GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Monkeys in games - a history"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/01/01 at 17:15
Regular
It all started with Donkey Kong... and snowballed from there. yes, the monkey - the most celebrated primate in video games. Not only were there countless video games starring the Kongs, but there was also the classic Monkey Island series, Monkey Hero, a fantastic game called Monkey Puncher (it's not as immoral as it sounds) and many more.

Ok, so it's not exactly a long history, I just wanted an excuse to start a topic with the word 'monkey' in it. Please, share your views with me on the earth's greatest hairy ape - the monkey.
Tue 23/01/01 at 17:15
It all started with Donkey Kong... and snowballed from there. yes, the monkey - the most celebrated primate in video games. Not only were there countless video games starring the Kongs, but there was also the classic Monkey Island series, Monkey Hero, a fantastic game called Monkey Puncher (it's not as immoral as it sounds) and many more.

Ok, so it's not exactly a long history, I just wanted an excuse to start a topic with the word 'monkey' in it. Please, share your views with me on the earth's greatest hairy ape - the monkey.
Tue 23/01/01 at 18:37
The (crap) Turok series has always had monkeys in. You had to shoot them in one of the multiplayer modes.
Tue 23/01/01 at 18:45
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
The best sports game featuring a hairy, monkey-like creature is probably Pete Sampras Tennis.
Tue 23/01/01 at 18:48
Regular
Something smells here! Urggh it smells like gone off cheese!

I think you'll find that the Turok series is one of the most popular games series's ever! It's probably the most popular series by Acclaim!
Tue 23/01/01 at 18:54
I s'pose the games were alright, but I got Turok 2 the same day as goldeneye, and Turok 3 the same day as PD. I got Rage Wars as a freebie from SR, and I thought it was reasonable.
Tue 23/01/01 at 18:56
Regular
I agree that the Turok series is nothing compared to the likes of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark but they are still great games!
Tue 23/01/01 at 19:11
Regular
Sorry Edgy, but I ever liked the Turok series one bit. Bit boring if you ask me.

On the subject of Monkeys, I managed to win my first game on this site under the nickname "Monkey"... (Don't even think of asking why...)

Oh yeah. The rip off of Donkey Kong... Crazy Kong. That's one.

Tue 23/01/01 at 19:21
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Turok one was good, the levels were big and the enemies responded to where you hit them on their body, and much more. Pure class.

Everyone cried out for a muliplayer version

Turok 2 was born. Ridiculuosly huge levels, and a dissapointing muliplayer (and dull one player). Sold loads because it was over hyped.

"Wow!" acclaim thought. "That sold so well that we should make another turok game with only a multiplayer!"
And so they did.
You can see how good this game was by noticing that SR game it away for membership renewals and by it's absurdly low price in the mag.

Anyway, back to the topic. Monkey's wasn't it?

um........it appears I can't think of anything much to say about monekys.
Nintendo seem to like them though. Quite a few have appeared in the more recent zelda/mario games...
Tue 23/01/01 at 19:45
You have to rescue a monkey towards the start of Zelda 2 dont you?
Tue 23/01/01 at 19:49
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Wow, this monkey topic has really taken off! Contribute to this forum and you stand the chance to win a monkey of your choice*, every day with MonkeyADay.co.uk!

*Gorillas excluded

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.