Freeola customers can, on occasion, have their speeds restricted. Warhunt was also correct in his statement that this is not controlled (or operated) by Freeola.

> "...and nor do our wholesalers"
>
> ??? EntaNet are your 'wholesalers' aren't they?
> i.e. It's the Freeola Package...

Correct, we are an Entanet reseller. The packages we supply are Enta packages customised in certain areas to meet our needs, however this is nothing that can be discussed within these forums. The ALT is still controlled by Enta regardless. I'm sorry but I do not see your point on this last quote.
Fri 10/07/09 at 19:34
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
ButchML wrote:

> I believe the point Warhunt was making was that,
> despite this, Freeola does not turn the ALT
> on/off/high/low/whatever, this is controlled by the wholesaler.
>

I did say operated. Thought it was plain :(
Fri 10/07/09 at 19:27
"Are you sure?"
ButchML wrote:
> In a way, you are both correct.

???

"...and nor do our wholesalers"

??? EntaNet are your 'wholesalers' aren't they?
i.e. It's the Freeola Package...

I can see why people get confused! ;¬)

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 10/07/09 at 19:15
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Hmmm... wrote:
> You've got me all confused now :¬)
> Who do you think is 'operating' this if it's not part of Freeola
> ADSL?
>
> I'm sure the 'ALT' is part of the Freeola ADSL
> package
and will 'slow down' connections when there is a
> shortage of capacity - i.e. throttling connections when
> necessary.
>
> This would/could explain why the OP was getting bad throughput
> even though his line stats and IP Profile were excellent as shown
> by his BT Speedtester results!
>
> Is that not how you see things?

In a way, you are both correct. My current understanding of the Anti-Loss Toolis that it will affect Freeola internet customers in the same way it will impact on all Entanet reseller accounts (As well as any other ISP that runs a similar system for their IPSC Nodes). I believe the point Warhunt was making was that, despite this, Freeola does not turn the ALT on/off/high/low/whatever, this is controlled by the wholesaler.

The ALT will affect all users on the node if it does become extremely busy, the customers who are heavy users will be more affected than somebody only doing a few Gigs per month, for example. One would (correctly) assume that reducing the speed, even slightly, for the recognised 'high users' will help the node return to it's normal operating levels.
Fri 10/07/09 at 17:29
"Are you sure?"
Warhunt wrote:
> ...
> It is a sort yes, but not operated by Freeola. We certainly do
> not look at customers accounts and cap them because they are
> downloading too much, and nor do our wholesalers which is what
> our OP was seeming to imply.

You've got me all confused now :¬)
Who do you think is 'operating' this if it's not part of Freeola ADSL?

I'm sure the 'ALT' is part of the Freeola ADSL package and will 'slow down' connections when there is a shortage of capacity - i.e. throttling connections when necessary.

This would/could explain why the OP was getting bad throughput even though his line stats and IP Profile were excellent as shown by his BT Speedtester results!

Is that not how you see things?

Search Freeola Chat

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.